Old World from Soren Johnson

Started by RedArgo, April 14, 2020, 01:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Those were supposed to be 'sealed.'

:/

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MC

Stuff I didn't know or forgot about because I'm too old to remember these things. I'm mostly referring to item 'c'.

The following was posted by the Old World developer on the Steam discussion board:

I realize this topic invokes strong feelings. However:

a) Old World didn't break any crowd-funding promises.

b) Old World didn't put the game up on Steam and then pull it off later.

c) Old World's publisher had run into financial difficulties and that publishing deal was cancelled, and the exclusive deal was what allowed the game to still be funded and made up to the full quality.

Even if someone considers themselves generally opposed to exclusives, they should be able to look at this case and understand how it is very different from the sorts of deals that have caused controversy. And they should be able to see how, in this case, an exclusive didn't deny them a game they were promised--instead it is what will give them a great game on any storefront they choose next year, delivering with an additional expansion alongside a complete game.

Gusington

Thanks for posting, I didn't know most of the above. Guess the Old World developers caught their share of flak for the Epic release...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

Quote from: MC on October 13, 2021, 08:11:52 AM
Stuff I didn't know or forgot about because I'm too old to remember these things. I'm mostly referring to item 'c'.

The following was posted by the Old World developer on the Steam discussion board:

I realize this topic invokes strong feelings. However:

a) Old World didn't break any crowd-funding promises.

b) Old World didn't put the game up on Steam and then pull it off later.

c) Old World's publisher had run into financial difficulties and that publishing deal was cancelled, and the exclusive deal was what allowed the game to still be funded and made up to the full quality.

Even if someone considers themselves generally opposed to exclusives, they should be able to look at this case and understand how it is very different from the sorts of deals that have caused controversy. And they should be able to see how, in this case, an exclusive didn't deny them a game they were promised--instead it is what will give them a great game on any storefront they choose next year, delivering with an additional expansion alongside a complete game.

I 100% do not blame the devs for re,easing on Epic in such circumstances.  Their logic is sound and I am happy to wait for what seems a superb product on what I consider to be a much more ethically acceptable platform than Epic.

It's a win win.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

devoncop

For anyone like myself eagerly awaiting the chance to buy Old World on Steam.....release date is 19th May...a couple of days from my birthday. Its fate !

Be nice to play a game like this with very competent AI and it may be an expansion will be released simultaneously O0

Geezer

That's three days before my 71st.  Happy Birthday to me!
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Gusington

71 is the new 70, as they say.

I am very psyched for this release, Day 1 purchase! Can't wait.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

Quote from: Gusington on April 12, 2022, 11:56:12 AM
71 is the new 70, as they say.

I am very psyched for this release, Day 1 purchase! Can't wait.

I will be 58 !

Though to be fair my attitude towards society  more closely resembles some crotchety 95 year old saying life was better in the Blitz  ;)

Anguille

JasonPratt

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 07, 2021, 02:51:59 PM
I hope it's ancient aliens!

It's probably an Aztec invasion. ;)

However, for your ancient-alien bronze age fix, see Egypt: Old Kingdom (sequel to Pre-dynastic Egypt). One of the free expansions allows you to salt the campaign with either an alien overlord invasion, or a mummy/zombie invasion. (I've played the game a lot myself, but haven't tried those. My guess is that the former adds extra resource gathering goals for your overlords at the risk of being zorched for non-compliance, possibly with some benefits along the way; and the latter adds more random combat throughout the game.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

The expansion was Carthage, wasn't it?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

jamus34

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 12, 2022, 12:42:09 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 07, 2021, 02:51:59 PM
I hope it's ancient aliens!

It's probably an Aztec invasion. ;)

However, for your ancient-alien bronze age fix, see Egypt: Old Kingdom (sequel to Pre-dynastic Egypt). One of the free expansions allows you to salt the campaign with either an alien overlord invasion, or a mummy/zombie invasion. (I've played the game a lot myself, but haven't tried those. My guess is that the former adds extra resource gathering goals for your overlords at the risk of being zorched for non-compliance, possibly with some benefits along the way; and the latter adds more random combat throughout the game.)

You obviously must appease your Goa'uld overlords. While waiting for liberation from...peoples.
Insert witty comment here.

devoncop

Quote from: Gusington on April 12, 2022, 12:51:58 PM
The expansion was Carthage, wasn't it?

There is a new ( free) dlc if you buy the game within 2 weeks of Steam release, which is an extra scenario purely based around the Aegean I believe.

Whether or not a further faction is also released at time of release only time will tell but the indications are that more factions are on the way at some point.

Rayfer

Quote from: Geezer on April 12, 2022, 11:03:15 AM
That's three days before my 71st.  Happy Birthday to me!

Hey Geezer...I hit the big 71 about three weeks after you. At least I know I'm not the oldest on these forums.  ;D

Gusington

The oldest is and always will be Windy, despite his chronological age.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd