Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

In the video I referenced, the British chap said clearly that the Ukraine would be in a much better position vs the Russian Air Force with American and or Swedish Fighter Jets. And... that that would require time to get the Ukrainians equipped and trained in their use. A Cease Fire would give them that time to do just that. And without the worry of having the Russians shooting at them while they did it. If you think outside the box, it makes sense.

Skoop, did you MISS the part where the British guy said plainly the Russians are using their long-range missiles on their fighters to keep the UAF fighters well away from the front lines possibly giving the Orcs a big advantage tactically? A Cease Fire would also help with this as well. Wouldn't it? Try not assuming that people who are asking questions meant to promote discussion are secretly trying to argue with you.  :hug:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

So, today I discovered we live in a world where Yahoo News gets to break embarrassing news to Russia:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/exclusive-ex-russian-spy-flees-to-the-nato-country-that-captured-him-delivering-another-embarrassing-blow-to-moscow/ar-AA14faRU?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=U531&cvid=8e31c112d8874d5eaf96641990bf080f

Michael Weiss, reporting for Yahoo News US (with additional reporting by Holger Roonemaa), has been working on this story for a while (it's a long article), about a Russian GRU agent (military intelligence) previously caught by Estonia and traded back to Russia for an Estonian, who has now used his spycraft to defect to Estonia -- without Russia knowing about it yet.

Quote"The Russians have no idea," Alexander Toots, the head of Estonian counterintelligence, tells me, laughing. "They have absolutely no idea he is here. You can be the one to tell them."

In early October, the Estonian government granted Yahoo News unprecedented access to Zinchenko. Over the course of four hours he offered up his autobiography, reflective and remorseless, detailing his supporting role in the mostly unseen shadow play between Russian espionage and Western efforts to thwart it. As Zinchenko told it, his decision to defect was as much motivated by the Kremlin's brutality at home and abroad as it was by what he saw as Estonia's humanity toward him, an enemy agent.

Of course, this could be a special maskirovka op by the GRU, pretending to defect. But I'm sure everyone has thought of that already and taken steps to minimize any potential problems.

Does remind me that I've never gotten around to reading Suvorov's autobiography, and history of the Spetznaz.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

GDS_Starfury

many pages ago there was a post about UkAF pilots already training in the US.
the process has already started with no cease fire needed or wanted.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 18, 2022, 08:31:54 AM
So, today I discovered we live in a world where Yahoo News gets to break embarrassing news to Russia:

Wow, never thought that Yahoo news was anything more than just a news consolidator.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Sir Slash

Thats got to ratchet-up Putin's paranoia about 50 points. Do I detect a sudden epidemic of, 'Open-Window Falling Syndrome' approaching?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Quote from: ArizonaTank on November 18, 2022, 10:50:54 AM

Wow, never thought that Yahoo news was anything more than just a news consolidator.

Same. I looked through that article several times trying to figure out where they were consolidating it from, but...!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Crossroads

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/exclusive-ex-russian-spy-flees-to-the-nato-country-that-captured-him-delivering-another-embarrassing-blow-to-moscow/ar-AA14faRU?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=U531&cvid=8e31c112d8874d5eaf96641990bf080f

Michael Weiss, reporting for Yahoo News US (with additional reporting by Holger Roonemaa), has been working on this story for a while (it's a long article), about a Russian GRU agent (military intelligence) previously caught by Estonia and traded back to Russia for an Estonian, who has now used his spycraft to defect to Estonia -- without Russia knowing about it yet.

Quote"The Russians have no idea," Alexander Toots, the head of Estonian counterintelligence, tells me, laughing. "They have absolutely no idea he is here. You can be the one to tell them."

In early October, the Estonian government granted Yahoo News unprecedented access to Zinchenko. Over the course of four hours he offered up his autobiography, reflective and remorseless, detailing his supporting role in the mostly unseen shadow play between Russian espionage and Western efforts to thwart it. As Zinchenko told it, his decision to defect was as much motivated by the Kremlin's brutality at home and abroad as it was by what he saw as Estonia's humanity toward him, an enemy agent.

Of course, this could be a special maskirovka op by the GRU, pretending to defect. But I'm sure everyone has thought of that already and taken steps to minimize any potential problems.

Does remind me that I've never gotten around to reading Suvorov's autobiography, and history of the Spetznaz.

A while ago there was another rather long interview with Aleksander Toots. also with his Latvian and Lithuanian collegues. Wonder what's with this new openness. Maybe they just want to inform the public it's not pretty out there...

https://ekspress.delfi.ee/artikkel/120083694/human-life-has-no-value-there-baltic-counterintelligence-officers-speak-candidly-about-russian-cruelty
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Windigo

Any more word about what is going on (or past tense, happened) out on the spit?
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Windigo on November 18, 2022, 12:24:01 PM

Almost nothing. 

Russians said that they wiped out an attempted landing there, killing 20 and destroying 4 landing ships, but I've seen no photographic evidence to support that.  UAF said nothing about a landing and said they were launching rocket and arty strikes on the Spit to hit Russian entrenchments and supply dumps there. 

It's possible the Arty strikes prompted the story of a landing. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

ArizonaTank

Quote from: SirAndrewD on November 18, 2022, 03:05:01 PM
Quote from: Windigo on November 18, 2022, 12:24:01 PM

Almost nothing. 

Russians said that they wiped out an attempted landing there, killing 20 and destroying 4 landing ships, but I've seen no photographic evidence to support that.  UAF said nothing about a landing and said they were launching rocket and arty strikes on the Spit to hit Russian entrenchments and supply dumps there. 

It's possible the Arty strikes prompted the story of a landing.

There was a video of a handful of small boats that said it was showing Ukrainian forces about to land on the spit (I think our man Denys Davydov had it on one of his daily updates). But there was really no way to tell if real video or not; it could have been a pre-war exercise for example. Also, if it was real, then it would have only been a raid or just recon. Did not see anything heavy, and certainly no logistics.

Denys hasn't mentioned the spit for a handful of days now. That either means news blackout or just 'no news.'

BTW, I am not a big fan of Denys, but I find his presentation mildly entertaining, and I let it run the background while I do other things.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

FarAway Sooner

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on November 18, 2022, 08:33:02 AM
many pages ago there was a post about UkAF pilots already training in the US.
the process has already started with no cease fire needed or wanted.

The comments about Ukraine needing to rebuild a tactical air force are a specific reference to the Carroll/Bronk interview posted by JH (and reposted by me) upthread.  If you haven't watched the interview, it's detailed, nuanced, and highly informative. 

It also pretty directly contradicts the second sentence of your post.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: ArizonaTank on November 18, 2022, 03:42:20 PM
BTW, I am not a big fan of Denys, but I find his presentation mildly entertaining, and I let it run the background while I do other things.

I do the same with him, especially recently.

My impression was that he had a really good source early in the summer that gave him some great info that turned out to be correct, so there was a period where I was tuning into him more seriously. 

I think that source is now, for some reason, unavailable to him as I've seen him gravitate more to wishful thinking and speculation in his reports rather than good info.

I saw his coverage of the Kinburn Spit landing and I agree, the images looked like stock footage and I haven't seen anyone confirm that it was actual footage of the supposed raid.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

bobarossa

There was an video some time ago about UKr pilots putting together their own training simulators for training on F16's (I think).  They had even hired some ex-pilots.

And what are we going to do for war info and entertainment if Twitter collapses in the next week.  Telegram? ISW?

Jarhead0331

Interesting interview on corruption in the Ukrainian military and in the foreign legion, in particular.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Windigo

Thanks for the responses. I too saw the early video and read the russian response. Seemed like it was too strong a social media signal, too early in the supposed operation to be legitimate... yet it persisted.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.