Main Menu

C# Aurora

Started by monkex, March 05, 2020, 02:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sparhawk

I had the opportunity to play Aurora exclusively for a 3 month period between jobs 10 years ago. It demanded my full attention. Reading Steve's AAR for his Imperium scenario really, really makes me yearn for the time to devote to this game again. Who new one could be so passionate about surveying systems, designing ships, and so much more.

Gusington

I am totally lost and have no idea what Aurora is.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

Very deep, very immersive practically text only 4x game

Want to fire a missile? Design the engine, the mount, the warhead, the fuel

Gusington

Sounds like...work.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

In The Grim Darkness of the Far Future There is Only Lotus 1-2-3...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

undercovergeek

Rayfer

Quote from: undercovergeek on March 07, 2020, 01:24:59 AM
Quote from: Gusington on March 06, 2020, 10:00:40 PM
Sounds like...work.

But weirdly rewarding

I tried the original. The learning curve is steep, requiring a commitment of time and effort I wasn't ready to give. Sort of like the commitment of time and effort necessary to learn a complicated flight sim, but without the graphic and visual rewards of a flight sim.

GDS_Starfury

I found it to be a lot of fun and a great way to pass hours and hours of time.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

hellfish6

Quote from: Rayfer on March 07, 2020, 08:11:27 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on March 07, 2020, 01:24:59 AM
Quote from: Gusington on March 06, 2020, 10:00:40 PM
Sounds like...work.

But weirdly rewarding

I tried the original. The learning curve is steep, requiring a commitment of time and effort I wasn't ready to give. Sort of like the commitment of time and effort necessary to learn a complicated flight sim, but without the graphic and visual rewards of a flight sim.

Yeah, like a flight sim I had to RTFM/tutorials to figure out the most basic stuff... but unlike flight sims there's really nothing to compare Aurora to. I'm very keen on detailed 4X games, and this is about all I really have to go with atm.

monkex

Hi Everyone, Monkex here, I'm a 60yo, been a gamer since year dot. I've played miniatures especially WW2 20mm and ACW 15mm. I got hooked onto boardgames years ago with the arrival of SPI's Strategy and Tactics, beginning with Napoleon at Waterloo and going as far as Europa's Fire in the East which was titanic to say the least. On PC I think it all really kicked of with X-Com and now I'm playing Ultimate Admiral Age of Sail.
I really like Aurora and I'm looking forward to the new iteration, I'll be weaving a bit of a story into my next playthrough.
I live in England with a swmbo, 2 out of 4 boys, a cat and a Doggo     

W8taminute

Welcome aboard monkex!!   :)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

solops

+1.  Great, we need more young blood like you!
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

CJReich46

I remember a couple of Let's Players I used to follow on Aurora and that helped with learning the basics.

So one weekend I played and had a blast. Had a ship sent it out and then discovered it needed to refuel.

SO YEARS LATER, I built a ship that could do that, and it finally got to the ship that needed the refuel and I was able to bring it home.

I don't think I did anything military as far as warships , just the basic gravitational surveys and geological surveys, and maybe a jump point to a new system. But that was it.

But if C# is shaping up, I might be willing to give it a go.

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Jarhead0331

Wish Steve would stop being such a stickler for perfection and just release it a few days earlier than he would really prefer under normal circumstances.with guys being couped up inside and all the fear and anxiety about this new world we find ourselves in, it sure would be a boost to morale. The little things can make a big difference sometimes.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Geezer

I bounced off this so many moons ago I hardly remember it, or why.  Will have to take another look when it's released.  Thanks for the thread.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw