Main Menu

X-COM Preorders

Started by Jarhead0331, September 07, 2012, 06:15:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capn Darwin

Bison, there aren't any elite soldiers in the DLC. What you get is the Old XCOM hair style, and a variant armour style for most of the armours in game. You also get the ability to set the color of the armour. Useful for puting your rookies in red so they stand out during play.
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

Capn Darwin

There is new DLC on the horizon with little 3-5 mission "side quests" where your team deploys to a location to do some things, get some friends/bling and then jet back to base to continue on the good fight. Cool thing is new region specific art and maybe some new toys.

Bison

Quote from: Capn Darwin on October 23, 2012, 08:42:12 PM
Bison, there aren't any elite soldiers in the DLC. What you get is the Old XCOM hair style, and a variant armour style for most of the armours in game. You also get the ability to set the color of the armour. Useful for puting your rookies in red so they stand out during play.

Hmm...lame.  I have been using it the whole time and it certainly didn't make my trooper more elite no matter what color of suit they were wearing! 

Thanks for the heads up Capt.

LongBlade

Quote from: jomni on October 23, 2012, 08:33:13 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 23, 2012, 11:02:44 AM
What is the "SHIV bug"?

You will not be able to deploy SHIVs into battle after the first one. So now it's just waste of money.

Well, that would suck. Let me see if that bug is in my game. BRB
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

LongBlade

Quote from: LongBlade on October 23, 2012, 08:45:35 PM
Quote from: jomni on October 23, 2012, 08:33:13 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 23, 2012, 11:02:44 AM
What is the "SHIV bug"?

You will not be able to deploy SHIVs into battle after the first one. So now it's just waste of money.

Well, that would suck. Let me see if that bug is in my game. BRB

OK, I'm good.

I did notice the sound cuts out a little.

Also, I fully upgraded my SHIV before making one, so it levitates and has a plasma cannon on the mark 1 issue. Maybe that helps?

jomni

Yeah maybe the upgrade helps.  Any SHIVs destroye in battle in your game?  Mike was destroyed and the replacement refuses to deploy. And to think these robots should not have morale issues. Lol

Jarhead0331

Anyone else having a low alloy supply problem? There just never seems to be enough...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Capn Darwin

Never seems to be enough money or resources most of the time. Hitting the base and large ufos will get you good amounts of alloy. And other things too.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Capn Darwin on October 24, 2012, 08:16:45 AM
Never seems to be enough money or resources most of the time. Hitting the base and large ufos will get you good amounts of alloy. And other things too.

I've been avoiding hitting the base...is that what triggers the end game?  I have a very experienced and fairly well equipped team of 6 commandos. I'm thinking I could take it down, but I don't want the game to end.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

jomni

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 24, 2012, 08:21:48 AM

I've been avoiding hitting the base...is that what triggers the end game?  I have a very experienced and fairly well equipped team of 6 commandos. I'm thinking I could take it down, but I don't want the game to end.

Attacking the base is just the beginning.

There are lots of useless stuff from crashed ships that you can sell.  But still money is hard to come by and spending them is easy.  This leads to lots of tough choices.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: jomni on October 24, 2012, 08:38:03 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 24, 2012, 08:21:48 AM

There are lots of useless stuff from crashed ships that you can sell.  But still money is hard to come by and spending them is easy.  This leads to lots of tough choices.

Yeah...my problem isn't money, its alloy.  I sell plenty of crap in the grey market.  Wish there was a way to manufacture or convert money into alloy.  UFO landings and crashes seem too far and few between.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

W8taminute

I read at another site that you want to assault that base earlier rather than later.  The game adjusts the alien types you encounter based on how developed your tech and troops are.  Last night I decided not to wait anymore and launched the attack.  Everyone died but that was my own doing.  Basically this mission looks easy enough and now that I'm familiar with the layout of the battlefield and retry the mission tonight but more carefully.

I don't have any alloy problems.  At last count I believe I have 148 units.  My problem is the lack of chyrsallid corpses so I can make chitin armour plates.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

jomni

I haven't used chitin armor at all.
What benefits does it give you and who do you assign it to?

CptHowdy

Quote from: jomni on October 24, 2012, 05:04:47 PM
I haven't used chitin armor at all.
What benefits does it give you and who do you assign it to?

supposed to reduce melee damage. only two units that do melee. berserker and chrysalid. i have found no need for it. on my 2nd playthrough on normal difficulty, perhaps you might find a use for it on classic or impossible. i have only used archangel once and that was to get the achievement for killing an enemy while airborne. i stick with carapace until i get titan and ghost.

LongBlade

Titan is very useful.

I've developed the tech for Ghost but not made any yet.