Grand Ages Medieval

Started by AchillesLastStand, July 15, 2015, 12:40:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AchillesLastStand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD2AoiQX8mo

Grand Ages Medieval releases in September. From reading about it, it is more of a city/empire builder and although the series is usually lite when it comes to combat it does seem interesting.
What say you?

Guess I need a lesson in embedding YT videos....Oops. :2funny:

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JasonPratt

Combine threads? The other one is almost a year old...  :-\ (In fact, I was the last person to comment in it, and I had forgotten it even existed!)

I think a new thread is warranted for the new promo video and release date announcement.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

undercovergeek

It was more of a nod toward - 'if its got medieval, city builder, war, and swords' it's likely someone knew already

Martok

This does look good, although I'm somewhat worried about it being in real-time.  Hopefully it moves at a speed akin to Distant Worlds or Paradox games. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

DennisS

Videos are up..Quill18 has six of them, representing about three hours of gameplay.

A little reminiscent of Rise of Venice..but better in many ways. In RoV, you were limited to the sixty cities, all in the same place. Not a lot of replayability.

In this game, you produce settler units, and you can build new cities where you want. This enables you to have the five resources types YOU want, to fit your developing kingdom. This alone will make it a must buy. Call it Civ meets Rise of Venice...a nice builder, coupled with a nice trading sim.

Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0oStXVIBUU

Rayfer

Perused through the vids....an interesting looking game. One to watch.

Gusington

Even without watching the video this is evolving into a day one purchase :)

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

Quote from: Gusington on August 31, 2015, 09:17:28 AM
Even without watching the video this is evolving into a day one purchase :)

+1

Gusington

I really like Dennis' description of it as Rise of Venice meets Civ. I've wanted a game like that forever.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

glen55

I never played Rise of Venice, but isn't it just another one of the Patrician-type games from the same publisher?  Is there something that significantly distinguishes it from that series?
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Rayfer

Quote from: glen55 on August 31, 2015, 12:25:56 PM
I never played Rise of Venice, but isn't it just another one of the Patrician-type games from the same publisher?  Is there something that significantly distinguishes it from that series?

From watching the videos they made clear this is a land-based trading game, not sea. That would be one big difference.

Gusington

Looks like there will be more city building management also.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

DennisS

The biggest difference between Rise of Venice and this title are the cities.

In RoV, there are 40 or so cities that are static. The five items they produce vary from game to game, but the cities themselves remain in their original locations, with no ability to set up new cities. Although this is an excellent game, this does tend to limit the replayability.

In Grand Ages Medieval, the game world is vastly larger, with 14 large "provinces", each capable of 10-20 cities, depending on their size. The beauty of this is that you can settle new cities. There is an interesting mechanic, similar to Civ, where you can see what resources are available when you settle a given area. You need food? Then settle an area with grain, or fish. Need metals and ores? Head for the hills, and settle there.

The trading and resource generation are much streamlined from RoV. Caravans are easy to set up, for trade, and are easily automated as well. The tech tree has about 40 areas, each of which can enhance gameplay in some fashion, either by production bonuses, or unlocks.

I am very excited for this title. This hits the sweet spot for me. Very large gamemaps, very real choices on when and how you settle,  and 20 separate resources.

One other thing...each city has their five resources, but you can select any of a dozen or so other businesses to set up. Essentially, you can funnel base materials to another city to consolidate and produce finished products. This just wasn't possible in RoV, where you were at the mercy of the RNG.

Out September 25th.