$%#%#$ Keeps pilling up....

Started by PanzersEast, March 04, 2015, 01:04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PanzersEast

Well, I took a long hiatus from computer gaming and started looking back around to see a lot of stuff that has and is coming out that I should pile on the stuff I already have... and funny to see more DLC from Paradox..... anyway, anything that is a must have as of late?

PE

Sir Slash

Attila, Attila, and then there's Attila. My 2 cents.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Nefaro

Darkest Dungeon and TW Attila have been my most-played recent acquisitions.

jomni

I haven't bought Attila yet.  Rome 2 just din't really suck me in.

Nefaro

I dunno.. despite putting a number of hours into each of those I mentioned, I've been pulled back into War Thunder's air forces and spent more time there lately than with anything else. 

So maybe I should recommend just digging up something you already have.  :D

undercovergeek

Buried in airland battle at moment

jomni

Actually CM Black Sea is one of my favourite recent purchases.

MengJiao

Quote from: PanzersEast on March 04, 2015, 01:04:55 PM
Well, I took a long hiatus from computer gaming and started looking back around to see a lot of stuff that has and is coming out that I should pile on the stuff I already have... and funny to see more DLC from Paradox..... anyway, anything that is a must have as of late?

PE

This is sort of off topic, but if you think the big piles of recent computer games that look good is daunting, just imagine what I faced when I got back into board gaming after a 20-year break.  Yes, I bought some very old games and I have to say as a rule the more recent board games are a lot better than say a 30-year-old Bismarck or a 20-year-old Norway 1940.

Sir Slash

I was sick over the weekend with the Flu and in a fit of feverish inspiration, I got a yearning to go back and play M2TW especially with the later era gunpowder units. But when I popped in the disk, I just couldn't bring myself to spend such precious time playing what's now such an old-looking game. I loved it back in the day and still do but it just seems too "way back" for me to get back into now. I can't bring myself to delete it from the hard drive-- not just yet anyway. Bit I know I'll probably never play it again. I've beaten the campaign twice as Spain and HRE. None of the other factions seem different enough to make it feel new again. I feel like I've lost a close friend.  :'(
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

sandman2575

Quote from: jomni on March 05, 2015, 06:36:15 AM
Actually CM Black Sea is one of my favourite recent purchases.

+1 

Highly recommended...

Nefaro

Quote from: MengJiao on March 05, 2015, 09:31:52 AM

PE

This is sort of off topic, but if you think the big piles of recent computer games that look good is daunting, just imagine what I faced when I got back into board gaming after a 20-year break.  Yes, I bought some very old games and I have to say as a rule the more recent board games are a lot better than say a 30-year-old Bismarck or a 20-year-old Norway 1940.

Yeah, I think my tabletop purchasing spree has finally slowed after a couple years.  It's reached my PC gaming level of wanting everything that looks somewhat interesting but owning plenty yet to be played put the brakes on picking up most new ones that qualify.

MengJiao

Quote from: Nefaro on March 05, 2015, 11:53:16 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on March 05, 2015, 09:31:52 AM

PE

Yeah, I think my tabletop purchasing spree has finally slowed after a couple years.  It's reached my PC gaming level of wanting everything that looks somewhat interesting but owning plenty yet to be played put the brakes on picking up most new ones that qualify.

Same here.  With PC games -- I've always wanted to buy them all so I'm used to resisting by inventing rules like "Only one Air sim at a time" or "No more Far cry!"...but with board games -- I hadn't bought very many in a long time so there was a relatively uncontrolled purchasing of a mass of games I'm never going to play (eg Normany at the Battalion level).  But now I'm inventing rules such as no OCS games with more than 2 maps!  (I think this allows a Blitzkrieg legend in theory).

PanzersEast

Problem I find with boardgames is you get that feeling "if it goes out of print....".  I have enough board games to last me for a good while, and even though I still have some left on my wishlist, I am just going to wait for now.  I decided to take a break from the PC world and maybe come back with a fresh approach to jumping back in with either some of the stuff I have or looking for some new stuff..... there has been quit a bit released and some good suggestions I am looking into.  Good stuff all around  O0

PE

MengJiao

Quote from: PanzersEast on March 05, 2015, 02:06:46 PM
Problem I find with boardgames is you get that feeling "if it goes out of print....".  I have enough board games to last me for a good while, and even though I still have some left on my wishlist, I am just going to wait for now.  I decided to take a break from the PC world and maybe come back with a fresh approach to jumping back in with either some of the stuff I have or looking for some new stuff..... there has been quit a bit released and some good suggestions I am looking into.  Good stuff all around  O0

PE

Everything goes out of print sooner or later.  I've enjoyed rigging up scenarios from mixed periods of out-of-print games (eg the Cimissos river battle from the wars between Carthage and Syracuse where I used rules from 2014{Hoplite} with counters from 2003 and 1995 and a map from 1995).  The fact that boardgames are more open to mixing and matching components than PC games is one of their odd charms and
you can always invent or modify the rules pretty easily.
  My aesthetic responses to computer games are somewhat different - I like to have the latest mods and so on and once a PC game is dated, I'm happy to move on.
  It would be nice if I had some rigorous interests along the lines of I only play space games or submarine games, but the irrationality of what I end up buying (or digging up from old steam stuff or out of the boardgame storage boxes) and playing is (alas!) part of the fun.
  On the other hand, I'm always happy to exclude games on totally irrational grounds.  And its a good thing, too.