Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Thanks Destraex

I would love to master a chopper just so I can fly low level, get to some trees or a hill, popup and fire some hellfires before popping back down. All classic stuff we used to be able to do fairly easily in the old Microprose AH-64 game.

I have tried fine tuning the pedals before - but maybe I need to revisit that. Also I didn't know about splitting the collective and throttle on the HOTAS...I'll give that a go to.

I don't know what the difference is between SIM and GAME (or is it ARCADE?) mode for helos - maybe I'll revisit that for some ease of play.

Thank you.
Alba gu' brath

Redwolf

Quote from: Destraex on October 07, 2023, 06:11:42 PM4) Make sure your throttle (spin speed) and collective (blade bite angle) are separate controls. Some choppers you can use both together and they fly fine. But I find it's best to control both separately. I use my warthog dual throttles for throttle and collective. Sometimes I get lazy and lock the two throttles together if the chopper is handling well.
Both spin speed and bite force have a huge impact on torque spin force. So controlling these separately can be a big help.  Lowering spin speed with collective bite force in step 1  together may have a good effect as well.

Do you really need throttle on a separate axis? I thought it is usually adjusted automatically to maintain rpm?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Redwolf on October 08, 2023, 07:26:44 AM
Quote from: Destraex on October 07, 2023, 06:11:42 PM4) Make sure your throttle (spin speed) and collective (blade bite angle) are separate controls. Some choppers you can use both together and they fly fine. But I find it's best to control both separately. I use my warthog dual throttles for throttle and collective. Sometimes I get lazy and lock the two throttles together if the chopper is handling well.
Both spin speed and bite force have a huge impact on torque spin force. So controlling these separately can be a big help.  Lowering spin speed with collective bite force in step 1  together may have a good effect as well.

Do you really need throttle on a separate axis? I thought it is usually adjusted automatically to maintain rpm?

Throttle is put to 100% before flight and then there should be no need to touch it again. But, yes, it needs to be a separate access.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 08, 2023, 08:14:22 AM

Throttle is put to 100% before flight and then there should be no need to touch it again. But, yes, it needs to be a separate access.
That's super handy to know. I imagine having your throttle linked with your collective IS problematic given the torque you'd be feeding through the controls.

I mean, you need a lot of throttle (power?) to get off the ground - but the collective (lift) should be much more of a slower progression when teking off.

Presumably that's how they work separated?

I'll give it a go when I got a mo
Alba gu' brath

Toonces

I also enjoy the helicopters in DCS more than the jets, although I'm not very good at flying them either!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Destraex

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 08, 2023, 08:39:08 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 08, 2023, 08:14:22 AM

That's super handy to know. I imagine having your throttle linked with your collective IS problematic given the torque you'd be feeding through the controls.

I mean, you need a lot of throttle (power?) to get off the ground - but the collective (lift) should be much more of a slower progression when teking off.

Presumably that's how they work separated?

I'll give it a go when I got a mo
Absolutely having your throttle (spin speed) stray from 100% if it is supposed to stay there for the entire flight when you try to move the collective (blade bite angle or angle of attack) can cause issues. Especially if you are lowering your collective to counter spin... because then you get less bite and less spin at the same time equalling a large change all at once.

I do seem to remember having huge problems before separating the two BTW. Because by default they are combined in a t least one chopper if memory serves. In real life the stick on your left of your seat that you pull up like a hand brake also has a twist grip on it. Each of those controls is your separate collective and spin (throttle). So the real life pilots definitely control them separately in the real life basic choppers. I think the chopper I am describing is actually the UH-1 that has that stick and twist setup.
The Black shark I think you move throttle to AUTO (middle) and leave it there. Their are actual metal guards that let you know visually if you are at the AUTO mark. I think the left side of the seat their are two black leavers and that is your throttles for the two engines and you will see silver clips. From their I think you might be right about the chopper autopilot being able to control spin on the two rotors automatically. But the point is they are still left in place for the flight and I seem to recall by default they were mapped together with the collective (blade bite) stick.
Once again the collective is a separate handbrake like stick.

I'd be super curious to see what the issue you are having is a result of in the end.

credit to chucks guides who I quickly looked at after posting to check
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Redwolf

Well, my Ebay sniper program won me a Reverb G2 v2, so I am joining the VR crowd once again when it arrives.

I also have a NVidia 2080ti now, hope it has enough horsepower for this.

Which plane to try first, now that is the question...

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Redwolf on October 27, 2023, 10:17:29 AMWell, my Ebay sniper program won me a Reverb G2 v2, so I am joining the VR crowd once again when it arrives.

I also have a NVidia 2080ti now, hope it has enough horsepower for this.

Which plane to try first, now that is the question...

You'll be more than fine with that card.  I was having zero issues with my Index and 2080 Super.

And if you have it try the Viper.  Amazing visuals with that bubble canopy.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

Heatblur DCS: F-4E Premier.

Some interesting features...

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 29, 2023, 02:12:38 PMHeatblur DCS: F-4E Premier.

So uh, that's releasing November right?  RIGHT?  Oh please tell me I'm right.

I'm so freaking ready for this module.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 29, 2023, 03:53:31 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 29, 2023, 02:12:38 PMHeatblur DCS: F-4E Premier.

So uh, that's releasing November right?  RIGHT?  Oh please tell me I'm right.

I'm so freaking ready for this module.

This winter...so 2023 or 2024. My guess is 2024.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 29, 2023, 03:54:13 PMThis winter...so 2023 or 2024. My guess is 2024.

Yeah, that's my thought too.  Time to keep practicing with the VSN Phantom till then.

Redwolf

Quote from: Redwolf on October 27, 2023, 10:17:29 AMWell, my Ebay sniper program won me a Reverb G2 v2, so I am joining the VR crowd once again when it arrives.

Woah that HP Reverb G2 v2 is a piece of trash if I've ever seen one. Absolutely atrocious fit and finish. Controllers pair in bluetooth but not in HP's software. All web links are broken.

I have actually not been able to fly. DCS enters a screen where I am supposed to point at "a gem" but if I do that it never continues.

Redwolf

Hopefully they ship a Greek livery. Those look delicious.

Jarhead0331

2024 and Beyond video premiers at 9:30 EST.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog