Campaign Series Vietnam

Started by Grim.Reaper, May 15, 2021, 05:07:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Thus come forth the Vietnamese Verewolves....!  :HideEyes:

(And the rock apes come forth to mess with you all!)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jason Petho

Here is a basic introduction to how I make the hypsometric tint mod (mods) for the Campaign Series Vietnam game. This is a very simplified "For Your Information" style video and not a formalized process.

Campaign Series Middle East 1948-1985 : v3.00 coming 2024

Campaign Series Vietnam 1948-1967 : v1.30 released April 26, 2023

Campaign Series Cold War 1948-1985 : v1.00 coming 202?

Jason Petho

The fifty-seventh session of A Week in Binh Long. Night has fallen and the Viet Cong have started to come out to play. As expected, things are getting worse as the turns go by. Even though the night has just begun, I'm already taking some unexpected losses. I lost some APC's, an ARVN 155mm Battery, even one of my Task Force headquarters. The Viet Cong have been spotted inside An Loc and around Chon Thanh. The main attacks even come yet, so I am doing what I can to prepare for them. Out in the countryside, the Viet Cong are cutting off roads and highways and capturing villages.

Jason Petho

The fifty-eighth session of A Week in Binh Long. Well, we are burning through night turns of Day 6, but not in a good way. There is lots of ambient light provided by the burning wrecks from Viet Cong attacks. It seems the Viet Cong are hitting most of the main cities in various strengths. Some are small probes, some seem to be more determined. An Loc, for example, is finally starting to regain some semblance of control. On the bright side, I did have an ARVN battalion become released - due to its being attacked too much. Ha! 

Jason Petho

The fifty-ninth session of A Week in Binh Long. The proverbial crap has hit the fan with two hours of intense combat the whole way through, although it seemed lighter at the beginning. As we get closer to the end of the night of Day 6, the Viet Cong are attack in full force. Loc Ninh and An Loc are infiltrated by Viet Cong platoons and assaulting left - right and center. I am suffering some severe losses all over the place. At least I didn't least any helicopters this session... ha!

JasonPratt

Sounds like the NVA decided to get rid of I MEAN SUPPORT IN A COMRADELY FASHION a bunch of South Vietnamese insurgents this Tet holiday.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Jason Petho

*laughs* Pretty much.

It's a good preview of what the Tet DLC will be like.

JasonPratt

Note to self, Tet DLC, noted....  :notworthy:

Jason Petho

The sixtieth session of A Week in Binh Long. 120 hours later, we finally hit the dawn of Day 7. What a mess, seriously! Loc Ninh and An Loc have suffered terrible losses in both territory and men and material. Fortunately, the south, with the exceptional of Lai Khe has remained unscathed. I have spent the first turn of Day 7 deciding on what my courses of actions will be. There are a lot of things to consider for this day and how I plan on recapturing many areas I have secured once before.

JasonPratt

Coincidentally, An Loc also isn't doing so well in the Fire in the Lake multiplayer match I'm losing at the moment. (The NVA player, Airboy as he's known to many of us here, playing FitL for his first time, just made his first big red wave move. W8 and I, as the US and ARVN respectively, naturally focused too much on the VC player, and on beefing ourselves up, not enough on undermining AB's coming threat. I love that game so much!)

Jason Petho

I watched some videos on Fire in the Lake! Looks like a blast!

bruce205

Hey Pratt, is Fire in the Lake good solo on Tabletop Simulator ? Thanks

nelmsm

Quote from: bruce205 on March 17, 2023, 04:23:51 PMHey Pratt, is Fire in the Lake good solo on Tabletop Simulator ? Thanks

Don't know about TTS but I"m having a blast with it on Vassal in a 4 player game.

Jason Petho

The sixty-first session of A Week in Binh Long. Silly me for thinking that the night would be worse than the day. The morning has turned into hell in a handbasket. Loc Ninh and An Loc are being succumb to mortar and rocket attacks while the Viet Cong are still conducting assaults and attacks. Some are fairing better than others. I have been able to start allocating resources and developing plans for counter attacks. The coming next sessions will be a race to the wire to see who can get to the main cities the fastest with the mostest. On the bright side...ha, who am I kidding, there's no bright side with today's session.

JasonPratt

Quote from: bruce205 on March 17, 2023, 04:23:51 PMHey Pratt, is Fire in the Lake good solo on Tabletop Simulator? Thanks

Yes and no: the module makers are VERY careful to only provide the material from the official VASSAL modules provided by GMT, which means some key solo material will always be missing. Of course the bot rules themselves can still be found as part of the main rulebook (provided directly by GMT on their site), but the bots require some randomization effects which only come as part of the official hardcopy.

You could of course hash up some randomization / flowchart rules yourself. Or better yet if you have a copy of the game, then you have those at hand already, in which case the TTS modules work just as well as a physical tabletop for solo, with all the advantages of being digital (so saving, undoing, copying or deleting pieces, importing tools, etc.)