From Russia With Love GB (Su-27SM)

Started by JudgeDredd, January 16, 2016, 02:05:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Staggerwing on April 27, 2016, 05:30:39 PM
Any chance you might have accidentally left some oils from your fingers there?
Absolutely there is.  :(

I should wear gloves...just never had the issue before so it's never really come up as something I needed to think about.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: mirth on April 27, 2016, 05:43:43 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on April 27, 2016, 05:41:34 PM
go with a splinter scheme.

+1
That would be nice. It's different enough to be more interesting than normal camo but not needing as much work as digital camo.

However, I have so little time and the problem with it is that you have to put patches down and leave to dry before you can put the next colour down - purely because of having to go over the recent painted bit (in places) with tape so you can get the next "blocks" of paint down.

I'd like to do it, but it really depends on time.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

After my paint scare yesterday, I have a sneaking suspicion I'm going to regret this.

I'm going to try and go for a splinter look...nothing too elaborate.

I so hope the tape doesn't pull off the paint. Any ideas on how best to remove the tape? Would putting the model in a cool place before peeling off help? Or a hot place?
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Well, that wasn't 100% successful.

So I have some bleed and also some overspray

I'm still relatively upbeat. I have some grey to add which, if placed tactically, can deal with the overspray and bleed....as long as I don't get more bleed.

I think the bleed occurred from me not wanting to press the tape on too hard in case I pulled the base paint off. The overspray was me thinking I could be more controlled about my spraying than I actually can be.

That part was actually the easy part because you just stick random bits of tape on. The next bit I will have to be very accurate with the tape where it meets the white (which will be quite a bit because of the bleed!!).
Alba gu' brath

mirth

The bleed gives it true Russian character  :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

GDS_Starfury

that should get another color so use that to cover the overspray and edge bleeds.  you should also stick the tape to your shirt a few time as that removes a lot of the tac and makes it easier to pull off.  that also lets you press it down more firmly thereby reducing any bleeding at the edges.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on April 29, 2016, 08:09:29 AM
that should get another color so use that to cover the overspray and edge bleeds.  you should also stick the tape to your shirt a few time as that removes a lot of the tac and makes it easier to pull off.  that also lets you press it down more firmly thereby reducing any bleeding at the edges.
Yes - I started that this morning.

It strikes me I've made the job harder for myself though with breaking up the white. I perhaps should've made block colours and then broke them up with the second colour.

Anyway - I'll be trying to put some grey down.

Thanks for the tip on the tape - never thought of that.  O0
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

I've given up getting this done by the deadline of tomorrow night. I simply will not be able to do it.

That's a huge weight off my shoulders and now I can take my time with the camo and make it (hopefully) super cool - without rushing. I was in danger of having to put tape on pieces of paint that hadn't had enough time to seal to the model...this way I can give it the time required.

I will of course continue to show it's progress here.

That's to all who showed any interest...I hope you enjoyed the journey.
Alba gu' brath

mirth

JD, it's cool to see the progression of your modelling skill.  O0

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

I also enjoy your modelling threads JD.   O0

That is... putting model kits together & their painting.   Not your underwear modelling.

Ubercat

This is a pretty late response, JD. Sorry, it's the first time I'm looking at the thread.

For the hand shaking problem, try painting close to your face and rest the back end of the brush on your cheek as you work. That always worked for me. It also helps you see the detail work you're doing better, unless you happen to be far sighted!
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Nefaro on April 29, 2016, 06:58:29 PM
I also enjoy your modelling threads JD.   O0

That is... putting model kits together & their painting.   Not your underwear modelling.
Thanks Nef. I didn't realise my underwear pictures were in the public domain!
Alba gu' brath