Sprocket Tank Design

Started by steve58, August 28, 2021, 04:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Jarhead0331

Wow. Good find! With as much time as I spend looking through new releases on steam, I'm at a loss as to how I missed this.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

solops

"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Dammit Carl!

Lordy.  The hours I'd drop into such a thing.

Destraex

It does look super cool. I hope infantry and MGs are added.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

steve58

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 28, 2021, 04:45:28 PM
Wow. Good find! With as much time as I spend looking through new releases on steam, I'm at a loss as to how I missed this.

I only occasionally peruse the Steam Discovery queue and normally don't see much that I'm not already aware of/interested in.  This was actually the first time it showed me something that made me go whoa/stop.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

Great find! I put it on my wish list.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

ArizonaTank

Looks and sounds good...I couldn't resist...

Don't have time to play with it today... But did fire it up for a hot second. It seems like a solo dev using Unity.

Unity, maybe more than other game engines, has democratized game development in a great way. Add in Steam for a way to self publish, and the game market really opens up for small devs with a dream.

Hope this game is good.  The description hit all of the right buttons...I hope gameplay is firing on all cylinders as well.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Father Ted

Quote from: ArizonaTank on August 30, 2021, 12:22:34 AM
...I hope gameplay is firing on all cylinders as well.

Maybe you'll be able to make yourself?

Actually I was wondering: in the review video the guy seemed to be focussed on recreating historical tanks, but for me the draw would seeing if you could make an improvement on those given the technology available at the time.

al_infierno

Quote from: Father Ted on August 30, 2021, 04:56:20 PM

Actually I was wondering: in the review video the guy seemed to be focussed on recreating historical tanks, but for me the draw would seeing if you could make an improvement on those given the technology available at the time.

+1

I'm quite weary of Unity engine games, some are quite clever but the majority are fiddly garbage.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

ArizonaTank

Played around with this a little bit.

There are some great ideas in Sprocket, but the game is still not ready and needs some more tweaking. Also some sort of campaign to tie everything together.

I'd say for tank nerds, Sprocket offers an interesting diversion in its current state. It does a decent job in depicting some of the real choices that tank designers had in the early 20th century.

I could list a dozen things that would make the game much better...and hopefully these are on the roadmap.

In its current state it reminds me of "Hellish Quart", a great sword fighting game that needs to give the player a reason to fight those excellently done sword fights (BTW, I understand that Hellish Quart is working on a story mode...so it is going in the right direction). I hope Sprocket moves in that direction as well.

But for those who don't spend their days watching the YouTube's Chieftain go into an eloquent narration on the joys of M4 Sherman track tensioning, its probably better to hold off while Sprocket cooks a little more.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Jarhead0331

Quote from: ArizonaTank on August 31, 2021, 04:05:11 PM
Played around with this a little bit.

There are some great ideas in Sprocket, but the game is still not ready and needs some more tweaking. Also some sort of campaign to tie everything together.

I'd say for tank nerds, Sprocket offers an interesting diversion in its current state. It does a decent job in depicting some of the real choices that tank designers had in the early 20th century.

I could list a dozen things that would make the game much better...and hopefully these are on the roadmap.

In its current state it reminds me of "Hellish Quart", a great sword fighting game that needs to give the player a reason to fight those excellently done sword fights (BTW, I understand that Hellish Quart is working on a story mode...so it is going in the right direction). I hope Sprocket moves in that direction as well.

But for those who don't spend their days watching the YouTube's Chieftain go into an eloquent narration on the joys of M4 Sherman track tensioning, its probably better to hold off while Sprocket cooks a little more.

You should post your thoughts in the steam forum and hope that the developer sees them.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

solops

Surely all the good designers keep an eye on Groheads. I mean, we rock!
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin