Quasi-Annual Oinephyta (Summer 457 BC)

Started by MengJiao, October 12, 2020, 08:14:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

So, apparently after the Spartans won Tanagra, their army was such a wreck that they went home, leaving the happy and healthy losers (the Athenian Army) to seek out and crush the Thebans and their allies at Oinephyta and thus gain hegenomy over Thessally for a generation.

So what did Oinephyta look like?  It happened on the Asopos River and that river is on the Hoplite Platea map.  So here is a shot at Oinephyta (Mark V):
I'm using the hoplites and rules from Alexander against Persia (a war that apparently featured a lot of hoplites on both sides).  We pick up the action as the Thebans and their allies (played by the Persians -- 80% Greek here at least) start to fall apart (maybe).  They've had some very bad luck and their center commander has been killed and his replacement wounded while no Athenian (played by Alexander's forces who are mostly not Macedonian in this case) commanders have been killed.  I also neglected to read a lot of the fine print on the cavalry rules and for that reason, I think, the Athenian Cavalry is doing very well now that I think I understand the rules better.  Anyway...one hour into Oinephyta Mark V we have:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on October 12, 2020, 08:14:33 AM
They've had some very bad luck and their center commander has been killed and his replacement wounded while no Athenian (played by Alexander's forces who are mostly not Macedonian in this case) commanders have been killed.  I also neglected to read a lot of the fine print on the cavalry rules and for that reason, I think, the Athenian Cavalry is doing very well now that I think I understand the rules better.  Anyway...one hour into Oinephyta Mark V we have:

But just a few minutes later and it is clear that the Theban center is caving in and the battle is lost.