Unity of Command II - Steam Link and Q3 2019 release

Started by CJReich46, February 28, 2019, 01:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

devoncop

Quote from: Gusington on November 14, 2019, 02:02:46 PM
Sounds like a lot of game for the money. And the comparisons to Battle Academy and Panzer Corps makes me swoon, as I like both very much.

Picked it up today.

Very polished and all tutorials are now present and clearly presented.

I only dabbled with UOC1 despite enjoying it but this version has bags more potential.

So far so (very) good :bd:

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Ian C

Gusington

Sweet! Also sounds more accessible than the first game.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Quote from: Yskonyn on November 14, 2019, 10:31:15 AM
Is this game much like Panzer General, where once you know the order of which units to move when the scenario is 'solved'?
How is replayability of the game? Any quick battles or random battles?

By comparison to the answers already given, UoC1 is even more like Panzer General in this regard: in PG (and most of its successors, apparently including UoC2 now) your force composition can vary considerably based on how you choose to spend your influence between and during missions. That's much more limited in UoC1, which is partly a factor of the scale: you're throwing whole corps at the problem, which inherently restricts how much variation you can introduce into your setups in several ways. Between that and even briefer time constraints for getting missions done, UoC1 is much more of a puzzle-like game than any other PG-ish system I've played.

An inadvertent side-effect to the original system design, is that you have to choose between having your whole campaign randomly crushed by weather, or turning off weather factors totally (which sure doesn't reflect East Front action and strategy)! This is rarely an insta-kill fatal problem in other PG-ish games (and it seems like UoC2 has adjusted accordingly).

A little perversely, now that UoC2 is out, I'm thinking of attempting a UoC1 mega campaign and beating the thing at last!  ::) :coolsmiley:

(That didn't stop me from instantly buying UoC2, which Steam is selling for under $25.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

al_infierno

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 14, 2019, 07:29:53 PM

A little perversely, now that UoC2 is out, I'm thinking of attempting a UoC1 mega campaign and beating the thing at last!  ::) :coolsmiley:

Now there's an idea, one worthy of reviving the old "HA, I finally beat it!" thread.  I hope they do a new Eastern Front mega-campaign in the new game system, whenever they get around to that side of the DLC.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Yskonyn

Ok thanks guys! It seems like I'll have a new target for my loyalty coupon now that I've found out you can't stack coupons and CMO already gave me 50% off.
It feels like Christmas at Matrix for me. :)

They stated lifting the veil on Distant Worlds 2 near the end of the year as well so things couldn't have been better right now! 😊😄
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

demjansk1942

Is uoc2 played solo from either side or just allies?

FlickJax

Bought it, enjoying the tutorials, learnt a lot already :)

devoncop

Quote from: demjansk1942 on November 16, 2019, 06:17:53 AM
Is uoc2 played solo from either side or just allies?

The Campaign is allied side only.

Expansions likely to allow axis play I believe.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Yskonyn

Oh drat! I just found out Unity of Command 2 isn't published by Matrix anymore.  :nerd:
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Ian C

Quote from: Yskonyn on November 16, 2019, 11:03:28 AM
Oh drat! I just found out Unity of Command 2 isn't published by Matrix anymore.  :nerd:

Ah ha! So that's why it wasn't $60.

FlickJax

Really like this, best i have bought in a while....