Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

This thread probably wasn't the place to introduce a discussion of the merits of hyper-realistic accuracy vs. good enough.  DCS does what it says it does very well, and there is no reason for it to do anything different.

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

Great breakdown video with Wags of the 2024 and Beyond trailer from DCS.

2:55, wow! only a matter of time before DCS has player controllable ground vehicles of the same fidelity as current aircraft modules. Very exciting reveal.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

CaptainKoloth

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 17, 2024, 04:06:16 PMGreat breakdown video with Wags of the 2024 and Beyond trailer from DCS.

2:55, wow! only a matter of time before DCS has player controllable ground vehicles of the same fidelity as current aircraft modules. Very exciting reveal.

Well, to be fair that's a "matter of DCS time", so maybe in the next decade 😁

And I'll note that I a massive DCS fan and own nearly every module. But at the same time I've learned to be realistic about their timeframes, and this isn't the first time they've said they're working toward the high-fidelity ground vehicles as a goal. And make no mistake, I'll be the first to put down my cash when they do.

Toonces

I've felt that the ground game was really underutilized.  Combined Arms is such a good start.  I'm glad they're going to give this a better treatment.  It will greatly expand the scope of the battlefield!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Redwolf

Heatblur heating up the F4. Online manual available.

DCS Unified version coming, no more open beta that everybody uses anyway:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/newsletters/aafb5eb2c13e2529fae26bf92990ba23/

Redwolf

Destraex

Quote from: Redwolf on January 27, 2024, 07:51:25 PMHeatblur heating up the F4. Online manual available.

DCS Unified version coming, no more open beta that everybody uses anyway:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/newsletters/aafb5eb2c13e2529fae26bf92990ba23/

A good move in general really. I am betting a test version turns up again and that this is just a move to get the majority of non testers over to the stable version where they should be while making sure the latest updates get to the stable version faster.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

^I disagree. Personally, I think it will lead to a slower update schedule. They won't release a patch until its considered "stable". For what its worth, for all the years I used the beta branch, I can actually count the times I had a CTD on my fingers.

I guess we'll see how it goes.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Destraex

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 27, 2024, 10:30:38 PM^I disagree. Personally, I think it will lead to a slower update schedule. They won't release a patch until its considered "stable". For what its worth, for all the years I used the beta branch, I can actually count the times I had a CTD on my fingers.

I guess we'll see how it goes.
Yep. Fingers crossed they treat the unified build like the BETA servers everybody uses as the stable build anyway.

Redwolf

Nice video. "Real F-14 Pilot Flies the DCS Tomcat". Very instructional, e.g. in using the throttle as a flight control.

Redwolf

The Mirage F1 is my new favorite toy.

New enough to have a reasonable user interface, old enough to not have too many multiplexed targeting systems for weapons.

Jarhead0331

Pre-orders are open for the Halfghanistan map. I was surprised and disappointed by some of the omissions from the included geography, but who am I kidding? I'll get it.

Apparently, eastern and northern Afghanistan are in the works. It is not clear to me whether there will be separate charges for these maps or if they will come with the initial SW purchase. Based on the store page, this initial module can be purchased for $23.99 now, or you can pay $48.99 for the entire map now. Both prices are reduced for EA.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Destraex

Strange way of doing it. I initially read it as the early access module being $20 and you get the full map later or later you pay $40 in ealry access when the larger map is available even if its still early access.

I wonder what the reason was for the devs deciding to release a smaller map first. Must be a vast area to model?

Skoop

Spent the past couple months putting my study level 737 and A320 through the paces in MSFS2020.  I can't say how awesome it is to have a world map that's decently modeled right out of the box.  This whole DCS map thing is going to have to be redone.  They really should offer a global map that's moderately detailed, and let people buy upgraded areas if they choose to.  Half the time servers don't even run these maps cause people just don't buy them.   

Destraex

Quote from: Skoop on March 28, 2024, 07:41:15 PMSpent the past couple months putting my study level 737 and A320 through the paces in MSFS2020.  I can't say how awesome it is to have a world map that's decently modeled right out of the box.  This whole DCS map thing is going to have to be redone.  They really should offer a global map that's moderately detailed, and let people buy upgraded areas if they choose to.  Half the time servers don't even run these maps cause people just don't buy them.   
I like the idea. But I don't know that it would be workable.