Trials and tribulations of owning a house

Started by Jarhead0331, February 06, 2021, 11:27:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

^It basically is due to negligence...the negligence of the town supervisor to remove an ancient, unused gas pipe when he was notified about it and then caused more problems.

Our Mayor has been great to work with and every day since then our DPW has been up there working to remediate. May not be enough for my one neighbor who wants to be re-paid (so he can repay us) but they have been doing a lot of work so far.

Additional work may have to wait until summer.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on January 10, 2023, 01:24:02 PM
^It basically is due to negligence...the negligence of the town supervisor to remove an ancient, unused gas pipe when he was notified about it and then caused more problems.

Our Mayor has been great to work with and every day since then our DPW has been up there working to remediate. May not be enough for my one neighbor who wants to be re-paid (so he can repay us) but they have been doing a lot of work so far.

Additional work may have to wait until summer.

Your problem will be one of timing. In New York State when asserting claims against municipalities and government agencies, there are very strict Notice of Claim requirements that must be complied with as a condition precedent to commencing suit. Depending on when the flood event took place, you could very well already be out of luck. However, if there have been successive events, then you might still be in the game.

Assuming litigation is viewed as a viable and desirable option, of course...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

Yes this was the 2nd time it happened in under a year. Before the past year it never happened at all.

On top of all this is the ongoing construction of The Wife's Fortress of Solitude (three season room) which is now in its third month and I am very ready for it to be done.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Windigo

Construction in the winter, always a drawn-out plethora of challenges.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Windigo on January 11, 2023, 11:27:31 AM

My experience as a construction attorney is that there are a drawn-out plethora of challenges no matter the season!  :pullhair:

I guess I shouldn't be complaining...it keeps me in business.  :notworthy:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Construction Attorney? Is that because you're the one who has to build the case?  :2funny:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 11, 2023, 01:54:57 PM
Construction Attorney? Is that because you're the one who has to build the case?  :2funny:

Yes. It is necessary to build the case pursuant to very carefully drafted plans and specifications in order to demolish my adversaries. It is very rewarding to hammer the opposition and put the nails into their coffins.

In reality, I've been trying to scale back on the litigation and have been focusing on the transactional aspect of construction...contract drafting, review and administration, etc.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Windigo

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 11, 2023, 11:48:35 AM
Quote from: Windigo on January 11, 2023, 11:27:31 AM

My experience as a construction attorney is that there are a drawn-out plethora of challenges no matter the season!  :pullhair:

I guess I shouldn't be complaining...it keeps me in business.  :notworthy:

I only had one issue with a new construction... the stamped concrete driveway was a frictionless surface in the winter... I insisted that they (the builder) comeback and change it on their dime... their solution was an epoxy/grit top coat. Worked well for the one year that I lived there.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 11, 2023, 02:18:19 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on January 11, 2023, 01:54:57 PM

Yes. It is necessary to build the case pursuant to very carefully drafted plans and specifications in order to demolish my adversaries. It is very rewarding to hammer the opposition and put the nails into their coffins.

and you wonder why people question your humor?   :DD  how did you miss it.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

We had our house gutted, renovated and enlarged about 10 years ago and thank God it went perfectly. Same general contractor building The Wife Wing now so we are hoping for the more of the same. The difference is that I was living in my in-laws basement while the construction was going on, and my daughters were 6 and 4 years old then...both better and worse, I suppose.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

So in addition to The Wife Wing being constructed we are jettisoning the old disgustingly sticky playroom carpeting that lined my daughters' study space and playroom and turning it into a 'theater room' with new silly-big tv and dog proof 'Lovesac' sofa with embedded subwoofer (!!!)

I think in my entire life I've replaced carpet once - I forgot how much of a pain in the ass it is moving everything out of the first set of rooms while the old carpet is torn out but damn is it satisfying seeing the new carpet in  :tophat: 

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

So the dog-proof sofa has a sub-woofer in it...  :cool:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

We recently had our floors re-done. I went with the crew who moved all the furniture FOR YOU. Worth every extra penny.  :ThumbsUp:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.