Main Menu

X-COM Preorders

Started by Jarhead0331, September 07, 2012, 06:15:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DennisS

I was aghast that the turn-based goodness of the original was being done away with...but looking at the most recent videos, it appears that this was put back in. When did this happen? Does it go to turn-based when an enemy is spotted?

Pretty nice head shot splatters, too, along with the rag doll physics.

Tpek

Quote from: DennisS on September 20, 2012, 09:00:37 PM
I was aghast that the turn-based goodness of the original was being done away with...but looking at the most recent videos, it appears that this was put back in. When did this happen? Does it go to turn-based when an enemy is spotted?

Pretty nice head shot splatters, too, along with the rag doll physics.

I believe you are confusing this game with another.
Perhaps with the X-COM shooter title for consoles,
Or the UFO: After____ series.

airboy

I watched the video preview.  Looks like Friaxis turned X-Com into a real-time shooter with minimal team action and a greatly weakened strategic game.

Tpek

Quote from: airboy on September 21, 2012, 12:19:09 PM
I watched the video preview.  Looks like Friaxis turned X-Com into a real-time shooter with minimal team action and a greatly weakened strategic game.

Are you sure you are not all confusing this X-COM game with another?

Capn Darwin

I would say he is confused. There is XCOM Enemy Unknown, a turn based, squad based game coming October 9th and was shown a number of times at length at PAX a few weeks back and there is a game called xcom which is a FPS type game set in the 50s or so also being worked by a 2K dev group. Two very different animals.
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

Sunflare

The new XCom out on the 9th of October is completely turn based.  They want to show that turn based games can be successful in today's markets.  They have added a lot of cut scenes and gun cams to give it a RTS feel, but it is all turn based.  Everything I have read has been positive and says it is finally a true successor to the original XCOM.

airboy

Guilty as charged.  There seem to be three different Xcoms in development.
Frixasis Game is the main discussion of this thread.
The 1950s time era first person shooter xcom like game
The indy development Xcom game that is closest to the original [see http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/69341191/xenonauts]

Arctic Blast

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that none of these has ever been an RTS.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this one. Should be coming out right about the time I maybe finish Borderlands 2 for the first time and need a change of pace.  ;D

I'm also definitely following Xenonauts.

And I'm absolutely baffled by the number of people (not talking about folks here) who seem to need to choose one or the other. We've waited this long for a really good X-Com, people. Both is a viable option. Then again, this is one of a thousand reasons why I increasingly find myself loathing the majority of gamers.

FarAway Sooner

UFO-Afterlight (the one set on Mars, I remember) used a "continuous play" dynamic that allowed for stop-and-pause tactics, but didn't use specific UGO-IGO dynamics.  Orders were issued, took a number of Action Points to play out, and then play paused to issue new orders when an Action completed.  Basically played like Turn-based.

DennisS

Quote from: Capn Darwin on September 21, 2012, 01:41:50 PM
I would say he is confused. There is XCOM Enemy Unknown, a turn based, squad based game coming October 9th and was shown a number of times at length at PAX a few weeks back and there is a game called xcom which is a FPS type game set in the 50s or so also being worked by a 2K dev group. Two very different animals.

Yep, that's it. Hooray for being confused!!! The very notion of a real time X-Com makes me want to go into a base attack mode with rocket launchers and alien grenades!

Capn Darwin

I have no love loss for RTS games in general. When I first saw the words XCOM remake I was all stoked until I saw if was a FPS style game and was pissed they used the XCOM name. Then Firaxis jumped in the the Right and True XCOM and all is good in the world. All of the game play and even the multiplayer looks out-friggin-standing. It's sad to say from a man in his upper 40's that I'm counting the days for a game release, but I secure enough in my man-gaming nature to do it.  ;D

17 days and counting...
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

eyebiter

tgb

Quote from: eyebiter on September 24, 2012, 10:25:42 AM
XCOM demo live on steam now

http://store.steampowered.com/app/200510/

Is it?  I tried it a couple of minutes ago and all I got was the "busy" icon and then nothing.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Me too.  I suspect they're overwhelmed at this point.  Does that make the Steam server a plucky band of survivors and us the slavering horde?  I need work on my slavering technique.

tgb

I guess this is what happens when you market through Facebook.