Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Marianas map is a surprise. Wasn't too excited over the news initially, but hey...its free!

Very excited about the Hind and F-15E. I really hope those come out this year. Also looking forward to the Kiowa and the upgrade to the KA-50 and A-10C. Was surprised there was no mention of the Super Carrier module in the newsletter. I am REALLY excited about that one. Hopefully, it is really close to release.

Regardless, lots of good stuff to look forward to this year.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Skoop

I had a feeling about a pacific setting when I saw youtube footage of DCS Corsair, but the Marianas map is modern so go figure.  Maybe it will have a feature that changes the buildings to WWII or it can be done by modders.

Lots of good stuff to fly coming up though. 

You could make an Afghanistan setting for the Hind by just finding some back corner mountain spot on the Persian gulf map and place the units to support a Soviet Afgan war theme.

Toonces

Any word on a dynamic campaign?  I thought I read that was in the works a few months ago on SimHQ.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

JasonPratt

I'm trying to figure out why Marianas would be a modern theme, and I'm coming up blank. ....um, like Red Dog exercises or whatever they're called? Supercarrier vs Supercarrier?  ???

DCS was notorious for starting with a lot of Nevada test flight / test fight entries after all.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Staggerwing

Considering DCS is a Russian product and the Pacific region is of interest to Bejing's deep-time game plan, maybe the Marianas ad-on is actually another component of an Ender's Game-style recruitment tool for the coming SinoCoporateCommunist/NeoTsarist alliance's world domination initiative. All good clean fun.  ;)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Jarhead0331

THere is also a chinese asset pack in the works...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Skoop

^ That makes sense, a modern pacific setting with US vs China Conflict.  New assets pack and the JF17.

Redwolf

Quote from: Skoop on January 03, 2020, 03:22:27 PM

DCS 2020 road map news.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/newsletters/newsletter03012020-851b43a35367471cdaea724efa55d2a4.html

When they say "cooperative multiplayer", does that mean 2 people in the same helo, aka one pilot and one weapons officer, both being separate players?

Skoop

It certainly seems to read like that.  Cooperative MP must be what DCS is calling multi crewed cockpits.

mikeck

Quote from: Redwolf on January 04, 2020, 06:01:12 PM
Quote from: Skoop on January 03, 2020, 03:22:27 PM

DCS 2020 road map news.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/newsletters/newsletter03012020-851b43a35367471cdaea724efa55d2a4.html

When they say "cooperative multiplayer", does that mean 2 people in the same helo, aka one pilot and one weapons officer, both being separate players?

Not sure. apparently the F-15e will not have the "Jester" style AI system for single player. I guess technically, the pilot on of an F-15e can do everything from the front seat if he needs to. So, they don't HAVE to set up coop to work the plane. Maybe it will allow a backseat guy in MP if you want...but you can fly it alone if you are SP or MP
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Skoop

^ I saw dcs youtubers talking about that very issue with the F15e.  I'll have to wait and see with that module.  When I fly the F14, I prefer riding the back seat because I can interrogate and lock targets so much faster than jester, to be frank, I'd rather have a better Maverick AI so I can stay in the back seat the whole time.  It's cumbersome to flip from seat to seat in the F14, it might be a godsend to do it the way razbam is.  There's a mod that adds the RIO capabilities to the pilot, but it's not MP compatible as you'll fail integrity check.  You also can't seat swap in MP so F14 drivers are stuck with jester or need a human to get the best out of the RIO position.

hellfish6

So I've got a dumb question. I recently started flying DCS again, as I want to master the Su-25T. I seem to spend 90% of my time in the cockpit constantly adjusting my trim. As soon as I get it level and straight, it starts veering again after about 10 seconds. It's not fun. Am I doing something wrong? Or, rather, what am I doing wrong?

Destraex

Do you have any other controllers like an xbox controller or rudder pedals etc that might be interferring or cross assigned? A mate of mine found his xbox controller was causing this yesterday.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Yskonyn

Quote from: hellfish6 on January 05, 2020, 03:32:09 PM
So I've got a dumb question. I recently started flying DCS again, as I want to master the Su-25T. I seem to spend 90% of my time in the cockpit constantly adjusting my trim. As soon as I get it level and straight, it starts veering again after about 10 seconds. It's not fun. Am I doing something wrong? Or, rather, what am I doing wrong?

Trim is about setting a new 0-point of balance, so to speak.
In simple terms, due to aerodynamic reasons, an aircraft is trimmed for speed. Let's say you fly straight and level at a constant 250 kts indicated airspeed and managed to trim the aircraft out nicely.
Now when you descend your speed will likely increase if you don't pull back on the throttle. However, the trim is set for 250 kts and will result in the aircraft pitching up to increase drag and return speed back to 250 kts.
Conversely, if you climb without adding power, you speed will decrease, resulting the aircraft to pitch down to gain speed back again to 250 kts.

So every pitch and power adjustment requires a trim change, but it's a bad habit to 'steer with trim' . You should trim the aircraft for 'hands off' situations like straight and level flight or perhaps a long cruise climb or descend, but never while maneuvering.

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

hellfish6

Quote from: Yskonyn on January 06, 2020, 05:25:19 AM
Quote from: hellfish6 on January 05, 2020, 03:32:09 PM

Trim is about setting a new 0-point of balance, so to speak.
In simple terms, due to aerodynamic reasons, an aircraft is trimmed for speed. Let's say you fly straight and level at a constant 250 kts indicated airspeed and managed to trim the aircraft out nicely.
Now when you descend your speed will likely increase if you don't pull back on the throttle. However, the trim is set for 250 kts and will result in the aircraft pitching up to increase drag and return speed back to 250 kts.
Conversely, if you climb without adding power, you speed will decrease, resulting the aircraft to pitch down to gain speed back again to 250 kts.

So every pitch and power adjustment requires a trim change, but it's a bad habit to 'steer with trim' . You should trim the aircraft for 'hands off' situations like straight and level flight or perhaps a long cruise climb or descend, but never while agressively maneuvering.

So you're telling me that it's not something I can just turn off?  ;)