Order of Battle vs Panzer Corps 2

Started by acctingman, February 17, 2023, 10:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acctingman

To anyone that has played both. Which one did you prefer? They both seem to cover most of the WW2 arenas well.

Gusington

I prefer Order of Battle, although I like them both. OoB is more challenging, but both are very fun and accessible.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Gusington on February 17, 2023, 12:24:58 PMI prefer Order of Battle, although I like them both. OoB is more challenging, but both are very fun and accessible.

+1

I loved the original SSI Panzer General, but somehow Panzer Corps never captured that lightning for me.

But I have very much enjoyed Order of Battle
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

acctingman

Thank you both. After a little digging myself, OoB it is, then I'm going to try Strategic Command WW2  :ThumbsUp:

Gusington

^I also loved the original Panzer General, if that helps you  :headscratch:

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Quote from: acctingman on February 17, 2023, 01:09:03 PMThank you both. After a little digging myself, OoB it is, then I'm going to try Strategic Command WW2  :ThumbsUp:

StratCom is certainly a good upgrade to the PanzGen idea, to a far more strategic level. Though it also has its problems from that engine (like no stacking).

I do like OoB better than PzCrp, too (though I haven't played PzCrp2). But from everything I've read, it's best to buy one module, and then just ignore the modules to run the fan-made modules which, even with campaigns, are much better.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

I haven't played any fan made modules/scenarios/campaigns in Panzer Corps 2 yet. However, Panzer Corps 2 has some unique campaigns, like the one set in the Spanish Civil War and some really solid early World War II scenarios set in 1939.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

If it comes to that, I've been very impressed with the Strategic Mind series of adapting upgraded PzGen games to a 3D Unreal engine. The Blitz game has a tutorial that starts with a campaign in the Spanish Civil War.

On the other hand, a potentially important advantage to the Panzer Corps games over OoB and StratMind, is multiplayer. I've been trying to hotpatch an ad hoc campaign for a friend in PzCrp1 starting with Poland, for a few months now. (Turns out, fighting against the Poland campaign map when the AI isn't running Poland, isn't nearly as easy as it looks!  :evil: )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Tanaka

Quote from: acctingman on February 17, 2023, 01:09:03 PMThank you both. After a little digging myself, OoB it is, then I'm going to try Strategic Command WW2  :ThumbsUp:

Prefer SC games over both. Why settle for a scenario when you can fight the entire war!

acctingman

Quote from: Tanaka on February 18, 2023, 12:13:34 AM

Prefer SC games over both. Why settle for a scenario when you can fight the entire war!

I think I'm going to play OoB for a spell then jump into SC WW2.

Thanks for all the comments

Dammit Carl!

The "Morning Sun," and "Rising Sun," campaigns for OoB kinda sold me on it as I'm a sucker for, to me, unique conflict eras/areas in much the same way I've got "Warplan Orange," sitting in my library somewhere.

Pete Dero

Quote from: acctingman on February 18, 2023, 10:17:38 AMI think I'm going to play OoB for a spell then jump into SC WW2.

Try OOB for free :

The free version of the game gives you access to the unique Boot Camp campaign as well as a taste of the first chapter of every other campaign pack. This means that new free missions will appear as soon as a new campaign gets released!

Gusington

I played and finished both the Morning Sun and Rising Sun OoB campaigns and can vouch that they are really well done, challenging but not impossible, and not as puzzly as some other similar games like Unity of Command can be.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Tanaka

Quote from: Gusington on February 18, 2023, 12:41:12 PMI played and finished both the Morning Sun and Rising Sun OoB campaigns and can vouch that they are really well done, challenging but not impossible, and not as puzzly as some other similar games like Unity of Command can be.

Yeah it's the puzzly part of these scenario games like PC, OOB, UOC, that turn me off. That's why I prefer the global SC games. More about strategy and less about trying to fit puzzle pieces. MP is a lot of fun as well.

-budd-

If your going with OOB visit the mod thread over at Slitherine here:

https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=374

Specifically this thread:
https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=80862

There's other good stuff spread out through the thread.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.