Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts work in progress.

Started by Destraex, July 19, 2018, 08:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'm glad that now that the game's out in full-access, they hopefully won't reset the tutorial progress yet again.  I think I've gone through them 4 times now.

I've actually been finding them easier this time around compared to previous iterations.  However, I am stuck on the pre-dreadnaughts vs battleships scenario.  The AI battleships have a top speed of 21kn and they just run and pepper me with 12.1" shells at long range.  My crap ships get picked apart before I can even get in range to fire back.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 06, 2023, 02:10:22 PMI'm glad that now that the game's out in full-access, they hopefully won't reset the tutorial progress yet again.  I think I've gone through them 4 times now.

I've actually been finding them easier this time around compared to previous iterations.  However, I am stuck on the pre-dreadnaughts vs battleships scenario.  The AI battleships have a top speed of 21kn and they just run and pepper me with 12.1" shells at long range.  My crap ships get picked apart before I can even get in range to fire back.

I beat that one via sheer volume of fire.  I used smaller caliber main guns than the max available and went all out on training, spotting bonuses and reload speed. I went bare bones on everything else to assure that I had 3 BB's.

That made it 3 on 2 and although I got pasted on the first try, second I got a lucky flash fire on their lead Dreadnought in the early salvos that put her down enough to win with one BB surviving despite their hyper accurate gunnery.

Right now I don't find that speed is helping me avoid gunfire at all in the Academy.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

SirAndrewD

FYI Gamelabs just hotfixed the accuracy bug.

Apparently secondary guns on the AI were getting a huge bonus somewhere, so ships with light batteries were shooting lasers.  Makes sense now that 8 armed transports and one cruiser wiped a dozen destroyers in seconds. 

I'll try the missions I had issues with after work (Yes I'm actually having to actively work today   :censored:  )
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

ArizonaTank

I've pretty much stuck to playing the campaign. Overall, I am having fun with it.

I could make a long list of things I really like about the campaign.

But at the same time, I keep wishing the campaign was just a tad more polished. Particularly with some features that Rule the Waves had. For example:

1) The ability to gain more "intel" on rival navies and ships, particularly in peacetime. The UA:D campaign just gives you a generalized number of ships by class that each navy has. But in real life, navies had more intel on what the technology make-up of their rivals. Also, they would have had some rough sketches of key ship characteristics, size and number of of guns, armor estimates, speed estimate etc. I thought RtW did a pretty good job in this area.

2) The ability to scale size of navies. If you wanted a smaller game, you could select "small" fleets. I generally like a smaller, more intimate game. That way you can get to know each of your ships. But in UA:D you will have nearly 100 ships of all classes.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

DetCord

Came back after nearly a year and it's in even a worse state than before. Review below.

A consistently broken, haphazardly patched, buggy mess. Steer very well clear.

The Good:

Global scale.

• Dynamic events.

• Ability to build a navy from scratch.

• Interesting ship design aspect if not highly limited for certain nations.

The Bad and Ugly:

Weirdly partitioned map.

• The AI can't properly design a ship to save it's life.

• Easily one of the top-five worst GUI's I've ever seen in a game (strategy) like this. It's truly atrocious.

• The AI can't form proper Task Forces or delineate its assets in a cognitive manner while still engaging in doomstacking.

• Minor AI nations ally themselves with powers half a world away. Latvia making an alliance with a Republican China makes total sense. Ya know, for reasons...

• AI nations, after having been thoroughly defeated and depleted, will still seek to make war upon yourself and the AI even if their economies are on the verge of collapse and their fleets being nonexistent. Ya know, for reasons...

• The visuals have taken a complete dump. The AA has been reduced to nothing and the shadows are now so pixelated that you can actually count the tri's and vert's related to model casting. The ridiculously awful LOD decay is so bad that it now looks like someone crushed beer cans and tossed it on top of your ship in place of the guns.

The list goes on, it really does. Every patch breaks existing features or introduces new issues. During the previous Beta, the developers broke the maneuvering component of the ships. Instead of fixing it, restoring it to the previous build, they removed manual steering completely and shifted the steering from the rudder to the CoG. Which means they now maneuver from the center of the ship as opposed to the rudder, just like magic. This is why you'll see wacked out, weird, and unbelievable turns and the like from a variety of vessels.

Every patch, and I mean every single one, breaks previous gameplay components, aspects, and or features. This raises serious questions as to who is in charge and WTF they're doing. Following GL's acquisition by Stillfront, a much lambasted and hated super-consumer of studios, I have absolutely no faith this game will ever be ready for a proper release. It's also probably readily evident that it was pushed into a RC well before it should've been.

MC

Quote from: DetCord on March 17, 2023, 12:26:43 AMCame back after nearly a year and it's in even a worse state than before. Review below.

A consistently broken, haphazardly patched, buggy mess. Steer very well clear.

The Good:

Global scale.

• Dynamic events.

• Ability to build a navy from scratch.

• Interesting ship design aspect if not highly limited for certain nations.

The Bad and Ugly:

Weirdly partitioned map.

• The AI can't properly design a ship to save it's life.

• Easily one of the top-five worst GUI's I've ever seen in a game (strategy) like this. It's truly atrocious.

• The AI can't form proper Task Forces or delineate its assets in a cognitive manner while still engaging in doomstacking.

• Minor AI nations ally themselves with powers half a world away. Latvia making an alliance with a Republican China makes total sense. Ya know, for reasons...

• AI nations, after having been thoroughly defeated and depleted, will still seek to make war upon yourself and the AI even if their economies are on the verge of collapse and their fleets being nonexistent. Ya know, for reasons...

• The visuals have taken a complete dump. The AA has been reduced to nothing and the shadows are now so pixelated that you can actually count the tri's and vert's related to model casting. The ridiculously awful LOD decay is so bad that it now looks like someone crushed beer cans and tossed it on top of your ship in place of the guns.

The list goes on, it really does. Every patch breaks existing features or introduces new issues. During the previous Beta, the developers broke the maneuvering component of the ships. Instead of fixing it, restoring it to the previous build, they removed manual steering completely and shifted the steering from the rudder to the CoG. Which means they now maneuver from the center of the ship as opposed to the rudder, just like magic. This is why you'll see wacked out, weird, and unbelievable turns and the like from a variety of vessels.

Every patch, and I mean every single one, breaks previous gameplay components, aspects, and or features. This raises serious questions as to who is in charge and WTF they're doing. Following GL's acquisition by Stillfront, a much lambasted and hated super-consumer of studios, I have absolutely no faith this game will ever be ready for a proper release. It's also probably readily evident that it was pushed into a RC well before it should've been.

This is exactly the feeling I get when reading the forums. It has turned into a dumpster fire. It will be a long time, if ever, that I'll think about purchasing it.

Gusington

I've owned it for years and enjoyed many of the missions. That said, I have not fired it up in some time...since the campaign has been implemented.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

solops

Well, I have had a jolly good time with it every time I've played. I like it, warts and all, and have only seen it get better. I hope they keep improving it.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Gusington

^Me too. I do have to dive back in soon to see if the rumors are true.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Gusington on March 17, 2023, 12:07:29 PMI've owned it for years and enjoyed many of the missions. That said, I have not fired it up in some time...since the campaign has been implemented.

Quote from: solops on March 17, 2023, 05:52:17 PMWell, I have had a jolly good time with it every time I've played. I like it, warts and all, and have only seen it get better. I hope they keep improving it.

++1, been a few months since I spent any time with it. But I have enjoyed the game for a long time. So I guess I need to get back into it to check out Det's issues.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

CaptainKoloth

Quote from: solops on March 17, 2023, 05:52:17 PMWell, I have had a jolly good time with it every time I've played. I like it, warts and all, and have only seen it get better. I hope they keep improving it.

I'm with solops. I just have an absolute blast with this every time I play it. I find it immensely enjoyable. I think if you approach any game -  ANY game - looking to find things wrong with it you can, but I have tons of fun with UA.

solops

Big new 1.4 beta patch out today! Addresses loading times, game extension, new ship hulls, AI and lots of other stuff. The devs say they still have lots more to do. I am really looking forward to trying it out, as this is one of my top games this year. Unfortunately, Shadow Empires has sucked me in again...Just..can't...quit.......Help!
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin