A plea for help leads to jail

Started by Smuckatelli, February 09, 2012, 10:44:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smuckatelli

It's dated but I couldn't find a good sub-forum for it:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/80941044/Matthew-Corrigan-v-District-of-Columbia

Note; It wasn't legal for him to have guns in D.C......

The lawsuit is about the Fourth Amendment.

LongBlade

Didn't the DC gun ban get overturned?

I suppose this took place before that happened.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Smuckatelli

Quote from: LongBlade on February 09, 2012, 10:51:56 AM
Didn't the DC gun ban get overturned?

I suppose this took place before that happened.

Yes, it did and this happened before it was overturned.

I'm pretty sure that the guns are a non issue in that they conducted a search without a warrant or permission from him.

JarHead...is that an accurate assessment?

son_of_montfort

QuoteOfficer John Doe I stated: "I don't have time to play this constitutional bullshit!"

Why does the force hire guys with such generic names...  ;)

Also "play this constitutional bullshit." Yeah, that's going to go over REAL well. Is it also a crime to attempt suicide? I know some areas still criminalize this, which makes sense from a State perspective but never made sense from an individual perspective.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

LongBlade

If I read the complaint correctly, he called because he was having trouble sleeping and not because he was suicidal. He thought he was calling a Vets hotline - he apparently got the wrong number and called a suicide hotline instead.

Now, it was illegal at the time for him to possess weapons in DC. That was kinda dumb. But the guy who made the call to kick in the door without a warrant may be too hotheaded for the job. There was no urgency to get inside his place - it was just him and his dog. They should have gone to a judge and requested a warrant. It most likely would have been granted.

Because of that dumb move the entire case is in jeopardy of being thrown out. And the guy is vindicated because the DC gun ban was overturned.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Smuckatelli

Quote from: son_of_montfort on February 09, 2012, 11:14:09 AM
QuoteOfficer John Doe I stated: "I don't have time to play this constitutional bullshit!"

Why does the force hire guys with such generic names...  ;)

They were born in 1965.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dpGmAc3kMk