Civ V - Gods and Kings Pre-Order

Started by TheCommandTent, May 31, 2012, 07:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCommandTent

I really wish if you already purchased it you could start pre-loading it.  I might have to get up really early to turn on my computer to start downloading it.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

tgb

Quote from: Barthheart on June 18, 2012, 06:24:39 PM
Bah! The reviews I've read, if the person didn't like the game before, they didn't like it with the expansion either. If they did like it before, they liked what the expansion brought to the game.

I enjoyed the vanilla game so it can only get better.  8)

Yes.  And I was pretty "meh" on the vanilla game, which is why I will wait for a sale.  I was hoping this would bring it closer to IV, but apparently not.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: tgb on June 18, 2012, 07:16:53 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on June 18, 2012, 06:24:39 PM
Bah! The reviews I've read, if the person didn't like the game before, they didn't like it with the expansion either. If they did like it before, they liked what the expansion brought to the game.

I enjoyed the vanilla game so it can only get better.  8)

Yes.  And I was pretty "meh" on the vanilla game, which is why I will wait for a sale.  I was hoping this would bring it closer to IV, but apparently not.

I'm actually quite glad it isn't bringing it closer to IV. We already have IV...why do we need IV : The Sequel?

meadbelly

Carp! I didn't realize this was coming out so soon. I don't have the time or the willpower not to play it. Gotta pass on purchase for a bit. Curse ye oh gods and kings!  :'(

Barthheart

First impressions are fairly good over at Civfanatics, and ther are a very critical crowd.

Yeah I'm also glad it's not a Civ IV sequel. Civ IV is fun and I still play it but CiV is a new and fresh take on the series... and it's got hexes!!!  8)

Can't play until tonight..... :P

Senex

Just came home from the store with it.
But I'm not going to install it until I finish my current vanilla Civ 5 game.

Or at least I'm going to try to.  (Hand already reaching for disk ....)

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Gusington

Anyone start that steampunk campaign yet?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Gusington on June 19, 2012, 03:32:46 PM
Anyone start that steampunk campaign yet?

Nope just the regular campaign.

Come to think of it I don't think I've ever played a scenario that came with a Civ game.  I always like to start from the beginning.  The first 100 turns are always my favorite.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

TheCommandTent

So far so good.  Little things here and there have been improved.  I just founded my first religion which you can then customize to suit your empire.  That was kind of cool.  I am not far enough to get my first spy yet.

Also I am pretty sure they improved the combat mechanics although I couldn't tell you exactly what they did.  Its different but I think its an improvement.

Nefaro

So.. is this new Religion stuff any good?  Or is it just naming fluff?

I was pretty disappointed to hear it would be in Civ5 before.  I kinda liked it in 4.   :-\ 

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Nefaro on June 19, 2012, 07:20:37 PM
So.. is this new Religion stuff any good?  Or is it just naming fluff?

I was pretty disappointed to hear it would be in Civ5 before.  I kinda liked it in 4.   :-\

So far I like the religion addition.

Basically you accumulate 'faith' points by building certain buildings (shrine, temple, etc.), getting in good with the religious city states or unlocking certain policies.  After you accumulate enough points you can found a 'Pantheon' which is an early religion bonus to your Civ V (You can pick from a number of them, most of which give you a bonus depending on the terrain you have around you).  Then after reaching the next 'faith' point level you found a religion.  You can pick from a list of I think 10 religions and their symbols (All the major ones I guess)  however, you can rename them to anything you like.  They all have the same base stats  (I guess they wanted to be P.C. and not offend any religions by varying the stats).  Then you get to chose two customizations from a list that give your religion different perks.  Then its back to accumulating more 'faith' points.  From here on out every time you reach the next level you get a great prophet who can build religious buildings, further customize your religion (it looks like up to 4 more times?) or spread your religion to cities.

It make sense and its nice to be able to customize your religion to fit your specific civilization and terrain inside your borders.

So for I am the only one in my game to found a religion so I am not sure how it plays out once there are others. (In the game there can only be 5 religions total in the world.)

I also just received my first spy.  Its not an actually unit on the board but a menu that looks like you can move him around to cities to spy or counterspy.  I haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Jarhead0331

I find the combat bonuses given to the..."Ethiopian Empire..." to be absolutely absurd. Somehow, the developers convinced themselves that the fact that Ethiopia wasn't colonized during the age of imperialism means that the ethiopians fielded a superior military.  Not.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bayonetbrant

It's not like the Austrians were the great diplomats they're portrayed as, either, but it makes for some interesting differentiation among the civs.  If you take off the "Ethiopian" or "French" or "Incan" label, you get some interesting distinctions that make for fun options in the game.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers