Computer Gaming - One Monitor or Two?

Started by ArizonaTank, June 11, 2021, 09:25:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

Quote from: z1812 on June 11, 2021, 10:00:53 AM
I suppose like many things it is a personal preference. I went from 2 screens to a 34 inch curved 3440 x 1440 screen, and I prefer it. I do keep an iPad or small laptop handy should I need some information while I am gaming.

This is what I did as well. Sometimes you'd wish to have another monitor as well, but likewise I have my iPad with me.
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Gusington

I shopped around for weeks, definitely a rabbit hole.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

al_infierno

I'm also a one monitor pleb.   :arr:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

ArizonaTank

Quote from: SirAndrewD on June 13, 2021, 10:38:13 PM
One works for me.

With such a wide screen, do you have any trouble running games that don't like to be windowed?
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

MiniHexer

Well I have some good info on multi-monitors.

First get all monitors the same size. and get the edges as thin as possible, you can put the centre monitor just infront of the two side monitors edges to further reduce the edges

Now you need a graphics card like a GTX 1060 or better the GTX1060 must be four or more years old so there is prob a lot better..

NOW this is the important thing, dont use them as multi-montors. you have to pump out three times the graphics power to run them, imagine a flight sim with 3 differrent views but of the same area. the Nvidia display app that runs your card will allow you to set all three monitors as one cutting the power needed, you get a 5720x1080 res, it treats them as a wide screen monitor, the differrence is the monitors can be 32inch so you get a 96inch display at half the cost of a wide screen.

now once you have the 5720x1080 res , many games now give the option to run at the new res.

you will probably need adapter for a couple of $ from amazon. make sure the monitors have HDMI inputs because the setup will just get adapters to fit.

I plat SPMBT & SPWW2 at 6000 res, its awsome

PS: you have to set the bevels when setting the monitors to be treated as one, you cant do it later, watch some youtube tutorials beforehand

Dammit Carl!

I run two monitors (used to such a setup from work), but honestly just "game," on one.  The other screen is where I queue up other programs and whatnot.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on June 16, 2021, 06:40:45 AM
I run two monitors (used to such a setup from work), but honestly just "game," on one. 

+1

My second monitor is for displaying the game manual or a guide, a real time map in a flight sim, the message log and TacView window in Command Operations, ...

Both are 32 inch but the main one is of a higher quality.

FarAway Sooner

I just use one, but mostly play things full-screen or Alt+TAB as needed.  Occasionally I'll drag up a tablet or an iPad (or even a Kindle Fire) if I need to refer to something else while I'm playing.  I've found one bigger monitor is a lot more gorgeous than I'd thought it would be. 

2K monitors are now MUCH more affordable than they were a few years ago, and unless you already have (or plan to get) a top-end graphics card (in the next year or two), you likely wouldn't be able to get decent frame speeds on the 4K view in any event.  I have a mid-level GPU by modern standards that handles the 2K games fine, but I'm also not a guy who plays many games where FPS performance is critical for me.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: ArizonaTank on June 14, 2021, 10:54:00 AM
With such a wide screen, do you have any trouble running games that don't like to be windowed?

Sometimes.  There are third party apps like Flawless Widescreen that help. 

Most older games look fine, they just occupy the 16:9 space. 

It does take some getting used to but I don't regret going super ultrawide, especially for Flight Sims and FPS.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback