Old World from Soren Johnson

Started by RedArgo, April 14, 2020, 01:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

I'm a dork, not a nerd. BTW I subscribed to the Mohawk Games newsletter and for that I got a free Steam code to Offworld Trading Company. I just spent the last 30 minutes poking around in Old World and the amount of detail is eye watering.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

^That's very good to hear!  Getting ready to pull the trigger myself in a bit.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

^All the cool kids (and I) are doing it.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

Us Epic hipsters did it a year ago.  I had monkey assassins way before Monkeypox made it cool.

Gusington

You and your skinny jeans and your artisanal cheese and your Foals.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

Trouble with being an early adopter "cool kid" of course is that now Old World has gone to Steam it has gone " too commercial man, and sold out" :peace: so Robot will be unable to bring himself to play it anymore. Its Dylan going electric all over again ;)

I am now well into tutorial 3 and the tutorials are a case study in how such things should be constructed. They show you the important concepts but after tutorial 1 which is short and basic, you are given objuctives to complete but given freedom to develop your nationaround those so you can make your own mistakes. In other words you feel you are already playing the game and not just being railroaded.

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Sir Slash

"Old World" Is the nursing home my wife threatens to send me to when I forget things around here. Now I can tell her, 'sure Dear' and sit down and play it.  ^-^
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

W8taminute

Quote from: devoncop on May 19, 2022, 09:36:43 PM
Trouble with being an early adopter "cool kid" of course is that now Old World has gone to Steam it has gone " too commercial man, and sold out" :peace: so Robot will be unable to bring himself to play it anymore. Its Dylan going electric all over again ;)

I am now well into tutorial 3 and the tutorials are a case study in how such things should be constructed. They show you the important concepts but after tutorial 1 which is short and basic, you are given objuctives to complete but given freedom to develop your nationaround those so you can make your own mistakes. In other words you feel you are already playing the game and not just being railroaded.

Agreed.  I finished the first tutorial last night and got the same feeling.  This game looks promising. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Gusington

Haha 'Dylan going electric'  ;D

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

Quote from: Gusington on May 19, 2022, 07:55:51 PM
^All the cool kids (and I) are doing it.

I'm a cool kid too!   ;D

devoncop

Quote from: Gusington on May 20, 2022, 08:18:53 AM
Haha 'Dylan going electric'  ;D

Some folk are still bitter about that 😂

Let me know what you think about Old World after you do the tutorials...I will be really interested to know .
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Gusington

Hoping to do at least a few of the tutorials this weekend. The 'old me' would try to wait until I got a little further in PoEII but the new me is saying 'f that.'

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

Quote from: Gusington on May 20, 2022, 11:34:22 AM
Hoping to do at least a few of the tutorials this weekend. The 'old me' would try to wait until I got a little further in PoEII but the new me is saying 'f that.'

The new Gus is making me laugh.  Yes, 'f that' brother and just dive into Old World.   :2funny:

Sir Slash

But...but...PoE2 has, 'Sea Shanties'. Try competing with that.  :P
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

^PoEII is really really good...I barely remember anything of the first one but this one is so much more gooder. I love the whole life at sea thang and the mix of Spanish, Venetian, native cultures, etc. Combat took some getting used to but I finally got it in the last couple of days...just in time for Old World to be released.

So I will be doing a very rare thing for OCD me and dropping everything to start the tutorials in Old World and my first campaign in Total War: Troy.

Still running on the high I got from finally starting a Three Kingdoms Total War campaign. Played for a about 25 hours until I got totally flummoxed on what I was supposed to be doing or how to do it. But I'll return to that game one day too.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd