Main Menu

New Rig

Started by Jarhead0331, September 12, 2019, 10:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

Just joking. The old Intel vs AMD debate people like to get all fired up about.

That said, I have had two AMD rigs and both did suffer from annoying anomalies like driver issues or weird instabilities.
But this is perhaps 10 years ago.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Ugh...my system was estimated to ship by 2/2. Of course, we're past that now and still no dice. The rig is assembled...except for the GFX card, which, of course, is on back order. They're expecting to receive some 3080s on Monday so we'll see. Fingers crossed.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Still no shipment due to shortage of 3080 cards.

There is an option to possible swap the 3080 for an RX 6900 XT for no change in cost. I know some people really dislike the AMD GFX cards, but this seems to be a really attractive option. The 6900 is AMD's answer to the 3090, so it would seem to be the better card over a 3080. I've watched a few benchmarks and it frequently outperforms the 3080 and in some cases outperforms the 3090.

What are your thoughts?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

z1812

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 25, 2021, 02:08:59 PM
Still no shipment due to shortage of 3080 cards.

There is an option to possible swap the 3080 for an RX 6900 XT for no change in cost. I know some people really dislike the AMD GFX cards, but this seems to be a really attractive option. The 6900 is AMD's answer to the 3090, so it would seem to be the better card over a 3080. I've watched a few benchmarks and it frequently outperforms the 3080 and in some cases outperforms the 3090.

What are your thoughts?

Whenever I suffer a similar dilemma, I ask myself, if they were both in front of me which would I prefer.....and I go with that, even if I have to wait.

GDS_Starfury

which format does your monitor prefer?  amd has the freesync things and nvidia has G-sync
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 25, 2021, 02:23:10 PM
which format does your monitor prefer?  amd has the freesync things and nvidia has G-sync

I wont be gaming much with a monitor on this rig. It will almost exclusively be VR.

This doesn't look very favorable though...

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-3080-vs-AMD-RX-6900-XT/4080vs4091?fbclid=IwAR3un0OYcvNSDpm5CuGxoPX_eEj0XtiT88ukZpTH42ZRDqpPu2moE-Y11u4

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Opinions are so divided.  People with Nvidia cards tell me to wait for the 3080. People with the 6000 series AMD cards say they are thrilled with the performance and are happy they didn't wait for a Nvidia card.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

steve58

3rd option: go with the RX 6900 XT for now, pick up a 3080 or 3090 later when they are available, and then give me sell the RX 6900 XT?  :-\
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Jarhead0331

My system FINALLY shipped today. They put the 6900XT into the system, which is the top of the line AMD GFX card. The upgrade was free of charge. Still no 3080s in stock and I just didn't want to wait anymore. The rig was ordered on January 18th.

Anyway....fingers crossed. Hope I made the right decision. So, the final specs are:

Processor: AMD Ryzen™ 9 5900X 3.7GHz 12-Core
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO - ATX
Memory: G.SKILL Z Trident Total 64 GB Dual Channel Memory
Graphics Card:AMD Radeon™ RX 6900 XT, 16GB of dedicated GDDR6
Operating System Storage: 1TB Patriot P300 PCIe 4.0 M.2 NVMe
CPU Liquid Cooling: CLX Quench 240 Closed Liquid Cooler
Secondary Storage: 4TB 3.5in Seagate Barracuda HDD
Chassis Selection: Set Eclipse P400S Mid Tower Black/Red
Chassis Fans: CLX Red Ring Fan
Power Supply: EVGA 850 B3 - 80+ Bronze 850W

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on March 09, 2021, 08:54:09 PM
6900XT...noice.

This is my first AMD rig in literally like 15+ years. I'm very nervous.  :-\
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

I didn't think you knew the meaning of the word nervous.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Really stupid question...

When you get a new rig, do you always use the power cable that is supplied with the new system, or do you sometimes just stick with the old one that you have been using? They all look identical and I have dozens of them laying around. I'm asking only because I'm lazy. With the new rig coming, I'm going to have to rotate a few systems and with all my peripherals and devices, there are a crap load of wires and cords. Having one or two less to worry about will be of some consolation.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

steve58

I'd go with the power cord that comes with the new rig, especially if the PS in the new rig is different than the old rig.  Just a quick look on Amazon shows that PSU power cords come in different gauges, so I'd stick with the one shipped with the new rig.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)