Main Menu

Stellaris

Started by RedArgo, October 01, 2015, 01:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

Are trade routes available to all faction types? Do you see the ships getting intercepted like in sins or is it a soft mechanic? What penalties are their for over expanding!
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Sparhawk

The trade system is a new core mechanic of the game so I assume is common to all factions. You build trade hubs at space stations which then send their energy credits to your trade capital. Piracy on the trade routes is a soft mechanic  that reduces trade percentage. At some point real pirate fleets start spawning if trade routes are untended. There is a new mechanic called "Administrative Cap". There is a base amount and you gain more through species traits and research. Every time you claim a system, build a district, or colonize a planet you progress toward this cap which is measured in points. Penalties scale as you pass the cap. My first go at this I managed to reach 20% penalties in research, building, and hiring costs. The most dramatic change in game play for me has been to pace my system expansion to increases in admin cap.

Destraex

Thanks hawk. The most dramatic change for me has been with the consumer goods and alloys management. Lose a fleet now and it is not just time but resources shortages you are facing to build another.

Jarhead0331

Really looking forward to the next patch which is adding some really nice features...3.8 Gemini

1. New Army Builder - easier to build and gather Assault Armies for an upcoming war
2. Major updates to orbital bombardment and ground combat mechanics - Orbital bombardment can force surrender, is much more destructive and scales depending on number of ships in fleet. Collateral damage from ground combat is also based on type and composition of invading armies
3. Updated science ship automation
4. Capital world designations - Forge Capital, Factory Capital, Trade Capital and Capital Extraction World
5. Fleet manager - mainly a reorganisation of the UI and fixed some annoying bugs
6. Sector editor! - This was removed  in an old update and has finally returned. New tool which allows the player to freely move systems between adjacent sectors as long as they are in range of the Sector Capitals

There is a bunch more to be revealed next week, but so far, this patch looks really great and will probably bring me back to this game.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Destraex

I want a tick box for the old different civs warp technologies. Did not really get to experience the game when that was a thing.

glen55

I have played a bazillion hours of Stellaris and I still don't know how armies and ground war works.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

solops

Quote from: Destraex on April 25, 2023, 08:43:38 AMI want a tick box for the old different civs warp technologies. Did not really get to experience the game when that was a thing.

Yes! It was a pretty good game. Since it went to starlanes only, I just have no interest in it. There are too many other good starlane type games out there. The original, multiple drive type game was cool.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Jarhead0331

Quote from: solops on April 25, 2023, 02:56:10 PM
Quote from: Destraex on April 25, 2023, 08:43:38 AMI want a tick box for the old different civs warp technologies. Did not really get to experience the game when that was a thing.

Yes! It was a pretty good game. Since it went to starlanes only, I just have no interest in it. There are too many other good starlane type games out there. The original, multiple drive type game was cool.

There is so much more to this game than just starlanes. By avoiding the game over that singular issue, you're sort of throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Like you said though, there are plenty of other games out there...unfortunately, few of them are as deep, well done or supported as Stellaris.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

FarAway Sooner

Yeah.  The whole "Warp Lines as Roads Through the Galaxy" has some interesting selling points, but it's been overused.  My understanding was that they stripped it out of Stellaris because it was giving the AI a nervous breakdown and they wanted to create more of a "terrain in space" phenomenon.  That sort of dynamic worked fine in the original MoO, and it still lends itself well to puzzle-like games (like AI War 1 or 2).

I'm honestly OK with the way a few alternative space-age 4x games have handled it.  DWU and DW2 avoid warp lines altogether and just have ships jumping from place to place.  By limiting the range of an individual hyper jump, they create some terrain that way, as scarce stars between clusters can create bottlenecks.

Games like Endless Space 2 and Interstellar Space: Genesis both used a neat mechanic, where warp lines were much faster, but ships could travel between unconnected systems at a M-U-C-H  S-L-O-W-E-R  P-A-C-E.  Various games have also allowed ships to use Wormhole techology (making huge, instant jumps between two places), but sometimes they needed a certain technology to do it (or to do it safely). 

Just the straight "Warp Lines Only" mechanic has grown pretty stale for me, most of the time.  Stellaris has a lot of other interesting features, but I've always found the midgames to get very grindy.  I haven't played it in a year or two, so I probably ought to back and check it out sometime.

Destraex

I am not really interested in puzzle games. More interested in simulations. Especially at the stratgic level lately. Not many strategic games seem to be much more than puzzle hex or like stellaris, mechanical convienience or abstration games. It really stops me from diving in and learning a strategic game properly. I just don't believe in them. I can't seem to suspend my disbelief like I can with more tactical games.

jamus34

I liked the way Sword of the Stars implemented travel based on the race and lore development. 

Most needed star lanes however there was one who was free explore but they were slow as shit. They needed to build jump gates to travel quickly.
Insert witty comment here.