Steel Beasts Pro Discussion Thread

Started by Asid, July 16, 2014, 05:40:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asid

Quote from: Nefaro on July 18, 2014, 10:53:13 AM

The x64 is just an updated EXE?  Hrmm.. I may give it a shot.

As for the stutter, I should probably reboot my computer anyway.  It's been running for awhile.

The beta comprises 2 folders.
Folder 1 is called "Release" and contains an exe and 2 .dll files
Folder 2 is called "shaders" and contains a file called "viper_object.fxo"

To Install Beta.
1. Download the zip file from Here http://www.esimgames.com/updates/beta/SBProPE3_019.rar
2. Extract it to where you can find it. So you will have a folder called "SBProPE3_019" , which contains 2 folders "Release and Shaders).
3. Copy the contents of the "SBProPE3_019" folder into the root of the steel beasts directory. Overwrite the existing files.
4. Browse the "Release" folder and create a shortcut for the 64 bit exe "SBProPE64cm - Shortcut". Place on desktop if you wish.
5. Apply for beta license (easy). Apply by pressing the link Here http://www.esimgames.com/?page_id=1643. Fill in email and name.
6. You will receive a license immediately. Apply the license like you did before. Just click on the link and "activate".

Job done. Whenever you want to play beta then use the "SBProPE64cm - Shortcut" use your other shortcut if you want to play 3.011 latest release candidate.

There really is no reason why you shouldn't be using the beta.

Regards
War in Pieces

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Asid

Today Yskonyn entered the online world of Steel Beats. There were four of us. Smitty, Gopher, Yskonyn (aka Yassy) and Myself. This is just a brief overview.

The mission was a variation of this one

Brief

The Map

My weapon of choice

Yassy hit this Tunguska and knocked it out

Tea Break..After using lots of ammo and taking damage back for resupply and repair.

Friendly Fire...Heres the proof!

T80 Attacking our M2A2 in the objective zone

The result.. :(

We did achieve our objective though :)

The AAR file is attached and anyone with Steel Beasts can load it and go through a detailed overview....  :-[

Hope you enjoyed

Regards

War in Pieces

Skoop

Man I'm bummed I missed this, I love SB in MP but that darn RL keeps getting in the way.  I'll have to keep a heads up for the next one.

Asid

Quote from: Skoop on July 18, 2014, 03:17:16 PM
Man I'm bummed I missed this, I love SB in MP but that darn RL keeps getting in the way.  I'll have to keep a heads up for the next one.

We do this regularly and you are most welcome :)

Regards
War in Pieces

jomni

A day has passed.  Still no license upgrade from eSim.  :(

Asid

Quote from: jomni on July 18, 2014, 05:53:20 PM

pm sent
War in Pieces

jomni

Update:  I now got my license.
Just sent a support ticket and they replied quickly (even if it is a weekend).
They had a server glitch.

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on July 18, 2014, 05:53:20 PM

I got mine almost instantly.   ???

After I get acquainted with SBPro, I'll join you guys.  It may not be until next week or thereabouts until I put enough time in to be familiar.

Grim.Reaper

So to the SB experts....I prefer to try and control things from a commander's point of view versus micromanaging everything...however, have a question.  Is the AI gunner fully capable of smartly identifying the correct targets on their own and engaging with the right level of urgency?  Or do I have to micromanage instructions to ensure quality targets are being taken out efficiently?  I know the gunner will engage targets without me having to order but I just want to make sure they are realistically making the right choices, otherwise I might have to take a little more control.

Although I guess I likely wouldn't make any smarter choices with my limited tank commanding experience:)

James Sterrett

I too prefer being the commander to being the gunner, so I'm coming at your question from your perspective.  (And there are 3 levels of commander to worry about, too:  tank commander, platoon leader, and company(+) commander.)

The AI gunner quality depends on how you are playing.

In single player, the AI gunner uses your highest-ever gunnery score.  (A trick - learn to hit with TOWs in the Bradley (not very hard), then fire them at everything on the range.)

In multiplayer, all AI gunners have a score of 80.  This is pretty good, but not awesome; a practiced human gunner is more capable.  However, the 80-score AIs are no slouches either.  I've found they run the gamut from unbelievably awesome to incredibly stupid, sometimes in the same mission.  Sometimes the gunner can pick out targets through dense woods, engage them and kill them, and you can't even tell they are there.  Sometimes the gunner can't figure out that the target is there because there's a single tree trunk in the way, and you need to drop in and launch the round yourself.  Usually the gunner will pick out targets faster than you can, but sometimes you can't get the gunner to recognize a target that's staring you in the face.
     ....  and there's no guarantee a human gunner is going to be any better!

It's useful to go through all the gunnery tutorials and spend some time on the range even if you only want to be the commander, because it means you'll understand the system - and key things such as the gunner's viewpoint being a bit lower than yours, the gunner's soda-straw field of view, etc.

Edit to add:  When I have my students learn Steel Beasts (and then play it multiplayer in class as platoon commanders), I tell them to learn the tank commander job - and to leave the gunner alone.  Those that follow this advice generally do OK.  Those that interfere with their gunner generally die.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: James Sterrett on July 19, 2014, 09:26:09 AM
I too prefer being the commander to being the gunner, so I'm coming at your question from your perspective.  (And there are 3 levels of commander to worry about, too:  tank commander, platoon leader, and company(+) commander.)

The AI gunner quality depends on how you are playing.

In single player, the AI gunner uses your highest-ever gunnery score.  (A trick - learn to hit with TOWs in the Bradley (not very hard), then fire them at everything on the range.)

In multiplayer, all AI gunners have a score of 80.  This is pretty good, but not awesome; a practiced human gunner is more capable.  However, the 80-score AIs are no slouches either.  I've found they run the gamut from unbelievably awesome to incredibly stupid, sometimes in the same mission.  Sometimes the gunner can pick out targets through dense woods, engage them and kill them, and you can't even tell they are there.  Sometimes the gunner can't figure out that the target is there because there's a single tree trunk in the way, and you need to drop in and launch the round yourself.  Usually the gunner will pick out targets faster than you can, but sometimes you can't get the gunner to recognize a target that's staring you in the face.
     ....  and there's no guarantee a human gunner is going to be any better!

It's useful to go through all the gunnery tutorials and spend some time on the range even if you only want to be the commander, because it means you'll understand the system - and key things such as the gunner's viewpoint being a bit lower than yours, the gunner's soda-straw field of view, etc.

Edit to add:  When I have my students learn Steel Beasts (and then play it multiplayer in class as platoon commanders), I tell them to learn the tank commander job - and to leave the gunner alone.  Those that follow this advice generally do OK.  Those that interfere with their gunner generally die.

That's interesting that your AI gunnery is tied to your own score on the gunnery range...just curious, is there any way to manually set this in a config file or something?  I am not that great at shooting things and that plays a part as to why I am staying as commander:)

Does that score only identify how well the AI hits a target or does it account for how smart they are engaging the enemy?  For example, if there are five targets within range, does the AI do a good job in selecting the highest risk?  Is that based on score too?

Thanks!

Asid

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 19, 2014, 09:35:13 AM

That's interesting that your AI gunnery is tied to your own score on the gunnery range...just curious, is there any way to manually set this in a config file or something?  I am not that great at shooting things and that plays a part as to why I am staying as commander:)

Thanks!

You can not manually change it.

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 19, 2014, 09:35:13 AM

Does that score only identify how well the AI hits a target or does it account for how smart they are engaging the enemy?  For example, if there are five targets within range, does the AI do a good job in selecting the highest risk?  Is that based on score too?

Thanks!

Your gunnery score does not reflect how the risk is assessed.

Your score on the range is used like this:

For offline: It affects the friendly AI

For Online: All AI have the same score of 75%. This includes enemy and friendly (though sometimes you wouldn't think it ;) )

However something to remember. When you take control of the gunners position on and off line the only thing that matters is how you perform at that moment. Your previous gunnery score is not used.

Hope this helps.

Regards

War in Pieces

Grim.Reaper

Thanks for the reply, couple more questions.

1)  For the gunnery score, is it tied to a specific vehicle?  Meaning is it a global score used or only the score of the vehicle you are actually playing in the scenario?

2)  Any tips on gunnery?  I have played a number of the gunnery tutorials, but when I go to the range, it seems different and I just suck at it, especially the moving targets.  It seems the vast majority of my shots are ending up way short.  I think I am lasing correctly to get range (at least according to the tutorial), but when I fire, my shots end up hopelessly short for some reason.  In the tutorial itself, I didn't see this same issue.

Asid

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 19, 2014, 10:56:10 AM
Thanks for the reply, couple more questions.

1)  For the gunnery score, is it tied to a specific vehicle?  Meaning is it a global score used or only the score of the vehicle you are actually playing in the scenario?

It is a Global Score

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 19, 2014, 10:56:10 AM

2)  Any tips on gunnery?  I have played a number of the gunnery tutorials, but when I go to the range, it seems different and I just suck at it, especially the moving targets.  It seems the vast majority of my shots are ending up way short.  I think I am lasing correctly to get range (at least according to the tutorial), but when I fire, my shots end up hopelessly short for some reason.  In the tutorial itself, I didn't see this same issue.

practice, practice and practice.

Lase and Lead are crucial. You may need to "dump" (middle mouse button or P key) the lead after the shot. Start with the Leo2A5 that is easier to get to grips with. If you get a low score try again. If a vehicle is hit do not fire again at it as this affects hit ratio.

Regards
War in Pieces

Grim.Reaper

Switched to a vehicle with TOW, still not very good, got a 70% :)  But I think I can get better with this one.