Dazzle Paint Foils Face Recognition

Started by LongBlade, April 30, 2012, 08:49:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Interesting article today on CNN where an article gives advice to foil facial recognition.

Essentially it comes back to using dazzle paint techniques.

Almost reminds me of the dystopian descriptions of makeup in the WH40k books.

QuoteI don't want to be unrealistic about it. It's a pretty conceptual project but it seems to touch on a subject that people are still trying to figure out, which is how to adapt to living in surveillance societies, where not only are you being watched by government surveillance but by citizen surveillance and social-media-type surveillance.

This does raise an interesting question - in society today where there is a camera on every street corner and in every hand, at what point are we going to say there is no privacy? Or will we attempt to take our privacy back?

Full article (with pics): http://whatsnext.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/29/how-to-hide-from-face-detection-technology/?hpt=hp_c3
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

TheCommandTent

Interesting article.  You can't do anything any more without the threat of someone recording it for posterity.  Although it seems like alot of work to hide your face.  Plus it would still draw attention, wouldn't a ski mask work just as well  ::)
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

Quote from: TheCommandTent on April 30, 2012, 07:17:01 PM
Interesting article.  You can't do anything any more without the threat of someone recording it for posterity.  Although it seems like alot of work to hide your face.  Plus it would still draw attention, wouldn't a ski mask work just as well  ::)

It also entirely overlooks the fact that - if someone so wishes - they can track the location of your cell phone. So a ski mask wouldn't necessarily help.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

W8taminute

Very interesting and thanks for sharing LB.  I wonder if those glitter sprays would work?  I hate the fact that I can't commit acts of road rage anymore because every tom dick and harry has a videophone in their pocket.  (just kidding of course but you get the idea)

You can't do anything in public these days without being caught on film somewhere.  I really hate that.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Barthheart

Quote from: W8taminute on May 02, 2012, 09:20:17 AM
You can't do anything in public these days without being caught on film somewhere.  I really hate that.

Thinking about this.... Orwell was right Big Brohter is always watching.... he's just made up of all the little "Brothers" out there.... :P

0kult13

I recall talking about this on a anonymous forum but it was called blaze and was discussed wearing it under masks at protests, to if the police/army whoever made you remove your mask you were still good. Blaze seems to have had its beginnings with battleship camo and worked quite effectively. Also led lights in headgear messes up cctv apparently.

Marty Ward

So I use glitter makeup to look like Bowie from the 70's and that is not suppose to draw attention to me? Maybe if I lived in Toon Town it would work! :)
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

Silent Disapproval Robot