Secrets of the Lost Tomb with the Wife

Started by airboy, April 08, 2020, 07:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

We started Secrets of the Lost Tomb this week.  My wife is playing Professor Forrestal and I'm playing Harrison Quardamendous the 13th.  Our opponent is The Pharaoh With the Blue Eyes - Rhaz Azul'ahamet. 

We are half way through the game and got very lucky on the first level.  Harrison the 13th found the rooms containing the Staff of Ra and the Ruby Scarab on the first level.  We defeated 3 Keepers of the Tomb to obtain the Staff of Ra (carried by Professor Forrestal) and two swarms of Carnivorous Scarabs to obtain the Ruby Scarab (carried by Harrison the 13th). 

Professor Forrestal kept getting cursed which slowed him down.  Harrison the 13th bartered with the Soul Monger giving up most of his soul shards (think monster souls) to purchase the Bow of Sagittarius - a mighty weapon.

Harrison the 13th penetrated the 3rd (and deepest level of the tomb) using his special power to scry the rooms locating the Well of Souls.  Professor Forrestal got doubly cursed by the 2 Sphinx Guardians while Harrison defeated the 2nd Sphinx.  Harrison gave Professor Forrestal his soul shards to barter with the Soul Monger to attempt to remove his curses.

Harrison was able to decipher and open the three locks on the sarcophagus in the Well of Souls opening the crypt and obtaining the Cowl of Anubis.  Professor Forrestal obtained a talisman which removed his curses, preventing future curses or blessings, but also causes him to take additional damage every time he gets hurt in combat.  Forrestal thought this was well worth getting rid of all of the tombs curses. 

airboy

This was a really interesting, over the top game.  We both enjoyed it a lot.

Nefaro

Good to hear.

Motivates me to punch mine out and learn it sooner.  O0

airboy

The game can be easily modified.  We are already talking about having Lo Pan as the big villain with Jack Burton and Li the adventurers.  Another option is having Manos - Hand of Fate as the villain and having a lot of crackpot effects.  {this is a really bad SF movie done by MST3K}.  The possibilities for weird opponents, heroes, and items is limitless.

I've already incorporated an alternate search rule for attempts to find treasure that I found on a discussion thread.

airboy

She liked the game so much I've been picking up expansions.  The third one was delivered this week.  I just sent paypal for the first two expansions after cold-contacting a guy on boardgamegeek who had them available for trade.  Hopefully all will be well on the transaction.

airboy

I've been able to pick up three of the expansions.  The last one does not interest me.  In one scenario of an expansion you are fighting Nazis to retrieve the Holy Grail.  Wonder how they came up with that?

Sir Slash

Great AB. If you suddenly go missing, we'll know where to look for you and who left you in there.  ::)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Nefaro

Quote from: airboy on April 24, 2020, 09:55:41 AM
I've been able to pick up three of the expansions.  The last one does not interest me.  In one scenario of an expansion you are fighting Nazis to retrieve the Holy Grail.  Wonder how they came up with that?

From what few reviews I've seen, they recommended getting as many expansions for Lost Tomb as possible.

Being a dungeon crawler style boardgame, that's what I normally expect.  They usually get much better with more "stuff".

I'm still wondering if they will ever reprint them.  Last I heard they had no solid plans but that was as of a couple years ago.

airboy

They claim that Secrets of the Lost Station is a follow-up.  But that used the "adventure book" format that Big Trouble in Little China uses.  I do not like that format as well as the open "Secrets of the Lost Tomb" setup because you limit the replay value and also limit the ability to make interesting house rules.

We are using a quite different room search table this time.  We are also brainstorming different villain's and heroes.  My wife wants to make a Mr. T character and I'm leaning towards Jack Burton.

I've got all of the 2nd Edition Mansions of Madness add-ons and don't think they add a lot to the game aside from additional adventures.  But those are the heart of the game itself.