Japan Changing Constitution?

Started by LongBlade, July 19, 2013, 05:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Centurion40

Any time is a good time for pie.

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on July 25, 2013, 12:31:39 PM
It wasn't so long ago that Japan kicked China's ass all.over the place and literally destroyed the country. I know that China has probably the longest historical collective memory probably of any nation on Earth, so...are the Chinese just out for simple revenge?

The name China literally means "middle kingdom."

The Chinese believe in dynastic cycles. China has risen to power and fallen from it more than any other loosely defined nation/culture on the planet.

When they're at the top of their ascendency they expect their neighbors to pay tribute to keep the peace. When they're at the top of their ascendency they believe the world does indeed revolve around the "middle kingdom."

They ain't there yet. They may not be for another thousand years given all the corruption of their current regime.

However, they're "feeling their oats" as it were. The US appears woefully weak, decidedly broke. Our appetite for adventures across the Pacific is pretty low right now. If the fur were to fly with Japan we'd be there for them, but I suspect the Chinese figure a little roughhousing at Japan's expense won't hurt them. That's a safe calculus from my view given our leadership and economic environment.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

W8taminute

Quote from: Gusington on July 20, 2013, 12:00:14 PM
Knowing what I know about Japanese culture, history, and industry, all of which I admire probably as much as LB...I still don't trust them fully.

But they must be allowed to buildup militarily if the US is unwilling or unable to counter Chinese power in the pacific.  I think trusting the Japanese is the lesser of two evils because you certainly can not trust the Chinese. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

W8taminute

Quote from: LongBlade on July 25, 2013, 02:54:01 PM
Quote from: Gusington on July 25, 2013, 12:31:39 PM
It wasn't so long ago that Japan kicked China's ass all.over the place and literally destroyed the country. I know that China has probably the longest historical collective memory probably of any nation on Earth, so...are the Chinese just out for simple revenge?

The name China literally means "middle kingdom."

The Chinese believe in dynastic cycles. China has risen to power and fallen from it more than any other loosely defined nation/culture on the planet.

When they're at the top of their ascendency they expect their neighbors to pay tribute to keep the peace. When they're at the top of their ascendency they believe the world does indeed revolve around the "middle kingdom."

They ain't there yet. They may not be for another thousand years given all the corruption of their current regime.

However, they're "feeling their oats" as it were. The US appears woefully weak, decidedly broke. Our appetite for adventures across the Pacific is pretty low right now. If the fur were to fly with Japan we'd be there for them, but I suspect the Chinese figure a little roughhousing at Japan's expense won't hurt them. That's a safe calculus from my view given our leadership and economic environment.

Excellent observation.  +1
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

How about we don't trust anyone...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Quote from: Gusington on July 25, 2013, 06:15:46 PM
How about we don't trust anyone...

But I trust alla youse guys...  :)

(... since I don't have any daughters...)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Windigo

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

GDS_Starfury

especially them sneaky beady eyes Canadistanians.  8)

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

LongBlade

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on July 25, 2013, 08:11:11 PM
especially them sneaky beady eyes Canadistanians.  8)

Canadians can be OK.

This guy swam from Canada to Detroit to give us $25,000. That's pretty cool.

QuoteAfter swimming from Canada to Detroit on Monday, a Windsor man is being charged with public intoxication and could face up to $25,000 in additional fines for swimming in a shipping channel.

John Morillo, 47, hopped into the Detroit River after throwing back eight beers and paddled from Windsor, Ontario to Detroit, Mich. Authorities apprehended the channel-crossing Canuck when he returned to Windsor.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/07/24/drunk-canadian-man-swims-to-detroit/#ixzz2a710RZ9U

Gusington

You'd think people would be doing the opposite all the time.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Looks like China hasn't gotten the memo from Japan yet.

QuoteFour Chinese coastguard ships on Friday entered disputed waters near East China Sea islands at the centre of a bitter row with Tokyo, according to a report.

Jiji press said the ships entered waters around Uotsurijima, one of the five islands Japan claims as the Senkakus and China as the Diaoyus around 8.15 pm, staying there for two hours.

The incursion came as Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe urged Chinese President Xi Jinping to reset dangerously frayed ties between Asia's two largest economies as they met on the sidelines of the G20 summit in Russia.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/09/06/four-china-ships-in-disputed-zone-report/?intcmp=obinsite#ixzz2eGZfm686

GDS_Starfury

the one that said something about the Japanese Navy having carriers again?  ;D