Just bought this bad boy (USS George Washington)

Started by JudgeDredd, March 28, 2016, 01:05:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

I'm so not sure when I'll get round to making it, but it was cheap and I've NEVER made a model ship before.

I'm sure for that price it's not going to be hugely detailed and may have some fit issues - but it could be my window into the ship building world.
Alba gu' brath

bob48

Ooh, nice. A bit of a departure from your usual models, JD. plenty of piccies during construction, please :-)
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

JudgeDredd

Will do.

No idea when I'll get round to it but I'm really looking forward to it.

Currently I have an Su-27 for the ISM Group Build which has to be completed by the end of April and a Leopard 1 - both "on the go".

I've also got a couple of wee 1/72 trial things on the go and I've got my Space 1999 Eagle to build.

I need to stop being scared of airbrushing and juts get on with it.  :'(
Alba gu' brath

Staggerwing

Nice! @ 1/720 the thing should be at least a foot and a half long.

I built an Enterprise model (CVN-65, not NCC-1701, though I'm sure I did one of those too) when I was a teen, lo so many eons ago. I vaguely recall building one of the IJN carriers as well. Painting all the teeny-tiny AC with their canopies and markings was a real chore, but worth it. You need a really tiny brush.

What's the aircraft compliment on your model?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JudgeDredd

I have absolutely no idea I'm afraid. It looks like a lot on the photo...

Alba gu' brath

Staggerwing

Whole lotta Hornets on that deck.

I see a Tracker on the landing deck and what looks like two Intruders or Prowlers on the port side.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Nefaro

Quote from: Staggerwing on March 28, 2016, 06:19:42 PM
Whole lotta Hornets on that deck.

Just about the only thing they're loaded with these days.

I see a Tracker on the landing deck and what looks like two Intruders or Prowlers on the port side.

Should be EA-6s unless this is a pretty old kit.  Judging by the rest of them only being F-18s and the Tracker, I'm guessing it's not that old.

Staggerwing

Well, the Intruder was used till around 1996-98 or so. Granted that may seem like a long time ago to the young-uns around here but to me, not so much...  :(

JudgeDredd

Well...here's the sprues

I count

• 7xHelicopters
  • 4xF14
  • 20xF18
  • 1xE3
  • 2xEA6
Though the instructions suggest the F14s and EA6s are not used in the model, though I might stick 'em on anyway.

As for size, it's 468mm long and 132mm high (19" x 5")

And the instructions...not overly complicated

Alba gu' brath

Staggerwing

Wow!

Also, I could be wrong but it looks like you have the option of doing a full hull or waterline version. Very cool!

JudgeDredd

It does look like there's a waterline version. I'll be doing the full hull though as I'm not into doing dioramas
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Resurrect this from it's death - I cracked this box open last night and have started. Not much progress yet though

I did cut my finger trying to separate the top hull from the bottom hull  :'(
Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

JudgeDredd

As Photobucket raped my internet history (and very, very surprisingly got away with it), I should let you know it's THIS I'm building

Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

I've finally finished my USS George Washington model.

Alba gu' brath