What to do with 'old' game DVDs ...

Started by Thomm, April 22, 2021, 05:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomm

Hello,

can you point me to any sensible use of old game DVDs, other than throwing them away?

By that, I mean, e.g.:

Original Close Combat series
Brothers in Arms series
Eurofighter Typhoon
CMx1: Barbarossa to Berlin
CMx1: Afrika Korps
Battlefield Vietnam
Syndicate Wars(!!)
Eric Young's Squad Assault  :bd:

Would these games still run on Windows 10?

Is there a market for such games?

Would a library take them?

Best regards,
Thomm

Boggit

The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Jarhead0331

Keep them in boxes and store them in the back of a closet and then deal with your wife's dirty looks every time they follow you when you move and she can't use the unreasonable amount of space that the boxes take up for something useful.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Boggit

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 22, 2021, 08:16:35 PM
Keep them in boxes and store them in the back of a closet and then deal with your wife's dirty looks every time they follow you when you move and she can't use the unreasonable amount of space that the boxes take up for something useful.
You have that too then...? :2funny:
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Staggerwing

Sell them on eBay where old games and 'vintage' computers and accessories are going for stupid money nowadays.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

nobodyjune61944

I had the same problem and this is what I did.

1] checked ebay to see if they had any value.
2] checked to be sure they would not currently run on my machines.
3] checked to see if they were available on gog.com & steam and saw what the price was.

A couple I saved  because they have real value on the secondary market - if you kept your box, documents and whatnot for collectors.

Everything that was on gog I either bought if it was less than $5 and I still wanted to play it, or wishlisted it for a future sale.

This eliminated the vast majority of my unplayable games, got what I wanted into playable form, and discarding almost all if the value on the market was low.

Dammit Carl!

Same for me, but I keep them in a footlocker along with way too many old Dragon and Dungeon magazines.

-they may come in handy some day.

Anguille

Same here. Fortunately, i don't think we'll be moving again any time soon  :-"

Thomm

Quote from: nobodyjune61944 on April 22, 2021, 09:22:30 PM
I had the same problem and this is what I did.

1] checked ebay to see if they had any value.
2] checked to be sure they would not currently run on my machines.
3] checked to see if they were available on gog.com & steam and saw what the price was.

A couple I saved  because they have real value on the secondary market - if you kept your box, documents and whatnot for collectors.

Everything that was on gog I either bought if it was less than $5 and I still wanted to play it, or wishlisted it for a future sale.

This eliminated the vast majority of my unplayable games, got what I wanted into playable form, and discarding almost all if the value on the market was low.

Thank you for your advice. Your list looks comprehensive!

I do not think I will ever play any of these games again.

Perhaps I shall try to sell them. Perhaps just throw them away and move on.

Recently, I came across a guy who had over 1800 offers (DVDs, CDs) on a local sales platform. I wonder how many he can actually sell.

Best regards,
Thomm

Staggerwing

Definitely offer them up for sale before tossing them. Even if you give them away for postage only you might make someone happy who has been looking to replace their long lost or badly damaged copy. You might even want to see if you can swap the games for something else.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Redwolf

So far I am keeping my old optical disks.

But it is a bit silly since most of those games are available in some form of cheap reissue that doesn't require an optical disk with copy protection. Cheap enough to just buy the game again if needed.

steve58

I've been on a website for 20+ years where old/unloved/unwanted games are traded or sold.  Its a site based on trust; newer users are expected to sell/trade only with older established traders and new users usually will have to send first.  Newer users can (but shouldn't) trade with other new users, but are more likely to get burned...and some have been burned.  Bad traders are flagged and either make restitution or get site banned.

Its a free website, so any costs (i.e. who pays shipping) are decided between the two traders.  You can get a subscription for the site ($5/2 months, $12/6 months, $20/year) that'll provide a few extra features, but its not required to make trades.

Website is https://gametz.com/

If anyone has any ?s about the site, post'em here.

And you might even trade/sell'em on the Grogheads Trading Post.   O0
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

ArizonaTank

Quote from: steve58 on April 24, 2021, 08:13:37 AM
I've been on a website for 20+ years where old/unloved/unwanted games are traded or sold.  Its a site based on trust; newer users are expected to sell/trade only with older established traders and new users usually will have to send first.  Newer users can (but shouldn't) trade with other new users, but are more likely to get burned...and some have been burned.  Bad traders are flagged and either make restitution or get site banned.

Its a free website, so any costs (i.e. who pays shipping) are decided between the two traders.  You can get a subscription for the site ($5/2 months, $12/6 months, $20/year) that'll provide a few extra features, but its not required to make trades.

Website is https://gametz.com/

If anyone has any ?s about the site, post'em here.

And you might even trade/sell'em on the Grogheads Trading Post.   O0

Good stuff
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.