Main Menu

Star Citizen

Started by Jarhead0331, June 04, 2014, 10:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Never being satisfied with what I have, I broke down and splurged for a package in Star Citizen. The pricing scheme is fairly complicated, with concepts like pledges, backers, packages, subscriptions and even "ship insurance" and I found the official store page and forums to be pretty confusing and uninformative, but after asking around I got pretty concise info. that made me feel comfortable enough to jump in.

Basically, you can buy single ship packages that come with one ship, some in game credits, a hangar module and access to the single player campaign and beta when available...or you can spend a lot more money (like ridiculous money) and buy one of several multi-ship packages.  I found out that once the persistent universe is online, ship insurance will be required to protect your vessels from loss. However, insurance is purchased with in-game currency (not real money) and policy periods are calculated in in-game time. So my fear of a microtransaction environment where people who constantly pay real money are the only ones who succeed in game were alleviated.

Anyway, they just released the first in-flight "pre-alpha" module and although early reports indicate it is in a VERY rough state, access is only $5.00.  So, I picked a relatively economy class single ship package ($45) and got me the pre-alpha access for another $5. I'm downloading now and probably won't be able to play any until tomorrow night.

Screen shots do look spectacular though, and they certainly are building quite an impressive universe...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

JH,

Did you ever end up loading this and playing?  Any initial thoughts?  I know probably can't completely compare yet because each game is in different stages and SC only has combat so far, but any thoughts compared to Elite?

Like you I was completely confused by the pricing and how much future money would have to be thrown into it....but your explanation seems reasonable...still a little concerned about what all the additional add-ons will cost, but I guess we'll see.

Jarhead0331

Yes. Haven't played much though. It has a long way to go, but shows tremendous potential. I posted a bunch of screen shots in the screen shot thread.  Elite is much further along in its development.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

SirAndrewD

I'm a day one backer.  But yeah, there's not much to show for the development so far.  Elite right now is much better.

I have trust in Chris Roberts though. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Grim.Reaper

Thanks guys...will keep my eye on it.

Bletchley_Geek

Quote from: SirAndrewD on July 15, 2014, 08:26:34 PM
I'm a day one backer.  But yeah, there's not much to show for the development so far.  Elite right now is much better.

I just fiddled a bit with the free flight mode this weekend, after installing several Gigabytes of patches (they do finally have a P2P distribution system, downloading stuff over HTTP was very slow).

It just is what it was advertised: a Privateer/Wing Commander 1 & 2 kind of experience, enhanced by today's graphics and physics enabled by the raw power of our PCs (I see I need to buy a joystick, after more than 10 years without one). I was flying around with the sample light fighter they provide, and I can't say I was impressed, since in the 'free' flight mode you're restricted to fly on a sphere with a diameter of a few kilometers, or it felt like that, which certainly detracts a bit from the experience.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Bletchley_Geek on July 15, 2014, 09:32:50 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on July 15, 2014, 08:26:34 PM

I just fiddled a bit with the free flight mode this weekend, after installing several Gigabytes of patches (they do finally have a P2P distribution system, downloading stuff over HTTP was very slow).

It just is what it was advertised: a Privateer/Wing Commander 1 & 2 kind of experience, enhanced by today's graphics and physics enabled by the raw power of our PCs (I see I need to buy a joystick, after more than 10 years without one). I was flying around with the sample light fighter they provide, and I can't say I was impressed, since in the 'free' flight mode you're restricted to fly on a sphere with a diameter of a few kilometers, or it felt like that, which certainly detracts a bit from the experience.

Thanks for the additional feedback...it will be interesting to see how this one turns out....

RooksBailey

What I am going to say is completely unfair and completely unsubstantiated because I have tried neither SC nor Elite Dangerous, but my gut tells me that when all is said and done, Elite is going to be the game to beat.  Don't know why, but there just seems something more credible about the Elite development team than there is with the hype-based SC team.  Elite reminds me of a carefully tailored game development project, while SC seems more about throwing everything but the kitchen sink into a design doc and hoping a massive budget can make good on the promise - basically, how the federal government works.  :)

Again, just a shot in the dark from me.  Guess we'll see sooner or later.
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Bletchley_Geek

Quote from: RooksBailey on July 16, 2014, 09:08:39 PM
What I am going to say is completely unfair, and completely unsubstantiated because I have tried neither SC nor Elite Dangerous, but my gut tells me that when all is said and done, Elite is going to be the game to beat.  Don't know why, but there just seems something more credible about the Elite development team than there is with the hype-based SC team.  Elite reminds me of a carefully tailored game development project, while SC seems more about throwing everything but the kitchen sink into a design doc and hoping a massive budget can make good on the promise - basically, how the federal government works.  :)

Again, just a shot in the dark from me.  Guess we'll see sooner or later.

Shooting in the dark sometimes hits home, mate.

Having invested a bit of cash on Chris Roberts' enterprise, I must say that the low-key approach of David Braben seems to be delivering more often and earlier. I had to choose between two horses, and indeed it seems that the dark horse is coming ahead on many respects.

I am still confident that I haven't thrown good money after bad, but well, as anyone who has ever invested a penny in something, you never really know :)

Jarhead0331

So star citizen has raised over $43,000,000. That's MILLiON, fellas. It's set all sorts of records for the PC game industry.  Roberts has set a new stretch goal...for $50,000,000, he will create and add alien languages to the game. That's just great. He'll make another seven million dollars and the game will be delayed another 2 years because he is writing gibberish. I think he needs to stop counting money, stop adding features and start making game.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

TacticalWargames

He needs 2 million dollars to make up some alien languages...

Jarhead0331

^whatever. Does it make a difference? You get the point.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

I can make up an alien language for 100.00 and a box of Malomars.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

TacticalWargames

I was saying it in a "he is taking the piss" kind of way:)

Elite is the one I'm keeping my eye on..was the first game I ever got hooked on.

SC and the insurance thing is what really made me think and decided to stay away. Insurance in real life cam be a rip..let alone for an imaginary starship..

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 17, 2014, 06:28:31 AM
^whatever. Does it make a difference? You get the point.

Boggit

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 17, 2014, 05:01:33 AM
So star citizen has raised over $43,000,000. That's MILLiON, fellas. It's set all sorts of records for the PC game industry.  Roberts has set a new stretch goal...for $50,000,000, he will create and add alien languages to the game. That's just great. He'll make another seven million dollars and the game will be delayed another 2 years because he is writing gibberish. I think he needs to stop counting money, stop adding features and start making game.
Good for you! That told him! O0
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat