The Uber Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon Thread!

Started by Lord Zimoa, November 06, 2014, 11:28:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

Quote from: jomni on November 07, 2014, 03:21:31 AM
Such negativity in this thread.

i think there was a lot of hope it would conjur up the lore and the universe and its not going to with that backdrop and those units

months ago on the first headline drop i couldnt wait, since then my expectations have gone down and down

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on November 07, 2014, 08:05:44 AM
Quote from: jomni on November 07, 2014, 03:21:31 AM
Such negativity in this thread.

i think there was a lot of hope it would conjur up the lore and the universe and its not going to with that backdrop and those units

months ago on the first headline drop i couldnt wait, since then my expectations have gone down and down

+1. This WAS my most anticipated game of e year. Now, I'm contemplating whether I will even buy it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

LongBlade

In fairness, so far all we have to judge this by is a few screenshots.

Visuals.

Let's see how the gameplay goes.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Jarhead0331

Sure, but what is it they say about a picture? It's worth 1,000 words.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

I'm with LongBlade. I mean, sure, granted, a Chaos Gate remake (or that other game from SSI at about the same time -- which didn't at least one of those use a variant of the 5-star engine?? Which is what Panzer Corps effectively also is as a blatantly direct remake/expansion of Panzer General??) with X-Com blinginess would be nice. But the property lends itself to lots of different interpretation possibilities.

I like Panzer Generalish games. I like WH40K. I'm willing to consider it, despite the necessarily abstracted graphics.

(Heck, I routinely praise the Fantasy Wars / Elven Legacy games, which are a direct port of upgraded 5-star engine originally meant to be a direct remake of "Fantasy General", and those games are almost Warhammer fantasy IP already. Not many practical steps from that to WH40K Panzer General.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Pinetree

The main problem with me is that the screen shots make the game look like more like a mod than a full release.  And they lack atmosphere. 
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

LongBlade

Quote from: Pinetree on November 07, 2014, 01:06:17 PM
The main problem with me is that the screen shots make the game look like more like a mod than a full release.  And they lack atmosphere.

I agree.

I guess what I meant to say was: as wargamers, we can overlook graphics if the gameplay is good.

That said, iffy graphics do not guarantee good gameplay.

My guess - and it's only a guess - is that for guys like Martok who never played Panzer Corps, they'll find the gameplay fine.

For those of us who are used to seeing panzers and Messerschmidts streaking across the map with this engine, the experience may be less satisfying.

But, let's not get ahead of ourselves. No one (here) has played the game yet. (How Slitherine failed to get preview code to Grogheads is a different question)

Let's see what gets delivered to us in a couple more weeks.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

TacticalWargames

Maybe they have used wrong game world and  or people are just abit bored either way it may be they have taken the cash cow thats Panzer Corps a step to far.

I reckon we don't need to see how it plays as we all know how PC and PG play and I doubt it's changed that much it feels like a whole new game.

As I've said many times, Battle Academy was a more suited game engine.

I agree about the scale issues with the graphics, just doesn't look right, also the Generic number each unit is supposed to represent seems flawed. Does 5 mean there are supposed to be five of that type for instance and if so I wonder if those sorts of units went into battle in groups of 5 and even if there where 5 of them on the battlefield in the first place. This is where the PC engine loses its appeal for me..way to generic in what a unit represents.

Cyrano

Mmmm...licked by snakes...

Zzzzz...

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
8/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

panzerde

Quote from: Bison on November 06, 2014, 11:50:55 PM
Quote from: Cyrano on November 06, 2014, 11:47:36 PM
I feel like Cassandra on this one.

You got licked by snakes in a temple while sleeping and now have the power of prophesy?

How do you think he paid for college?
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

panzerde

I'm still hoping, but I've not been optimistic from the start about trying to do 40K using the PC engine. But then, I hate the PC engine, so there's pretty much no way I'm going to be a fan of this.

Staggerwing

Quote from: MikeGER on November 07, 2014, 02:47:49 AM
dropje voor dropje

Dropje = small piece of licorice (usually salted)

Druppeltje = small drop of liquid

;)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JasonPratt

Quote from: panzerde on November 08, 2014, 01:03:37 PM
I'm still hoping, but I've not been optimistic from the start about trying to do 40K using the PC engine. But then, I hate the PC engine, so there's pretty much no way I'm going to be a fan of this.

Well, yes, duh.  ::)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

panzerde

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 09, 2014, 11:16:16 AM
Quote from: panzerde on November 08, 2014, 01:03:37 PM

Well, yes, duh.  ::)

Get bent.

Gusington

Is this thread going to turn into a TW-ish thread like those of olde?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd