Grand Ages Medieval

Started by AchillesLastStand, July 15, 2015, 12:40:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

This game looks like it's going to be a good one.  Definitely on my to watch list.

Sir Slash

The battles kind of look like cats fighting. I hope they can do better.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Bison on August 31, 2015, 08:34:55 PM
This game looks like it's going to be a good one.  Definitely on my to watch list.

Me too. It looks like a cross between Patrician and an old Eidos game called Trade Empires. I'm very excited for this!
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

JasonPratt

Quote from: Sir Slash on August 31, 2015, 09:55:58 PM
The battles kind of look like cats fighting. I hope they can do better.

Sadly a trait of both the Grand Ages and Patrician series until now. But also a trait of Sid Meir's Pirates, which the Patrician games were loosely remaking (and not so loosely remaking with their Port Royale series).

I think the question was asked upthread what the salient difference is between Rise of Venice and, say, Patrician 4, seeing as how both are from the same publisher and seem to cover the same topic except in South Europe rather than North Europe.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

I could learn to love it or ignore it if the rest of the game works well.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

DennisS

Well, I had a couple of birthday steam cards, and went ahead and pulled the trigger on this one, at 15% off. This gets a couple of DLC's as well.

Not a big fan of first day DLCs but I am 100% sure that this was a must buy for me in any event. I thoroughly enjoyed Port Royale 2, Patrician 3, and many other economic sims...and this one is all that, and more. The idea of settling specific areas, that provide specific resources is very Civ-like..and the combination of Civ-like settling, a decent economic sim, a decent tech tree, some nice combat AND a 4x overlay is just irresistable. I am estimating about 150 cities can be built on the large'ish European game map, each with its own, unique building and resource capabilities.

Unlocks in a couple of weeks...can't wait!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

DennisS

Three of them..."Camelot", "Ancient Wonders", and a soundtrack.

No clue what the two game play ones are all about...but at 15% off first day price, the DLCs really weren't a factor.

Anguille

I also preordered...

The DLCs are small....one is a special castle for your starting city and the second are special wonders you can find on the map...and the soundrack. The best is the discount.  ;D

Gusington

Just watched all the game's videos...growing tempted.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

im currently sat like a praying mantis between nobunga, metal gear and this - waiting, waiting for my resolve to fold on one

Gusington

^Just watched the videos for Nobunaga too...added to wish list :)

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: undercovergeek on September 07, 2015, 03:21:51 PM
im currently sat like a praying mantis between nobunga, metal gear and this - waiting, waiting for my resolve to fold on one

I have been weak of late...own all those and likely will pre order this one soon:(  Very expensive month for me so far...

Greybriar

Amazon is charging $39.99 for pre-ordering the retail boxed version of Grand Ages Medieval which includes the two DLCs Camelot & Ancient Wonders, and a Tech Tree Poster. The release date on Amazon is 29 September 2015.

Steam is charging $33.99 for pre-ordering Grand Ages Medieval which includes the two DLCs Camelot & Ancient Wonders, and  the Digital Soundtrack. The release date on Steam is 25 September 2015.

I've read that a Kalypso account is required on the Steam version and assume it is also required on the retail boxed version of the game. Is that correct? Also, is there any other form of DRM?

Seeing that it is also available for the PS4 I wonder how well the mouse and keyboard will function on the PC version of the game.

I want so much to jump on the bandwagon and pre-order Grand Ages Medieval but I am concerned about the issues mentioned above.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.