Let's Talk About! The Consolidated Super thread

Started by Jarhead0331, January 29, 2021, 03:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Going to be running a new regular contest where we talk about a particular subject as it relates to our favorite games and after a few days, everyone who posts will be eligible to participate in our drawing where the randomly selected winner will receive a free copy of a game!

The subject for our first drawing is - TANKS! So, talk about your favorite game that has them.  Simple!

The randomly selected winner will receive a free copy of:

Total Tank Simulator!

Winner will be selected on February 3.

Begin and good luck...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on January 29, 2021, 03:38:37 PM
I was just posting for the sake of the thread!

Clarifying why you just posted a link doesn't make you eligible either.  :crazy2:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Yskonyn

That's easy! Firepower!
Yes, the 1988 port from Amiga by Silent Software.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_Power_(video_game)

You got to choose from 3 tanks and had to find the enemy base and destroy its flag. Meanwhile you could roam around the map (base locations were hidden) and pick up POW's.
Each tank type had a different amount of seats available for these men.

The map was pretty expansive and destructible. Quite a feat for that time.
It also offered splitscreen play and this was the mode mini me spent A LOT of time in with my friend.
The game was actually owned by him and not me and I vividly remember him getting sick of me always asking for a few rounds of Firepower! :D

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

rustyshackleford

I went through a Tank phase about a decade ago - hands down my ALL time favorite gaming when it came to tanks happened in Red Orchestra: Ostfront (I remember playing it when it was a mod before it got its own standalone commercial release).

I'm not a console gamer, but did you also know there was a WW2 tank sim released in the 90s for the Playstation - that was fairly realistic and even included a tactical command map that let you order other tanks in your group even?

Check out this Tiger playing in the snow:

And finally my FAVORITE WW2 system that models tanks + infantry the best for me is Ghost Panzer. Simulating combined arms (infantry and tanks) together in boardgames is tough due to 1) map size/scale and 2) simulated time passing for each turn. Systems are either wildly inaccurate (letting tanks run all over the map) or tack on complicated rules for armor. Ghost Panzer seamlessly integrates BOTH aspects of battle with minimal rules overhang and it's simple, fast and fun as hell. A Tiger can sit at distance in cover/on high ground and plink at T-34s all day long and pretty much own the entire map. But once it starts moving or the T-34s are able to swarm and get in close and/or on the flanks, it's game over for the Germans (which reflects historical accounts from what I've read). The key in this system is figuring out when to move and when to hunker down.

hellfish6

Tank Crew is hot, soulless garbage and I'm 100% invested into the success of GHPC.

-budd-

Got to be the Graviteam games for me. I've had some pretty epic tank battles, which are real easy to setup in the battle generator. Tank battles in early dawn...check, tank battles in the  fog...check, tank battles in the rain, snow, night, sunny day..check, check, check.

Pretty cinematic game.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Gusington

Thank God for this thread because I almost bought Tank Crew this week on sale.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

rustyshackleford

I also forgot about Panzer Elite - an old, old game that can be had on GOG but modders have kept it alive. Check this out!

hellfish6

While I love Panzer Elite, and it will always be the benchmark for WWII tank games for me, I can't play it anymore. No matter how much modders improve it, it still feels like I'm playing a 25-year-old German game.

fran

Well, it started with M1 Tank platoon...

Did play World of Tanks way too much.

Sir Slash

I've got to put in a pitch for my old, trusted friend, the Combat Mission series. From the original to the present, whether it's tank vs tank or tank vs anything, I love the way this game handles combat, Turn-Based or Real-Time. No, you cannot actually drive a tank or shoot the guns, but with about a million things that can happen to your tank when it gets hit by anything from a stray pistol shot to a 15 in. naval gun shell there's no more realistic and unpredictable effects anywhere for me. And you can play a single turn over a dozen times and the same effect can be completely different each time. And any average Joe can create some very hot and huge armored battles like our good friend here at Grogheads, Michael Dorosh. My vote for Tank Stardom.  :dreamer:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.