Main Menu

C# Aurora

Started by monkex, March 05, 2020, 02:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 18, 2020, 05:08:27 AM
Wish Steve would stop being such a stickler for perfection and just release it a few days earlier than he would really prefer under normal circumstances.with guys being couped up inside and all the fear and anxiety about this new world we find ourselves in, it sure would be a boost to morale. The little things can make a big difference sometimes.

I see this same question being asked for a bunch of games due to release soon....Panzer Corp, OOTP, etc.  Can't argue that it might give folks a little joy back in their lives, but I am guessing most of these have set release plans and/or other situations that may make it hard for them to do....especially if the developers and publishers are scrambling themselves to take care of their families and make accommodations due to the unexpected closure of everything.  With that said, if it was possible, I would certainly love to enjoy some new games sooner to take my mind off this crap:)

But if any game was going to release early, my vote would be for Mount & Blade Bannerlord:)

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on March 18, 2020, 06:53:46 AM
Wish Steve would stop being such a stickler for perfection and just release it a few days earlier than he would really prefer under normal circumstances.with guys being couped up inside and all the fear and anxiety about this new world we find ourselves in, it sure would be a boost to morale. The little things can make a big difference sometimes.

I see this same question being asked for a bunch of games due to release soon....Panzer Corp, OOTP, etc.  Can't argue that it might give folks a little joy back in their lives, but I am guessing most of these have set release plans and/or other situations that may make it hard for them to do....especially if the developers and publishers are scrambling themselves to take care of their families and make accommodations due to the unexpected closure of everything.  With that said, if it was possible, I would certainly love to enjoy some new games sooner to take my mind off this crap:)

But if any game was going to release early, my vote would be for Mount & Blade Bannerlord:)

Aurora is a totally different situation. No publisher. No corporate developer. Its just one talented guy working on a project for himself that he is kind enough to share with like-minded individuals. There are no contracts, no distribution issues, there is no money involved. Again, I'm not saying I expect him to do this...just saying it would be a really nice surprise in a time like this.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 18, 2020, 07:17:07 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on March 18, 2020, 06:53:46 AM

Aurora is a totally different situation. No publisher. No corporate developer. Its just one talented guy working on a project for himself that he is kind enough to share with like-minded individuals. There are no contracts, no distribution issues, there is no money involved. Again, I'm not saying I expect him to do this...just saying it would be a really nice surprise in a time like this.

Yep, I understood that...I was more referring to how the general ask of releasing early seems to be happening on many other things due to release soon....

solops

Early releases... Great Idea!!!!! The additional bugs would give us all something to do  - whining about devs who release buggy products too soon!
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Geezer

Here is a link to 18, as of now, videos on the changes coming with C# Aurora.  So far I have just started watching the first video so I have no opinion on them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtQRd_1Vzcc&list=PLuoNRGAhOKpXTWBkbi9Hv7oXYj9ZzXdGF

Edit - And here is a mere 116 :o video tutorial series on Aurora 4X in case anyone wants to know about the original game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5skHvsYBtNc&list=PLuoNRGAhOKpWN1wJqfGoQTmXnlRXl-VgP
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Geezer

Sounds like Steve is shooting for a week from Monday for release.  This was posted earlier today:

Quote...My plan is to keep testing and tweaking up to Friday next week, then spend the weekend creating and testing the install and doing the obfuscation.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Geezer

Looks like there will be a few days delay while he makes some more last minute improvements.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

solops

"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Yskonyn

It's still spreadsheets in space, but my goodness, what depth and detail in this game!
Truely awesome job by Steve!
Unfortunately the resolution requirement makes it unsuitable for my laptop.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Geezer

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Geezer on October 11, 2020, 05:59:17 PM
1.12 is out.

Yeah...i took a break from the game waiting for this one to come out, but it took forever for Steve to push it out the door and I mostly forgot how to play. lol

I'm going to pick it up again but want to wait a few days for the eventual incremental patches that are sure to follow in rapid succession.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Geezer

I'm in the same boat.  Will have to go through Space Marine's tutorials to remember how to play.

Yskonyn

The fact that many patches arent savegame compatible have caused me to wander off as well. I'll wait until that cadence stops for longer periods.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

I came back to this over the weekend and put more hours than I'd like to admit running through a new conventional start. I still say this is the ultimate 4x game, and if only it had just a little more graphical and some appropriate audible "flair", it would be unrivaled. It's so good and detailed that it wouldn't even need that much in the way of production value to push it over the top. It is simply the ultimate sci-fi strategy game sandbox where you can almost do anything that you can imagine and nothing else comes even remotely close. I guess Distant Worlds may be a very...very "distant" second (see what I did there?). 

Of course, the draw back is that with so much detail and breadth, it can be exhausting. There is limited automation and when you have discovered multiple systems that you've begun to colonize, managing the colonies and fleets and responding to new crisis, such as overcrowding, political instability, raw material shortages, vessel distress, and don't forget, alien incursion, can quickly become overwhelming.   

I still have not found myself involved in an interstellar war, but the herculean effort that must be involved to build, supply, and operate a vast space-faring fleet and army is truly daunting when considering how complex it is to simply manage science, exploration and logistical fleets across systems. I'm very comfortable with early development, research, economy, mining and exploration. This really leaves conflict as the final frontier for me. It is only a matter of time before I'll have to roll up my sleeves and get nasty.  Like high yield nuclear implosion warhead nasty. 

Anyway, game is at 1.12 now and I'm hoping for 1.13 at some point over the next few weeks. I'll start a new game when it is released.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog