Zimmerman Verdict

Started by OJsDad, July 13, 2013, 09:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

GDS_Starfury

let the riots begin.   ::)
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

CptHowdy

not sure what the murder statute in fla states but it seems the states attorneys made a huge tactical mistake in going for a murder charge. i guess they thought the national attention and high emotions would carry them to a guilty verdict. seems a second degree or manslaughter charge would have been more appropriate and easier to prove.

Gusington

Hmm...I hope there's no riots.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bayonetbrant

manslaughter was an option that the judge gave the jury
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Steelgrave

If there are riots, they need to send the bill to Al Sharpton. The tiny amount of respect that I still have for our judicial system has been bolstered by this verdict. Despite bending the rules every which way they could, despite a judge who should be investigated and sanctioned, despite a DA withholding evidence until the last minute, despite overcharging, political interference, and being tried and found guilty by MSNBC....the jury reached the correct verdict.

I'm almost stunned.

CptHowdy

"The prosecution failed to convince the jury that Zimmerman had "a depraved mind without regard for human life" when he shot Martin, which was required for second-degree murder. A lesser manslaughter conviction could have been handed down if the jury believed Zimmerman had no lawful reason to kill Martin, even if he bore Martin no ill will. The law says if Zimmerman had a "reasonable" belief that his own life was in jeopardy or that he could suffer bodily harm from Martin, he was justified in killing him." pulled from yahoo story.

i stand corrected. he was charged with 2nd degree murder and manslaughter was an option. i still say they made a huge mistake. there was a struggle, doesnt matter why but there was. prosecution should have went for some type of accidental death charge. self defense defense and a struggle. did they really think they could get a conviction on either charge? i bet they hoped zimmerman would take a plea deal and when he didnt they were kinda stuck with going ahead with what they did.

CptHowdy

im sure the family will sue zimmerman and probably win. didnt the brown family sue OJ and win even though he was found not guilty in criminal court??

Staggerwing

I was thinking about that as well. 'A preponderance of the evidence' can be easier to establish than 'beyond any reasonable doubt'.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

eyebiter

Notice the Florida IT guy who gave suppressed evidence to the Zimmerman defence team got canned on Friday.  Coincidence?

Steelgrave

In a civil trial, it is unlikely that Zimmerman will have the deck stacked against him quite as strongly. Plus much of the evidence which was withheld would likely be admissible, so pawning Martin off as an innocent kid won't be as easy. I'm the first to say that anything can happen inside a courtroom, but this case was given to the prosecution with bases loaded and the jury still found Zimmerman innocent. So I'm not as sure that a civil case would be automatic.

And if I'm Zimmerman, the fired IT guy is first on my witness list!

bayonetbrant

Quote from: CptHowdy on July 13, 2013, 09:53:13 PMim sure the family will sue zimmerman and probably win.

based on what (little) I know of civil trials, they'll probably win, too.  If Zimmerman stays in his truck and drives the other way, Martin doesn't get shot.  They'll play that to the judge/jury to show that Zimmerman's actions likely cased Martin's death.  The thing is, they're probably right.  Doesn't make him guilty of murder, but Zimmerman had the choice to leave the scene and chose not to take it.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Steelgrave

Zimmerman was a participant in a police-sponsored neighborhood watch program. It's not like he was leaving the 7-11 at the same time and just decided to follow Martin  :P  I'm sure a civil trial will be forthcoming, I'm far from sure it's a slam dunk.

Steelgrave

Of course, given the politicalization of this case from the start, a civil case may not be Zimmerman's next obstacle.....

NAACP Chairman Roslyn M. Brock: "Today, justice failed Trayvon Martin and his family. We call immediately for the Justice Department to conduct an investigation into the civil rights violations committed against Trayvon Martin. This case has re-energized the movement to end racial profiling in the United States."

NAACP President Benjamin Todd Jealous: "We are outraged and heartbroken over today's verdict. We stand with Trayvon's family and we are called to act. We will pursue civil rights charges with the Department of Justice, we will continue to fight for the removal of Stand Your Ground laws in every state, and we will not rest until racial profiling in all its forms is outlawed.

Oh yeah, let's get the "Justice" Department involved...well, I mean more involved than they've already been   >:(

And you know....the talking heads keep referring to Florida's Stand Your Ground Law....even though it specifically was not used in the Zimmerman defense! Stupid, just stupid.

Martok

Quote from: OJsDad on July 13, 2013, 09:01:58 PM
Not Guilty!
Good.  I'll admit to being pleasantly surprised by the verdict, but I'm not complaining. 

Quote from: Steelgrave on July 13, 2013, 10:35:47 PM
Of course, given the politicalization of this case from the start, a civil case may not be Zimmerman's next obstacle.....

NAACP Chairman Roslyn M. Brock: "Today, justice failed Trayvon Martin and his family. We call immediately for the Justice Department to conduct an investigation into the civil rights violations committed against Trayvon Martin. This case has re-energized the movement to end racial profiling in the United States."

NAACP President Benjamin Todd Jealous: "We are outraged and heartbroken over today's verdict. We stand with Trayvon's family and we are called to act. We will pursue civil rights charges with the Department of Justice, we will continue to fight for the removal of Stand Your Ground laws in every state, and we will not rest until racial profiling in all its forms is outlawed.
::)

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces