Zimmerman Verdict

Started by OJsDad, July 13, 2013, 09:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCommandTent

It is good to see that the jury was able to handle this in an impartial way.  Once the trail started and we could all see the facts straight from the source without the media spinning everything and making assumptions I believe there was more than reasonable doubt to find him innocent of murder.  This is further reinforced by the fact that they didn't even come back with a manslaughter charge when it was on the table.   But than again I'm a WASP so my opinion is worth nothing and I am automatically a racist.  ::)
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

OJsDad

I'm wondering if a civil lawsuit against Zimmerman will gain much traction, simply because he could counter sue for being attacked and suffering mental, physical, and financial distress from it.  Both parties then agree to drop their suits.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Jarhead0331

It is disgusting that the NAACP is pressuring the FEDERAL government to conduct a civil rights investigation into this matter.  You know what?  Eric Holder is just dumb enough to think he has the authority to do it, too.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

OJsDad

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 14, 2013, 01:22:00 PM
It is disgusting that the NAACP is pressuring the FEDERAL government to conduct a civil rights investigation into this matter.  You know what?  Eric Holder is just dumb enough to think he has the authority to do it, too.

I don't think it will take too much pressure on Holder to make a move. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Steelgrave

So Obama has now issued a statement saying that we can honor the memory of Treyvon Martin by "doing all we can to stem the tide of gun violence". No irony there at all, considering that one of the 2000 pics or texts kept from the jury involved Martin wanting to buy a gun. I would take the President much more seriously if he hadn't politicized this case from the get-go, or if he were talking about the black on black gun violence that is rocking his hometown of Chicago, or if he wasn't pushing gun control at every opportunity. But yeah, I know....none of that fits the narrative he wants.

One things for certain. Zimmerman will continue to be vilified in the press and by the left, Martin will be made into a martyr by the same forces, and the forecast is for greater political and social polarization. All for an incident that none of us would have ever heard of if it hadn't been seized upon by people with an agenda.

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

I agree with your post above Steelie. That said, Zimmerman was an overzealous fool who could have avoided all of this if he just stayed where he was as the police dispatcher told him to.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Steelgrave

Quote from: Gusington on July 14, 2013, 03:59:44 PM
I agree with your post above Steelie. That said, Zimmerman was an overzealous fool who could have avoided all of this if he just stayed where he was as the police dispatcher told him to.

It was certainly avoidable on his part and, while no reasonable person could conclude that Zimmerman was guilty of murder, his poor choices led to a confrontation that changed many people's lives, including his own. For however long he lives, this incident will forever be a part of him and will be something he has to live with.

mirth

Quote from: Steelgrave on July 14, 2013, 04:47:30 PM
Quote from: Gusington on July 14, 2013, 03:59:44 PM

It was certainly avoidable on his part and, while no reasonable person could conclude that Zimmerman was guilty of murder, his poor choices led to a confrontation that changed many people's lives, including his own. For however long he lives, this incident will forever be a part of him and will be something he has to live with.

Well said by both of you.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

OJsDad

I'm not clear on this point, did Zimmerman approach Martin, or did Martin approach Zimmerman after he thought he was being followed

Steelgrave

Quote from: OJsDad on July 14, 2013, 09:13:47 PM
I'm not clear on this point, did Zimmerman approach Martin, or did Martin approach Zimmerman after he thought he was being followed

Zimmerman said that Martin approached him. The girl who was speaking with Martin on the phone seemed to corroborate this with her testimony in court, yet another witness for the prosecution who actually aided Zimmerman.

OJsDad

Quote from: Steelgrave on July 14, 2013, 09:25:11 PM

Zimmerman said that Martin approached him. The girl who was speaking with Martin on the phone seemed to corroborate this with her testimony in court, yet another witness for the prosecution who actually aided Zimmerman.

So, except for getting out of his truck, he didn't do anything to attract Martin to him?

Is that where the 'Cracker' comment came from?

Steelgrave

Quote from: OJsDad on July 14, 2013, 09:28:16 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on July 14, 2013, 09:25:11 PM

So, except for getting out of his truck, he didn't do anything to attract Martin to him?

Is that where the 'Cracker' comment came from?

He was following Martin in his truck against the advice of the 911 dispatcher, and he left his truck supposedly to check the address (it was raining) to pass it on to the cops. Martin realized he was being followed as he talked to the girl. At that point, either Martin doubled back to confront Zimmerman (as Zimmerman claims) or Zimmerman escalated the situation by confronting Martin.

And yes on the "cracker" comment.

MikeGER

...the dispatcher only gave Zimmerman the advice not the order to stay in his truck and only for the safety of Zimmerman
(because he was alone and is not trained like a cop to react to assault, and probably had no vest against stabbing /small caliber either)
It was his duty (if he would choose to take the risks involved) to even march up to the "hoody guy " and say: "hey pilgrim i am from Neighborhood Watch , cold night to walk in the rain, can i offer you a ride in my truck home..."

bayonetbrant

Quote from: MikeGER on July 15, 2013, 05:36:21 AM...the dispatcher only gave Zimmerman the advice not the order to stay in his truck and only for the safety of Zimmerman (because he was alone and is not trained like a cop to react to assault, and probably had no vest against stabbing /small caliber either)
He was given the advice b/c (according to the police in Sanford) their policy is not to give orders to the population unless they are directly interfering with an imminent police action.
That's a standard almost anywhere, according to the police officer here I talked to, as the cops are not in the habit of bossing people around, but instead offer suggestions (sometimes more strongly worded than other times) unless the police are on the ground and in the midst of their actions

Quote from: MikeGER on July 15, 2013, 05:36:21 AMIt was his duty (if he would choose to take the risks involved) to even march up to the "hoody guy " and say: "hey pilgrim i am from Neighborhood Watch , cold night to walk in the rain, can i offer you a ride in my truck home..."
Be very, very careful with the word "duty".  It's not the "duty" of a neighborhood watch volunteer to walk up to anyone and say anything.  If it's a "duty" then it is something you can be prosecuted for failing to do, and that's unequivocally not the case with Zimmerman.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers