Falklands Ramp-up ?

Started by MIGMaster, April 27, 2012, 09:55:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIGMaster

Barthheart

Really? Can Argentina afford another bloody nose? Why are they poking the bee hive?

mirth

Quote from: Barthheart on April 27, 2012, 10:03:26 AM
Really? Can Argentina afford another bloody nose? Why are they poking the bee hive?

Same reason as '82  as an answer for their own domestic political problems. Cristina Fernandez seems like something of a loose cannon in the Chavez mold. They just nationalized the largest oil company in Argentina out from under Spain.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

^I saw that story about Spain yesterday. Does Spain have any force projection capability at all? My guess is no.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Spain has a couple of baby carriers that can carry Harriers (don't know if they do these days). I think they have some decent, modern frigates as well as a couple of amphibious landing ships. They may able to better project force right now than the Brits. Not that I think for a second that they will over the oil company. They'll handle that in the international courts. Argentina is likely to get hit with major fines and sanctions.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Gusington

It would be awesome if, out of nowhere, Spain just went bat shit and took over the Falklands.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Barthheart

Quote from: Gusington on April 27, 2012, 11:14:58 AM
It would be awesome if, out of nowhere, Spain just went bat shit and took over the Falklands.

Better yet Argentina!

Gusington

First the Falklands, then Argentina and slowly and steadily the rest of their old empire in the New World. Spain on the Warpath.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Lol! I wonder if Herman Hum has created Harpoon scenarios for that!

mirth

This is the Spanish version of an Aegis ship. Nice looking design

Gusington

^Hmm then I guess I shouldn't be so quick to laugh then. Would have been slightly more realistic under Franco, though. Still...Spain seems to have a respectable naval and force projection capability. I can't believe how the Brits' capability has been gutted...wonder what their plans are if things really go south again...

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

Send in the Chavs on a bucket holiday?  They've pretty much rendered the coasts of Spain and Greece as uninhabitable.

bob48

.....ask the French if we can borrow an aircraft carrier and India if they have a couple of Harriers to spare....

There are 4 Typhoons based there, and land forces, and you would expect that subs are the main defence against shipping. Other than that, who knows. Its really difficult to see what sort of response would be made if it all goes tits-up.

Very worrying  :(
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

mirth

Thing is that the Argentine military has detoriated even more than the Brits in the last 30 years.  A destroyer, 4 Typhoons and a sub might well be enough to hold the Falklands.

bob48

^ A we have observed before, lets hope it does not come to that, the thought of more bloodshed there is horrfic.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!