Campaign Series Vietnam

Started by Grim.Reaper, May 15, 2021, 05:07:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Petho

The forty-second session of A Week in Binh Long. The second half of the day of Day 5. Alas, I lost two gunships this session. One in combat and another by a chance shot. On the bright side, if there is one, they were Snakes, my precious Hogs are still safe. The combat southwest of Chon Thanh was quite flawless, that attack was fantastic and a good example of how firepower saves the day and can eradicate with extreme prejudice against the Viet Cong!  To the northwest of An Loc, on the other hand, I keep accidently running into larger and larger Viet Cong forces - without the troops to deal with them!

Campaign Series Middle East 1948-1985 : v3.00 coming 2024

Campaign Series Vietnam 1948-1967 : v1.30 released April 26, 2023

Campaign Series Cold War 1948-1985 : v1.00 coming 202?

Crossroads

Campaign Series: Vietnam 1948-1967 listed as one of The 5 Best Strategy Games of 2022 by Strategy and Wargaming.

Neat, thank you S&W !!

https://strategyandwargaming.com/2023/01/02/the-5-best-strategy-games-of-2022/
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Jason Petho

The forty-third session of A Week in Binh Long. We are creeping closer to the end of Day 5. I have realized that I am going to run out of time for some of the units making it to where they need to be for their night laagering. Of course, that means I will lose points for that, but, I'm well into a Minor Victory at the moment. The Viet Cong should be more active tonight, so I am taking the time to go around and ensure all of the firebases have extra defences, expanding out and establishing listening posts to see if I'm going to be attacked. Safety first!

al_infierno

Looking great!   :ThumbsUp:

And we finally have the perfect emoji for this game:

:jarhead0331:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jason Petho

Hahah, that's awesome! Good one!

Jason Petho

The forty-fourth session of A Week in Binh Long. Well, we almost burned through all the day turns of Day 5. Generally, things are pretty clean, but I can see a few units will likely make it in time for their nightly bivouac. I realized that even one of my battalion HQ's were in the wrong place. The ARVN 4th/9th has started the evening hours under RPG attack, I will have to send a patrol out to deal with that. I brought an abundance of Hog's and Snake's to remedy that situation. Slight overkill, but that's OK!

Jason Petho

The forty-fifth session of A Week in Binh Long. Well, night has fallen. We managed to get about halfway through the Day 5 night. What does that mean? Well, it was a race to get my units to their laager positions for the night. In most cases, I was successful. Alas, in some cases, I missed the cut off by and will be penalized accordingly. Additionally, the Viet Cong are very active and are coming out of the woodwork. I have spotted a good dozen areas where the Viet Cong have captured Victory Locations that will need to be recaptured on Day 6, on top of all the other missions that will be coming in the morning. I've been doing what I can with gunships, although I did lose a couple of Loaches tonight. That doesn't bode well. Lastly, the Area WASHINGTON firebase is under attack by a Viet Cong company supported by heavy weapons. The ARVN there are unlikely to survive.

Jason Petho

The forty-sixth session of A Week in Binh Long. We finally made it through the night of Day 5 and started Day 6. The night was troubling, but I saved the Regional Force units that were at the Area WASHINGTON Firebase. I introduced the Viet Cong force operating in the area to my Snakes and caused some fairly decent casualties. They melt like butter when in the open, yay for that! Otherwise, there is a lot more Viet Cong activity throughout the northern and central sectors, leaving a lot that I will need to recapture on Day 6. We went over the missions for the new day, there are a lot of them and assets are few. The story of my life. 

Tanaka

Quote from: Jason Petho on January 26, 2023, 01:40:26 AMThe forty-sixth session of A Week in Binh Long. We finally made it through the night of Day 5 and started Day 6. The night was troubling, but I saved the Regional Force units that were at the Area WASHINGTON Firebase. I introduced the Viet Cong force operating in the area to my Snakes and caused some fairly decent casualties. They melt like butter when in the open, yay for that! Otherwise, there is a lot more Viet Cong activity throughout the northern and central sectors, leaving a lot that I will need to recapture on Day 6. We went over the missions for the new day, there are a lot of them and assets are few. The story of my life. 

I see lots of compliments of this game over here as well:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/the-john-tiller-thread-of-hex-hell-and-suffering.130823/page-2

Jason Petho

Oh wow, thanks for pointing that out!!

Old TImer

Jason Petho

The forty-seventh session of A Week in Binh Long. The new day has started, Day 6. There is a lot going on here in this session, with lots of planning and organizing our transportation to our new firebase locations throughout the Area of Operations. Area WASHINGTON firebase is still under attack, but with our gunships present, we're causing mass casualties against the Viet Cong that have decided to stick around. The Regional Force company that is defending it is taking some casualties though, unfortunately. Elsewhere I lost a Patton in an assault against a Viet Cong recon platoon. Ugh. The air is buzzing with every helicopter in the sky this morning and a variety of jets have come out of the clouds to pummel the Viet Cong. Yay for a good day! 

Jason Petho

The forty-eighth session of A Week in Binh Long. Well that was a rough session. I was ambushed in a number of areas and suffered some serve losses. In particular, an RPG team wiped out a platoon of ACAV's carrying a platoon of Engineers. Elsewhere, I lost some Loaches and some ARVN Regional Force units as well as landed into a hot LZ. Additionally, I made a mistake with watching the fuel gauge on some Slicks, so they are sitting having a picnic when I need them the most during this phase of Day 6. I have my work cut out for me today, that's for sure! Elsewhere in the other area of Operations, things aren't terrible and I've managed to secure most of the other Firebase locations.

Jason Petho

The forty-ninth session of A Week in Binh Long. We checked the Victory status so far and I'm doing quite well. Although you wouldn't think so today, as I had some serious losses today in the terms of important equipment. The Viet Cong has definitely stepped up attacks, I am running into various platoons far more often than I had been during the early part of the week. Some of the Area of Operations are faring better than other areas in their complexity. While I should be able to secure the areas, I'm not sure I'll get the troops back to their bases by the end of the day. On the bright side, I'm having a lot of fun. This is such a fascinating way to play the Campaign Series! 

Jason Petho

The fiftieth session of A Week in Binh Long. Wow! Can you believe it, I've been in 100 hours on this campaign! Absolutely exhilarating!  So, my planned revisions to the ambushes were not fruitful (one of two was). I figured out why after the fact, I put the ambush to the wrong company. Ha! Close, but not close enough. The company attack that did work managed to destroy three Patton's, which mean that ones I get the correct company working, it will be a very bad day for someone who plays this with the 1.30 UPDATE. I'm also going to ensure the ambush locations are varied. Lots of action all around the map. The Viet Cong ambushes have stepped up elsewhere and I'm doing what I can to tame them and still accomplish my missions.