Jack the Ripper letters analysed

Started by besilarius, February 07, 2018, 07:51:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

JasonPratt

I like your title better than theirs: analyzed? Sure, yep. "Solved"!?! mmmmmm.... no, nothing about them was solved. Linguistic analysis adds some non-deductive weight toward two of the letters which most scholars on the topic already think were genuine, being genuine. I'm pretty sure I've even seen remarks about the subtle linguistic similarity of those two letters before. The main new result (I think?) is a linguistic connection suggested between two of the core letters and a popular secondary letter often regarded as a hoax. What does this mean? Almost nothing: it might mean the two core letters were also hoaxed by the same person; or that the "Moab and Midian" letter wasn't a hoax after all; or that whoever in the Central News Agency hoaxed the third letter did a good job accurately noticing subtle linguistic similarities of those two core letters. Or everything could combine, like Voltron!  :D -- someone in the Central News Agency was Jack the Ripper.

Still, interesting topic.  O:-)

Up through around 2002, Philip Sugden had collected all known contemporary evidence about the Ripper case, including major reference to the primary documents (but not all 400 letters sent to the newspapers), in this very well-compiled book: https://smile.amazon.com/Complete-History-Jack-Ripper/dp/1841193976

Readers should aim for the 2002 paperback edition, not the 1994 hardback, as the paperback includes some updates in the 8 years since original publication. The book is long out of print, but reasonable used and even 'new' copies can usually be found. (It was offered on Kindle for a while, too -- I know, I own a copy that way -- but this is no longer available for reasons I don't know.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bbmike

Bah, Sherlock Holmes solved this case many years ago.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

EHHHNNT Incorrect!

Everybody knows Malcolm McDowell handled that business! ;)

DoctorQuest

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

bbmike

^Do NOT watch the recent TV series "based" on that movie.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

Quote from: bbmike on February 07, 2018, 10:52:41 AM
^Do NOT watch the recent TV series "based" on that movie.

I didn't even know that was a thing. I'd be inclined to avoid it.

Man I loved that movie back in the day. Funny I'd just now remember it. I'll have to find it online or get a DVD.

bbmike

The movie was based on a book and there was a sequel (book) to it:

Jaclyn the Ripper

And no, I have not read the book. The premise alone scares me.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak