Wings Over France Expansion Has Been Released

Started by Grim.Reaper, February 02, 2023, 09:28:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

The expansion for Wings Over the Reich is now available, need to own the base game to use it.   Base game is $20, while new DLC is $35.  Not sure about this yet, not because it might not be good, just didn't play WOTR a lot.  We'll see.

https://www.overflandersfields.com/store.html

Rayfer

I wonder why they have never put their games on Steam?  EDIT: I had the old original WW1 Over Flanders Field.  Did they do away with the need to load some ancient CD from an old flight sim game in order to play Wings Over the Reich? The $20.00 price-tag is appealing.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Rayfer on February 02, 2023, 10:02:55 AMI wonder why they have never put their games on Steam?  EDIT: I had the old original WW1 Over Flanders Field.  Did they do away with the need to load some ancient CD from an old flight sim game in order to play Wings Over the Reich? The $20.00 price-tag is appealing.

Don't know that I have seen them post official reasons, but I could throw out a few possibilities.

- They don't want to share the revenue with Steam, which I suspect is on the smaller side.  Yep, I know the argument will be they could get more customers, which they might, but would it ever be enough to make up for the time and effort, not sure.

- The way the game is developed can't support being on Steam.  Which means then they need to make a choice between spending time preparing the game for Steam or working on new content.  Same kind of scenario for Battlefront, has taken them a lot of time and effort to port their games and they still have many more to go, while limiting their ability to do anything else.

- I also wonder if any potential licensing concerns since they started with the Combat Flight engine.  I know you know longer need that, but wonder if it would be a concern in a wider distribution platform.  Not sure.

- They just don't like Steam, like many people out there that still refuses to use it:)

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Rayfer on February 02, 2023, 10:02:55 AMI wonder why they have never put their games on Steam?  EDIT: I had the old original WW1 Over Flanders Field.  Did they do away with the need to load some ancient CD from an old flight sim game in order to play Wings Over the Reich? The $20.00 price-tag is appealing.

Yes, you don't need the CD with their latest versions.

Father Ted

Quote from: Rayfer on February 02, 2023, 10:02:55 AMI had the old original WW1 Over Flanders Field.  Did they do away with the need to load some ancient CD from an old flight sim game in order to play Wings Over the Reich? The $20.00 price-tag is appealing.

Bizarrely it says that you should own CFS3, but that you don't need to use the disc or any registration number to run WOTR.

Skoop

No, you don't need the cfs3 disk anymore.  Only reason is if you had some really old version of WOFF that required it.