Much to my not-entirely-surprise.... MASTER OF MAGIC by Matrix!!

Started by JasonPratt, June 25, 2021, 10:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

devoncop

Bought.

Never played the first version and I think having seen some you tube stuff it will be a really nice relaxing game.

The UI to me looks good .
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Gusington

I really hope it is relaxing - Knights of Honor should be relaxing but it has only made me get hyped 😎

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

Quote from: Gusington on December 15, 2022, 01:53:18 PM
I really hope it is relaxing - Knights of Honor should be relaxing but it has only made me get hyped 😎

:)

W8taminute

When you dig a little deeper let us know what you think.  I'm on the fence with this one. 

KoH 2 is definitely not as relaxing as I thought it was going to be however it is still not too difficult to understand and play.  I love it!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

devoncop

Quote from: W8taminute on December 15, 2022, 03:14:57 PM
When you dig a little deeper let us know what you think.  I'm on the fence with this one. 

KoH 2 is definitely not as relaxing as I thought it was going to be however it is still not too difficult to understand and play.  I love it!

Will do. Intend to give master of Magic a roll tomorrow morning.

Am having an absolute blast with KoH2 as well. My current playthrough with Scotland is still going well once I crushed the inevitable rebellion in Dublin ! For a confirmed turn based strategy fan it is far more managable than the Paradox stuff for me.

W8taminute

^Haha! 

Yes I can't stand Paradox games anymore.  KoH2 seems to have simplified the formula enough to make it easy to manage an empire while hitting that sweet spot of not overwhelming complexity.  All in a realtime setting.  Something I don't really like being a fellow TBS'er as most of us here.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

devoncop

Well I gave MoM a spin but have for the first time in a long while got a refund.

I found the game quite unresponsive and not sharp in responding to mouse clicks. Seems done on a tight budget to me.

A shame.

W8taminute

al_infierno

Quote from: devoncop on December 15, 2022, 04:28:38 PM
Well I gave MoM a spin but have for the first time in a long while got a refund.

I found the game quite unresponsive and not sharp in responding to mouse clicks. Seems done on a tight budget to me.

A shame.

What are your system specs?  The game plays just fine to me.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

Unresponsive, that's weird. Maybe it needs an optimization patch or three.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

Quote from: al_infierno on December 15, 2022, 06:54:05 PM
Quote from: devoncop on December 15, 2022, 04:28:38 PM

A shame.

What are your system specs?  The game plays just fine to me.

It's a pretty much brand new PC , 16 GB Corsair Vengeance, Geoforce RTX 3060, Intel I7 3.6Ghz 8 core CPU and 500GB SSD.

The game DID work but it was a bit slow to respond to the right click move commands and to me just felt (as Gus suggests) under optimised .
Others don't seem to have an issue so it's just one of those things.

solops

I am confused by the bad press this game has gotten. I am enjoying it and WILL definitely replay it many times. I note that only 25% of the people who have the game on Steam have played it long enough to get the achievement for researching  even one spell, yet so many feel competent to trash it.

And the game is really quick for me, no lags anywhere. I cannot imagine what caused that. but I can understand the frustration.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

ArizonaTank

I recently bought it with my anniversary coupon.

For me, the game is just a rehash of what has been done before, and at a price point that is high. It plays OK, but I can't help but feel I have played this game before.

20 years ago it would have been on the top of the heap. Today, it is just one of many IMHO.

I do understand the responsiveness point. There is nothing wrong with it per se...but it does feel just a little sluggish compared to more recent games.  Hard to put my finger on...but I felt the same way.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JasonPratt

As I've said before many times, including probably upthread (since I started it ;) ), back when devs were having the devil of a time trying to remake MoM-but-better, I'd be all for a modern remaster of MoM because it was the only Mom-style game that worked.

But now we have such games which work with extra sauce (like AoW3 or even AoW:SM, or Deity Kings for a low-tech alternative), plus weird MoM variants like the Dominions series (and the closely related Conquest of Elyseium) which do the basic concept VERY differently. Plus MoM itself still exists with upgrades, and still works on modern computers as Matrix itself sells.

I'm sure I'll get it sometime, and I certainly don't begrudge it being made. But neither am I in any hurry to do so anymore.  :undecided:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Tanaka

I was waiting to use my anniversary coupon to purchase it as it did not seem to be the next MOM I wanted (which was more modernized and updated with bigger maps and more than just 4 players) but I am going to give it a chance at half off now from Humble Bundle.

This new Explorminate review also helped:

Ok after playing it all night I can say I'm addicted so far so I can recommend. I do like it better than the original MOM. The graphics are obviously better as well. I think they have done a nice job. Really enjoying it so far glad I gave it a chance. Definitely worth it for $20.