Campaign Series Vietnam

Started by Grim.Reaper, May 15, 2021, 05:07:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emir Agic

Quote from: Jason Petho on October 17, 2022, 09:25:59 AM
Graphics are being worked on.

What specifically are you wanting to be updated?

I would like to see 2D grpahics overhaul, in vein, for example, Flashpoint Campaigns Red Storm. They started with not so impressive 2D map but improved it a lot by hiring guy from community who made moded map. Now, new version is at corner and 2D map is just splendid (see attached screenshot). I'm not sure if something like this is possible with CS:V engine but, at least for me, current graphics is big turn off factor. I like setting, options, number of scenarios... but presentation is lacking.

Jason Petho

Fundamentally, how maps are made in Southern Storm and how they are made in Campaign Series are two different things, that's the biggest hurdle. The Southern Storm map is a large map graphic, essentially, where the Campaign Series is a set of hexagon tiles so you can make a map at your leisure using the included Map Editor.

Of course, the Campaign Series graphics are fully moddable. In the last YouTube video, I went through a few 3D Mods that are available for the game. That means one can change the tiles to suit their style.
Campaign Series Middle East 1948-1985 : v3.00 coming 2024

Campaign Series Vietnam 1948-1967 : v1.30 released April 26, 2023

Campaign Series Cold War 1948-1985 : v1.00 coming 202?

Jason Petho

The nineteenth session of A Week in Binh Long. Day 3 continues, we're a little over half way through the day. Seems the Viet Cong are getting braver and have started to come out to play. Area FLORIDA is mostly secured, 2d/28th has done an excellent job. I'm getting used to my helicopter management (although I had forgotten a bunch down in the south nearly the entire session today... d'oh!).  1st/16th has secured Area IDAHO and 2d/2d Infantry is fortifying Minh Thanh. I ran into some Viet Cong, but all seems to get going well on that front as I can captured or destroyed most of what I found. The new battalion on the block, 1st/2d Infantry, is going to be clearing some Viet Cong that is taking back some points along the western edge of the operating areas and along QL13 our MIKE force has some mortars to plop some smoke. We're ready for an assault.

Jason Petho

The latest patch for Campaign Series Vietnam from the Campaign Series Legion team has just gone live!

You can download it from the game launchers check for update button, the product page download area, as well as the following Download Link:

https://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/CampaignSeriesVietnam/CampaignSeriesVietnam-UpdateComp-v1.23.00.zip

This patch comes with a large number of enhancements, fixes and revisions of scenarios, graphics, units and much more! To see the full list of changes please see the changelog below.

17.1 Vietnam Update Log for 1.23

17.1.1 Errata
• No errata for 1.23

17.1.2 Enhancements
• In the Scenario Editor, implemented a new, standalone Missions Dialog, for specifying one or more Mission Types for each side. (We anticipate making expanded use of this legacy capability, both in the EAI and the CSEE/SAI.)
• Expanded the list of Mission Types from the legacy 11 to 23.
• Extended the sound categories from 35 to 43, to accommodate the eight new aircraft/helicopter sound types.
• Extended Map Hints to display 'W' marker labels at inland Waterway hexes.
• In 2D, when direct firing blindly into apparently empty hexes, the tracer fire and explosion graphics will newly display.
• Trace fire and light arms explosion graphics will no longer display, and map recentering to the target hex will not happen, if the target hex is out of Line of Sight.
• Implemented the new CSEE functions: game(), game_name(), scenario(), missions(), mission_name(), region(), region_name(), biome(), biome_name(), condition(), shuffle().
• Implemented a new CSEE/SAI uber function, attack_sequential().
• Implemented a new CSlint utility, csflgfix.pl, for modifying unit flag values.
• Revised the CSlint utilities csscnchk.pl & csluachk.pl to accommodate the new Mission Types and new CSEE functions.
• With the -V command-line option, every game EXE will display its version # and build time/date.
• Revamped the log system ERRID codes, for better CSEE/SAI debugging.
• Updated several CSlint utilities.

17.1.3 Fixes
• Fixed an assault CTD bug (where all ground units are overrun, and with helicopters flying overhead).
• Fixed a bug where, during day turns only, the Status Bar and HexInfo Box flare (starshell) counts were in disagreement (showing as 0 in the HexInfo Box).
• Fixed a CTD bug in the legacy airstrike system.
• Fixed a bug where in certain airstrike situations some aircraft animations will fail to show.
• Fixed a potential CTD bug if an aircraft Sp*.bit shadow file is missing.
• Fixed some flaws in the attack_way_point() and defend_way_point() CSEE functions.
• Fixed several other flaws in the CSEE/SAI.
• Fixed other minor bugs, and made other minor code improvements.

17.1.4 Graphics
• Revised A Week in Mekong campaign BMPs.
• Added new Special Forces supply icon 3D graphics.
• Fixed a number of *.bit unit outline files.

17.1.5 Data
• Revised the Sounds.dat to incorporate the new sounds for aircraft and helicopters.
• Fixed several other sound issues.
• Revised the Weapon.pdt to incorporate the new special forces supply units.
• Raised village TEM to 0.70.
• Added new Special Forces supply unit to US/France/Australia.
• Revised other platoon files to incorporate new sounds.

17.1.6 Scenarios
• Revised A Week in Mekong scripting to remedy issues found during play.
• Revised A Week in Mekong map.
• Revised A Week in Binh Long scripting to remedy issues found during play.
• Added Mission Types to all scenarios for future use.
• Revised a number of Lua file errors.

17.1.7 Mods
• No new mods for 1.23.

17.1.8 Manual
• Revised manual to 1.23 standards.

Jason Petho

The twentieth session of A Week in Binh Long. Day 3 continues, although the end of the day is getting close. There's still a bit to do, but I've been making some good progress in some areas, not so good in other areas. Most the areas are now secured and I have been hunting down some Viet Cong with an armoured cavalry task force, but the Viet Cong completely disappeared. The MIKE force had a successful assault and cleared the Viet Cong Engineer that cut our important QL13 Main Supply Route. Otherwise, the battalions are converging towards their firebases for the night. Will I make it? Ugh... not everywhere!

Jason Petho

The twenty-first session of A Week in Binh Long. Darkness has fallen at the end of the session. With that, the Viet Cong are coming out of their hiding places. I ran into a company as I was withdrawing in the north, taking casualties, causing me to retreat into the jungle. It appears that the Day 1 Firebase at Area LOUISIANA has fallen, which is something else I have to do on Day 4. The Viet Cong company in the deep south was spotted and presumably is heading towards QL13 and no means to intercept as night is falling. I have a sneaky suspicion it is going to be a hard night.

Jason Petho

The twenty-second session of A Week in Binh Long. The night turns have gone by quickly. We were very fortunate to have an armoured cavalry troop located at the wrong base and was en route south, allowing it to stave off a Viet Cong night attack against a QL13 position that was occupied by some ARVN troops. Pure luck that, no kidding! (I'm going to add some randomization for this attacking company for a future update).  We also managed to destroy an additional Viet Cong unit in the north, stuck between two firebases. Day 4 is only a few turns away.

Jason Petho

The twenty-third session of A Week in Binh Long. Day 4 has arrived, and with that we learned we will be receiving an additional two US infantry battalions with another Cavalry Troop and an ARVN battalion will be released. There is a lot going on today, with a lot of Task Forces being created to secure the new areas and recapture areas that were lost. An overview of all the missions assigned today were gone through and the main reference map was updated. A challenging day ahead, but fun indeed!

Jason Petho

How to Script the AI with Lua for the Campaign Series Vietnam PC Wargame.

This is a basic tutorial for learning how to script the AI for an attacking Viet Cong company against a position. I take you behind the scenes to share with you my process when scripting each company in such a way to add some variability which allows for replayability. This is intended to be a tutorial set of videos that will cover each of the five attacking Viet Cong Companies.

Jason Petho

The twenty-fourth session of A Week in Binh Long. A few more turns of the beginning of Day 4. Quite the adventure so far, running into some Viet Cong and noticing that they are still active in the field. I am quickly realizing I don't have enough helicopters to do everything I need. There are some tough decisions being made, especially due to the distance to some of the firebases that are required to be built. The brand new battalion, 1st/28th Infantry has arrived on the map, but we're still waiting for 1st/26th to arrive. Both of these are1st Brigade battalions. The next few sessions will be full of action and confusion, how fun!

Jason Petho

The twenty-fifth session of A Week in Binh Long. Lots of great discussion today by viewers, thank you all for tuning in to chat! Some great ideas and some hints on future improvements. We made to turn 190, 25% of the way through Day 4. I went over a bit how I wasn't performing some Search and Destroy missions and what the implications of that will be later on in the scenario (for your entertainment, of course). We are still waiting for 1st/16th to arrive by air at Minh Thanh, leaving that sector not very well defended at the moment. Otherwise, the other battalions are in the middle of their tasks while a few things slip through the cracks as it is a lot to take care of. Onward and positive vibes!

Jason Petho

The twenty-sixth session of A Week in Binh Long. The turns have slowed down as there is a lot to do. I still cranked out a few and we're making some decent progress. The 2d/28th Infantry has run into some resistance and I'm tackling them with some Pink Teams. This is a difficult task as drawing fire isn't always a sure thing. 1st/26th is still missing, it should have landed at Minh Thanh by now, which is leaving that new base quite vulnerable, as the 1st/16th Infantry has pulled out to the other side of QL13. 3rd Brigade HQ is getting its final destination, although a couple days late. I have to learn to follow instructions, apparently. Ha!

Jason Petho

The twenty-seventh session of A Week in Binh Long. *CAVEAT* Using a brand new set of BETA EXE's for the 1.30 UPDATE, and one of the new features killed the combat/movement sounds for this session. Otherwise, things are progressing. 1st/26th Infantry finally started arriving at Minh Thanh! I had the misfortune of losing some gunships (Snakes) as they were supporting the ARVN 4th/9th operation. Otherwise, I'm finally getting the rest of the battalions organized and firebases starting to be built. Nearly half way through the day and I feel like I'm making some decent progress. The Viet Cong still keep taking pot shots are my helicopters, which I'm trying to hunt down and eliminate.

Jason Petho

The twenty-eighth session of A Week in Binh Long. We have sound! YAY! Back into Day 4, almost at the halfway point of the day. We have 1st/26th arriving at Minh Thanh finally and I am sending them out into the bush to see if they can find some contact. I ran into some Viet Cong in a few sectors, although it is light action so far, things are heating up. Helicopters losses were minimal this session although a few of them were riddled with holes. Some of the firebases have finally been completed and I have my engineers on the right paths for clearing some of the vital Main Supply Routes in the area. I noticed a brand new ARVN squadron that was released that I get to use for road security... Amen to that!

Jason Petho

How to Script the AI with Lua for the Campaign Series Vietnam PC Wargame.

This is the second basic tutorial for learning how to script the AI for the second attacking Viet Cong company against a position. I take you behind the scenes to share with you my process when scripting each company in such a way to add some variability which allows for replayability. This is intended to be a tutorial set of videos that will cover each of the five attacking Viet Cong Companies.