Main Menu

New Rig, part deux

Started by Jarhead0331, November 26, 2021, 03:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on December 07, 2021, 07:38:27 AM
The CyberPower PC I bought 10+ years ago is still running without issue.

Two good CyberPowers running here too (one at 2 years and one at almost 1 year).

Gusington

10 years is double the lifetime I expect for my machines so I have no complaints, but of course the machine was built 10 years before COVID or supply chain woes, as JH posted.

That said the HP Omen machine and Alienware supermonitor I upgraded to last December, at the height of COVID but before supply chain woes, have given me nothing but joy and squeals of delight. The only issue is one single, solitary dead pixel on the monitor screen that is off in the wilderness of the viewable area and barely noticeable 99% of the time.

Perhaps I'm lucky.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

New rig arrived today from CyberPowerPC. I was impressed overall with the packaging and materials included inside the box. The tower looked good and everything inside appeared secure. On setup I had some artifacting on the screen that scared the shit out of me. This was reminiscent of the issues I had with my AMD CLX rig, wherein two consecutive GPUs shit the bed and had to be replaced.  Thankfully, on reboot it went away and has been purring since. My fingers are crossed.

I've checked system details and everything I ordered appears to be on board. I've only installed mozilla, steam and some other game client software, so have not actually run anything yet.  So far, without jinxing it, I am pleased.

I'm nervous, but cautiously optimistic as I wade into deeper waters.  Wish me luck.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

Curious to hear how quiet it is once you run some games.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on December 13, 2021, 04:45:27 PM
Curious to hear how quiet it is once you run some games.

Ran Ghost Recon: Breakpoint. Purrs like a kitten. Literally did not make a sound. My old 2080Ti rig sounded like a lawnmower.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

W8taminute

Sweet.  Congrats man and game on!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

Nice. My older machines were also very loud. My new machine (well one year old now) is touted as super quiet but it still hums every so often on more intensive games...which slightly disappoints me.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Installed Cyberpunk 2077 and now working on Arma 3, which is a beast at over 100 gb. Probably won't be able to play anything tonight.  Tomorrow, DCS, IL-2 BoX, MSFS, Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen. Will also set up VR and then use these to benchmark before moving on to anything else. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

We're a little past the one week mark and so far I have been nothing but impressed. The rig runs flawlessly and chews up anything I throw at it. The frame rates I'm getting in DCS are the best I have ever managed and that is without a major struggle to tweak settings. I've installed a wide range of games and it seems to run everything very well and it is silent across the board. GPU temps never exceed 65-68 degrees Celsius under the heaviest of loads. So my concerns over cooling have thus far not been proven to be grounds for worry.

I actually feel bad that my CLX rig, which is a beast in its own right, is now totally under utilized. Because of my setup, its just easier to fire this new rig up, rather than climb into my simpit where the CLX rig is set up. Also, with better performance and less hassle, I find myself preferring to run DCS on the new rig, even though I'm not using my Pimax VR headset or any of my fancy sim peripherals.

In any event, no CyberPowerPC complaints from me yet. I remain cautiously optimistic. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog