Sad Passing: Christopher Dean of NWS

Started by ArizonaTank, December 02, 2021, 05:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaTank

Anyone who has purchased more than a few computer or board based wargames will probably have bought products from NWS Wargaming Store.

NWS is a great wargaming institution.

Sadly Christopher Dean who built and ran it has passed. That is all I know.

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/.1de3fc2c

Another fine member of our wargaming community is gone. RIP.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Gusington

I am very sorry to hear this. I dealt with him a lot over the years and he was always a good guy. RIP

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Grim.Reaper

Wow that is really sad and tough to see.  Think recently he lost both his father and wife in a small period of time.

Jarhead0331

OMG. What terrible terrible news. I am so sorry to learn of this.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

CJReich46

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Destraex

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Sir Slash

Very sad indeed. A Gaming Great and a decent person to boot. He will be sorely missed.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

I wonder what will happen to the store now.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Gusington on December 02, 2021, 08:00:24 PM
I wonder what will happen to the store now.

This was posted by the rule the waves developer....-

It is my sad duty to announce that Christopher Dean, NWS Owner/Store Operator, passed away this last evening: Dec 1, 2021. He was an associate of mine for 20+ years, but more importantly he was a good friend for whom I could always count on. He will be sorely missed by myself and those who knew him - Chris would always have a kind/funny thing to say to perk up someone who was down, and IMHO he truly cared about "his" customers, personally telephoning and speaking to many of them over the years about their store issues, and sometimes even just to see how they were doing.

Right now the NWS Online Storefront, while technically 'open' is not actively manned, so for now I strongly encourage potential customers to hold off purchases until arrangements can be made to officially close the current store and open a new one - this may take a bit of time, as I suspect anyone who has dealt with such matters may attest to. I will make an announcement here when it officially opens.

If you purchase/recently purchased RTW2 you may PM me on these forums and I will activate your game for you, and will continue to do so until we get a new store system up and running. I will state the following because it is something that Chris and I discussed after his wife Chininia passed away a few weeks ago: Wargames are our passion, and not just a 'job' for us. NWS is still an ongoing entity, and will still continue to produce and sell our games, including existing and future (such as the upcoming RTW2 Expansion) games.

Gusington

^Thanks for posting. That jogged my memory.

Many years ago I special ordered a game from NWS (I think it was Freespace 2) and Christopher called me to make sure everything was ok. IIRC he did that several times over the years.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Pete Dero

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 02, 2021, 08:45:28 PM
I will state the following because it is something that Chris and I discussed after his wife Chininia passed away a few weeks ago.

Very sad news.

Both gone in a couple of weeks.

Anguille

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)