Is anyone else puzzled by Pdox's half-hearted 'rollout' of Hearts of Iron IV?

Started by sandman2575, February 05, 2015, 12:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Quote from: Greybriar on February 05, 2015, 01:19:09 PM
I will most likely buy Hearts of Iron IV. But due to Paradox's infatuation with DLC, I won't be buying HoI4 until after it has been out for awhile and a compilation pack goes on sale with the base game and all its DLC for at least 50% off.

This is going to be my strategy for getting this game as well.  If I even think it's worth getting after seeing all the 'Let's play' videos on the game once it's released. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Martok

Quote from: Ian C on February 06, 2015, 09:22:31 AM
I think it's reasonable to assume they are underplaying the hype, erring on the side of caution because of what happened with Hearts of Iron III last time. The HOI 3 release was a disaster.
On release the game was literally unplayable for a majority and those who could play found it full of serious graphical and mechanical bugs. The general response was overwhelming disappointment and the forum backlash was pretty bad. Paradox staff even received death threats.

We've already seen the game's release postponed from this quarter so I'm betting that it's low-key for this reason. They want to avoid another crapstorm and, as we know, this game's fan base generally is pretty fanatical so they are deliberately under-hyping it. A prudent strategy IMO.
This was my thinking as well.  Given the disappointment with HoI3's initial release, it only makes sense Paradox would want to be careful to avoid over-hype this time around. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Philippe

I picked up HOI3 a year or so ago during a Gamersgate sale. 

Is it worth the trouble of installing it ?

(I wasn't planning on getting around to looking at it until the leaves fall).
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

sandman2575

If you got all the expansions included (Semper Fi etc.) then definitely Yes.  HoI3 turned into a very good game after its difficult birth. The best in the series, in my opinion.

I still don't agree that Pdox should be 'soft pedaling' expectations for HoI4.  If they stand behind it with the same confidence they have in CKII and EUIV, they should be aggressively promoting it. The fact that they're not suggests to me that they have some doubts about how it's turning out...

bobarossa

Quote from: Philippe on February 14, 2015, 05:06:18 PM
I picked up HOI3 a year or so ago during a Gamersgate sale. 

Is it worth the trouble of installing it ?

(I wasn't planning on getting around to looking at it until the leaves fall).
You also may want to install the Total Realism Project mod. 

Boggit

Quote from: Greybriar on February 05, 2015, 01:19:09 PM
I will most likely buy Hearts of Iron IV. But due to Paradox's infatuation with DLC, I won't be buying HoI4 until after it has been out for awhile and a compilation pack goes on sale with the base game and all its DLC for at least 50% off.
I tend to agree. I use Gamersgate Blue coins to buy new DLC, unless it's in a sale, or Steam sale. As a gamer I'm not a fan of dlc as a concept, as I prefer having a "full" game, although I see why companies do it, and it's part of the gaming landscape now.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

Quote from: sandman2575 on February 14, 2015, 05:12:49 PM
If you got all the expansions included (Semper Fi etc.) then definitely Yes.  HoI3 turned into a very good game after its difficult birth. The best in the series, in my opinion.

I still don't agree that Pdox should be 'soft pedaling' expectations for HoI4.  If they stand behind it with the same confidence they have in CKII and EUIV, they should be aggressively promoting it. The fact that they're not suggests to me that they have some doubts about how it's turning out...
I'm kind of surprised too. Last summer (August IIRC) they were pushing it to the press at the 2014 Koln Games convention...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5HM0M8j310 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxGNpPz_W2A

It's a pity as it looks quite a good game, and although I like HOI2 (and am still "adjusting to" HOI3 (read learning curve)) it seems a very "new" take on the franchise, which is good.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Nefaro

Quote from: sandman2575 on February 14, 2015, 05:12:49 PM
The fact that they're not suggests to me that they have some doubts about how it's turning out...

It has been one of their most troubled series IMO.  Maybe there have been some extra delays and they're waiting until closer to release before running the hype?

Huw the Poo

To be fair, they are showing plenty to those who are seeking it, and they've concentrated it all in their own forum where it can be easily found.  As for outside marketing, the game isn't likely to ship until June so maybe it is a bit early for a niche game?

fabius

Quote from: Huw the Poo on February 15, 2015, 04:23:03 PM
To be fair, they are showing plenty to those who are seeking it, and they've concentrated it all in their own forum where it can be easily found.  As for outside marketing, the game isn't likely to ship until June so maybe it is a bit early for a niche game?

The other thing to be fair is that they have delayed to get it right, both mechanic/gameplay and quality. That's the right thing to do. At Friday's livestream a dev said it's a flagship game so they'd delay further if needed. Fare better to release polished game than broken.

sandman2575

I'm all for getting the game right for opening day, believe me. But it's been a long time since the bad ol' days of the HoI3 launch.  In the meantime, Pdox has had tremendous successes with launches of both CKII and EU4, and seems to me those are the benchmarks that Pdox knows they'll have to live up to with HoI4. 

In short, I don't think there's any real danger HoI4's launch will be a repeat of the HoI3 debacle.  But I don't see that setting a high standard for the game at release is in any way at odds with trying to generate a big head of steam in advance of the launch, in terms of audience interest and excitement.  There's just no question in my mind that Pdox is being a lot more wary and cagey with the run up to HoI4 than they were with CKII or EU4.  If they're trying to send a 'don't get your hopes up too much' message, I think they're succeeding, and I think it's the completely wrong approach.

Again, the game was announced to much fanfare in January 2014. Seems to me we're in now in the time-frame window of 'anticipating release' -- it's only (presumably) 4-5 months away, which in the long gestation of the game (over a year now since announced) is not a long time.  Pdox has generated nothing like the buzz for HoI4 that they created for CKII and EUIV or their expansions at this stage in the game.

Nefaro

Angry Joe recently interviewed a couple Paradox guys. 

There is some discussion of hesitant pre-release hype and other interesting things in there.

Greybriar

Thanks for the link to that video, Nefaro.  O0

I had never seen Angry Joe interviewing anyone before.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

bboyer66

When the AI does something resembling a D Day invasion, or the Pacific shows some actual resemblance to WW II, someone call me.

The Angry Joe video is excellent. He asks some tough questions of the developers. Not the typical softballs.

Nefaro

Quote from: bboyer66 on February 18, 2015, 10:28:17 PM
When the AI does something resembling a D Day invasion, or the Pacific shows some actual resemblance to WW II, someone call me.

That's part of how I've always viewed the HOI series.  Rather problematic with the naval aspects, for one.

The Angry Joe video is excellent. He asks some tough questions of the developers. Not the typical softballs.

Yeah, he was pretty straight with them.  I would've been surprised if he had done the typical cheese interview, glad I wasn't.   O0   To their credit, the Paradox guys didn't mind answering them either.  I definitely have a lot more respect for them since they've improved their release day quality since CK2, and implemented the modular system with their add-ons so there isn't a bunch of confusion or incompatibility between people with different expansions.  Other developers could learn something from them.

I'm hoping they'll create an EU Rome 2 that has much more character and internal gov't depth than the original.  Something with CK2's character system & interactions but with the extra internal gov't struggles.  The original's expansion didn't fill that out anywhere near as much as it should have, leaving it slow and dullish much of the time.  Starting with the CK2 engine and working that direction could have some great results.  Vicky 3 would be nice too, if of the same quality as the recent series but I don't expect to see that for a bit either.