Dick Clark dies at 82

Started by TheCommandTent, April 18, 2012, 04:40:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCommandTent

QuoteDick Clark, the creator of "American Bandstand" and "Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve," died Wednesday morning.

He was 82.

Clark suffered a massive heart attack after entering St. John's Hospital in Santa Monica on Tuesday night for an outpatient procedure, his family said in a statement.

Attempts to resuscitate him were unsuccessful.

Clark had suffered a stroke in 2004, which forced him to significantly curtail his hosting of "New Years' Rockin' Eve," a show he created in 1972

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/04/18/report-dick-clark-dies-at-age-82/#ixzz1sQklY4nM

I am not one for getting worked up over celebrities but I do have some fond memories of New Years Eve with my family and friends with Dick Clark on TV in the background.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Centurion40

If they bury him in Alaska, it will explain the zombie hotbed map.
Any time is a good time for pie.

MIGMaster

First time I saw Def Leppard they were on American Bandstand with DC !

Gusington

I can't believe he was only 82. I thought he was in his 90s. RIP :(

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Capn Darwin

New Years Eve won't be the same this year.  :'( RIP
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

Bison

I spent a lot of New Year's Eves watching Dick Clark.  He always seems like a pretty decent fellow.  R.I.P.

Martok

He will be missed (including by me).  RIP. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

LongBlade

Dick Clark was certainly an icon in the music industry when I was growing up - something similar to Ryan Seacrest today I'd guess.

But it was only after the obits came out that I came to understand how influential he was in helping America to become racially integrated. He did a number of things at some professional risk and for the right reasons. After hearing that my respect for him went up considerably.

RIP
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

MIGMaster

+1 It was something I hadn'yt even cosnidered up til I read your post !

LongBlade

Quote from: MIGMaster on April 27, 2012, 09:27:20 AM
+1 It was something I hadn'yt even cosnidered up til I read your post !

Yeah, they discussed how he was (I think) the first TV host to integrate dancing on TV. They also spent some time discussing the effect of unifying the country through music - everyone could appreciate the sounds of Motown and it quickly became accepted all over the country. Interesting that I'd never even heard of it until his death.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Centurion40

Any time is a good time for pie.