Main Menu

Terra Invicta

Started by Millipede, October 28, 2019, 12:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: CJReich46 on June 13, 2022, 09:36:30 AM
This demo is WHOA. The tutorial is very unclear on so many things at what it throws at you. It took me forever to figure out how to assign the councilors (agents).

But I will give more impressions later.

Yeah...gotta say, not exactly the greatest first impression.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

devoncop

Just caught up with this one and have been watching some You Tube Demo plays...I gather it is made by the guys who did the " Long War" mod for XCOM and this is certainly no beer and pretzels half hour playthrough type game.

One You Tuber did an 11 hour playthrough of the 7 year demo and managed at the very end to get a single ship into space :)

Yes it looks very deep and complex and the UI is quite old school and reminds me a bit of Xeonaughts but if they get the balance right it could be a hugely challenging and enjoyable timesink. There are some really unique  political ,economic and spy centred mechanics in the game.

Another one being published by Hooded Horse of "Old World" fame.

They are on a bit of a roll.

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

W8taminute

Downloaded and played the demo for a bit last night.  I like what I see so far and realize this game has great potential. 

One thing I will say however is that the tutorial seems to be nothing more than popup's that explain what all the different buttons and symbols mean and do.  I thought the tutorials for Old World were probably the best tutorials I've ever played simply because in Old World the tutorials actually walked you through what was happening with each button click.  I got a sense of understanding why I had to click something and what the goal was. 

That being said I can't wait to dive into the Terra Invicta demo some more.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

devoncop

Quote from: W8taminute on June 17, 2022, 07:29:05 AM
Downloaded and played the demo for a bit last night.  I like what I see so far and realize this game has great potential. 

One thing I will say however is that the tutorial seems to be nothing more than popup's that explain what all the different buttons and symbols mean and do.  I thought the tutorials for Old World were probably the best tutorials I've ever played simply because in Old World the tutorials actually walked you through what was happening with each button click.  I got a sense of understanding why I had to click something and what the goal was. 

I agree from what I have seen of the demo.

With my new found resolution not to buy games until they are on full release I will avoid the demo for now as it is misding a lot of full game features and polish but I am definitely interested too.

I also agree re the Old World tutorials. The best I have come across.

That being said I can't wait to dive into the Terra Invicta demo some more.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Grim.Reaper

Early access starts tomorrow, $39.99.  Little steep for me to jump in right away

SirAndrewD

I'll take the hit for the team.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

I've got it. Been trying out the press build.

It is a very deep game and the UI and core concepts aren't exactly what I would consider intuitive. There is an extremely steep learning curve. I'm sure there is a very good game in here, but it will take a good deal of patience and effort to get to. I'm not sure if that is due to poor design decisions or just a product of the complexity. I'm inclined to say it is somewhat a result of both.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Saw this first access review...just seems like a game I won't be able to wrap my head around

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=7ZWZyGSEj3c&feature=emb_logo

Pete Dero

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 25, 2022, 03:53:27 PM
Saw this first access review...just seems like a game I won't be able to wrap my head around

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=7ZWZyGSEj3c&feature=emb_logo

A little more info in this 10 hour game play video on Twitch : https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1601340107

mbar

I was excited, but I will wait and see. The review video says it looks like 2 games put together. I'm not sure I want to play the first global intrigue one. I can see the appeal though.

Ian C

Played the demo for several hours. The game appears to be solid and stable. The first part of the game is very XCOM-ish but without the combat - it's all about espionage, building your faction on a global level, controlling nations, doing research, etc.

Learning how to assign your councillors to missions is not intuitive at first. You have to un-pause the game, fast forward time until your councillor assignment phase is active. Then you select them, click on a nation, and select mission. Their mission buttons don't appear until the phase is active, then you confirm the mission at the top of screen. The rest of the game is mostly logical to figure out, and there's a lot of it.  I think that a 5-minute tutorial video would actually clear up any confusion and complexity. The design is first-class, and if everything works as designed, it might border on astonishing.

I suspect this * could * be an epic strategy game with much depth.

If you are thinking of trying the demo -watch out - be prepared to invest an hour or two as there is no save game  for the demo version.

Pete Dero

FarAway Sooner

That looks impressive!  If they can make the game pieces hang together in such a way that it's immersive and not too grindy, it could be really awesome.  They still have a lot of polishing work to do, but I'm curious to see how this one continues to evolve.

Worst case scenario, they can always turn it into a twin-stick shooter...

Pete Dero

Small notice : if you have NEBULOUS: Fleet Command on Steam you get an extra discount (9%) for Terra Invicta.

HoodedHorseJoe

Hello everyone! My name is Joe, I'm the new communications director (read: PR guy) at Hooded Horse. Thought I'd drop by and say hey since we're all talking about Terra Invicta.

You may recognise me - I used to be 'WargamerJoe', and I was the former editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer. It's good to be back! Let me know if anyone has any questions!
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.