Main Menu

Torchlight II

Started by Jarhead0331, September 03, 2012, 07:10:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Gusington on September 23, 2012, 02:28:42 PM
Nefaro I like that 'hunting' dynamic you describe above...getting certain weapons for killing certain baddies. Sounds cool.

Damn you all now I am growing interested...

Me too....I bet I buy by end of the day:(

Bison

Its a much better game to play solo than D3, which is the way I like to play my hack and slash.  Alone, unafraid and gathering lootz for myself!

I will play some multiplayer though just to check it out and get better lootz~

Nefaro

Quote from: Bison on September 23, 2012, 01:06:09 PM
Its not that ranged is bad, but really more of a need for me to rekey hotkeys to make them more convient.

As I said, using the default attack on ranged weapons is a serious pain in the ass since the hotspots on mobs just don't seem to 'catch'.   

I dunno how many times I've tried to fire a pistol/bow/whatever while pointing at an enemy, while it's highlighted and actually showing that I'm pointing at it, and yet my character will start walking right into melee range with said character I was attempting to shoot from a distance.   This was also a problem with the original TL.  So I gotta use the "Hold Position" hotkey constantly.   Diablo and other ARPGs have done this better, although it's still a good idea to keep that hotkey at the ready.

I just remapped mine to the 'D' key, then mapped 'W' to the "Move To" key (helps keep you from having to constantly hold down the Left Mouse Button to Move - my carpal tunnel thanks me LOTS), and basically put all the spell/weapon switches and Quick Potion hotkeys around the WASD area.  It's much better, and I'm glad they added the whole key remapping section this time around because the first one didn't have it & I had to jack around in config files to do so.  Once again.. listening to customers.

For $20, you get the same (or more) fun out of it than you can with the $60 Diablo 3.   And what looks to be more replayability too.

Gusington

There are firearms in Torchlight II?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on September 23, 2012, 07:35:18 PM
There are firearms in Torchlight II?

Yes, it has some steampunk stuff in it too.

Gusington

HOLY CRAP...can you give a slightly more detailed description of the steampunk stuff you've encountered? Type slow :)

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on September 23, 2012, 07:38:29 PM
HOLY CRAP...can you give a slightly more detailed description of the steampunk stuff you've encountered? Type slow :)

It's the usual steampunk stuff in a mainly fantasy-focused RPG.

The weapons you can have are pistols, rifles(?), "shotgonnes", and cannon (literally).  The Engineer class has a tab full of skills that create various robots and automated turrets.  The Outlander class is primarily a ranged style with numerous skills that require either 'gonnes' or bows to be used.  There are some steam-robot types of enemies here & there, too.   

I take it you have never played the first one, then?  It had this stuff, too, although not quite as much variety (as with everything else).

Bison

I've got an outlander (he uses a bow and dual "black powder" pistols) and a bezerker.  I really dig the charcter options in this game.   You are offered a much wider range of options on how to spec your character than Diablo 3.  The best part is that so far all the skills seem to have an actual play purpose.  None of the bs from D3 where you activate a skill for .3 seconds worth of effects.  I hated that concept.

I think I'll end up re-starting my Outlander because I think I over spread my skills.  I just wanted to see the various effects so I put points into far too many.  Where as my Bezerker I've specialized in a few as I level up and am much slower to add new skills.  It seems to be working out much better so far.

son_of_montfort

You do know you can repec your skills in town, right? Don't restart your Outlander. I think the respec guy has a weird circle thing about his head.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Bison

Yeah but its only the last three points that you'd spent.  Unless in later chapters there is a full respec, in which case that would be the way to go.

son_of_montfort

Well, that's sort of crap. I thought it was a full respec.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Bison

Well so far I'm into act 2 and both towns it's been a last 3 point spent respec.  I'm not sure the level cap so it might not matter in the end.  I will say that skill builds have a pretty big influence over the type of gear your looking for much more so than D3.  Makes the hunt for lootz a little more fun and interesting.

Bison

The pattern I'm seeing on dungeons so far is that they are for the most part 2 level dungeons w/ a 3d level being the boss room for the main quest line.  The random dungeons are 1 or 2 lvl dungeons.  I'll admit that I was hoping for some deeper dungeon delves, but on the brightside they are pretty big dungeon levels with a nice mix of puzzles, monsters and maze elements.

My frame rate is getting hammered badly on some of the larger battles.  Not sure what is the exact offender, but when you get a bunch of smaller mobs w/ the boss I think the sure number of particle effects is what is causing the slow down.  I need to mess around with the settings (it might be my gpu), but I need to stop hacking and slashing and do the testing.

Gusington

No I never played the original...engineer class?!?!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Bison

Gus you owe it to yourself to play torchlight 2.