<RAGE RANT> FU Microsoft

Started by PanzersEast, December 12, 2015, 08:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martok

Quote from: chemkid on December 13, 2015, 07:32:52 AM
http://thehackernews.com/2015/12/microsoft-windows10-upgrade.html

enjoy the season.
chem!
Jesus!!  WTF is wrong with Microsoft???!  Do they actually want people to hate them even *more*???! 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

spelk

My thoughts...

QuoteDear Microsoft...

Even though I was forced to "put up" with your Windows 8 monstrosity of an OS, I am tired of being constantly nagged about the "opportunity" to install your "free" Windows 10 version.

My suffering Windows 8, has a task tray icon for it, it keeps info bubble flirting with me, and now it seems to dialogue flash me upon boot up with info and buttons about this limited offer of going over to Windows 10. Some poor users also have it pre-loaded on their machines for "free", using their connections and diskspace to harbour this next incarnation.

I am intrigued by your new attempt to save face, and restore some sort of integrity into your OS line, I mean a tablet/desktop hybrid designed by lowest common denominator baby button "Fisher Price" functionality was never going to set the IT world aflame with technical wizardry and awe.

But, theres one thing that kills my interest in a heartbeat, and thats being forced to suffer your own adverts for your new OS in my current one. Nagged and hounded into submission. This isn't going to happen.

Presenting this new OS as "free" also stinks of some trade off. A proprietary commercial OS, being handed out, almost too enthusiastically, sort of fills the air with skepticism and a bad smell. What are they getting out of this? What things are they peddling behind the scenes? What information of mine are they piping away and selling for profit somewhere? Those sort of questions cloud this ever persistent and often unwanted offer.

Privacy issues around the euphemism of "telemetry" abounds! Adverts interleaved into the very OS's structure! Applications, Games and DRM enforcement by the OS! This all sounds a little iffy, smells a little fishy.

So, stop trying to thrust this new vision of the world into your existing customer base, dusting the commercial spy with the "generously free" icing sugar!

"Taste it! Go on taste it! Taste my sweetness!"

"Are you sure you don't want me to bag it up, drop it off, on your current system, ready for you to taste it?"

"Remember have a little taste, before you get on with other things?"

"You know you want to"

"Before its too late"

"And then you'll have to pay for it"

Well, NO.

Theres already a free ethical OS out there, not built around commercial interests. I'll taste that before your dusty turd.

NOW STOP WITH THE NAGGING!

PanzersEast

Did a total wipe and clean install..... my FSX folder was 500gb alone, but was time to move to P3D anyway and it was bloated.  All my good data is on my Mac, this rig was gaming only so only saved games lost and no big deal.  Went with Win10 again because last install was an upgrade and I should have done this to start.....and will not have a choice anyway.

PE

solops

I got tired of the Win10 update notice. It seems to actually slow down some processes during the boot up. The three Win7 updates I found that cause the Win 10 update notice were:
KB3035583
KB2952664
KB3112343
I uninstalled them and have been much happier. If you follow my route, check the details on each update yourself before uninstalling.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

JasonPratt

Still totally happy with Win 8.1 (once I've made sure the start menu is properly functional with OpenStart or whatever it's called).

Still totally happy I haven't installed Win10 yet.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Anguille

Still haven't decided to go for win10 and don't see why (unless i buy a new computer but this won't happen any time soon).

I still have my computers running XP, 7 and 8.1

Actually i've come to like windows 8.1 and don't want to learn something new...again.

The windows 10 popup is starting to get on my nerves too!

Wburn

I have windows 10 on my laptop I have to say boot times are extremely slow. I mistakenly upgraded from 8.1 which was a POS but not as smelly as Win 10. I have Win 7 on my Desktop and am pleased with the performance. There are some instruction online to speed up boot times on Win 10 but after suffering through them it hasn't made any real difference on boot start up.

Wayne

Nefaro

Quote from: solops on December 15, 2015, 10:52:21 AM
I got tired of the Win10 update notice. It seems to actually slow down some processes during the boot up. The three Win7 updates I found that cause the Win 10 update notice were:
KB3035583
KB2952664
KB3112343
I uninstalled them and have been much happier. If you follow my route, check the details on each update yourself before uninstalling.

Didn't some article mention that MS has been resetting the Win10 installer stuff on a regular basis?  So even those who disable it will eventually get pestered again later?

Huw the Poo

Boggit

Still holding out with Win 7 Professional, but still getting the Upgrade offer screens. I am actually quite happy with Win 7, so why should I "want" to go to Windows 10?
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Staggerwing

I think MS is hoping that eventually most people will slip up and start the upgrade without realizing it before it's too late and then ,despite all the cursing, just stick with Win10 rather than go through the trouble of rolling their rigs back to whatever ancestor flavor of windows they had before.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Yskonyn

I have been a happy camper with Win10 since release . Did a few tweaks to prevent it from automatically downloading new drivers (very annoying feature especially concerning videocard drivers) and have gotten rid of UAC.
Its been fine all this time and performance is a lot better in this version of the OS.

Its also the only way to use DX12 which is a huge optimization pass of DirectX.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Yskonyn

User Account Control. The most annoying feature of Windows for single users since Vista.
It causes the annoying popups asking wether you are sure you want to execute a certain program and other crap like having to select 'Run as administrator' for some programs.
Disabling UAC gets rid of all that and if your account has admin privileges (which All accounts have if you're the only user) programs will always run in admin mode.
Of course security is lower but who cares?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."